McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

That's an interesting point you raise - the MP4-25/26 nose in itself is already 2012-legal I think, or you could maybe lower the whole thing slightly and it would be legal. I wonder. The concept has served them relatively well. Surely with 2 years of running data of the nose, they would stick with a nose design concept that is already legal, rather than a rethink to a CT-01 nose anyways?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

raymondu999 wrote:From page 34 :mrgreen:
raymondu999 wrote:After all this speculation; it would be an absolute tragedy if the MP4-27 turned out to be a very conservative, no-frills design :lol:
Having said that, I don't it will be the case. But it would be an absolute tragedy if it was.
depends which way you look at it. The RB7 design wasn't really any frills like the U pods or the blade roll hope etc. They just done the basics better than anyone else and got every single part working well together.

Richard
Richard

Surely a no frills design would be a radical departure after the last 2 years?

No one will be complaining if gets results.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

McLaren is bracing itself for a battle over the legality of its new MP4-27

"There are technical innovations on the car which will be immediately obvious when you see them," said McGrath, who added that McLaren is "getting ready for a fight" over its new machine.

It's going to be an exciting season!!!

snorri788
snorri788

Now here is a car under a sheet we CAN speculate on:

Definately no "croc" nose. The interesting thing for me is the shape of the sidepods and around the cockpit. It looks as if there might be similar extended turning vanes like what we have heard about the new F12. Ther first thing I thought of when i was the bumps were outboard wingmirrors (although now illegal).

silversurf3r

I made the same mistake it's the MP4-25:

and from F1 FANATIC - MP4-25 Launch:

= same image.

snorri788
snorri788

Is that a connected sharkfin at the back? I thought they were banned?

Strike that. Just realised it's the MP4-25.

C'mon Mclaren put us out of our misery and show us a picture!! [-o<
Last edited by snorri788 on 31 Jan 2012, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

Holm86

What time tomorrow is the launch?

snorri788
snorri788

Holm86 wrote:What time tomorrow is the launch?
Coverage starts at 11 AM GMT on the McLaren webiste.

Early lunch break for me!

raymondu999

astracrazy wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:From page 34 :mrgreen:
raymondu999 wrote:After all this speculation; it would be an absolute tragedy if the MP4-27 turned out to be a very conservative, no-frills design :lol:
Having said that, I don't it will be the case. But it would be an absolute tragedy if it was.
depends which way you look at it. The RB7 design wasn't really any frills like the U pods or the blade roll hope etc. They just done the basics better than anyone else and got every single part working well together.
I meant not in terms of car performance - I meant, in terms of the banter here. We have pages and pages of excited speculation, and if they came up with a no-frills car, then it would have been much ado over nothing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

horse

There is something very odd going on. Autosport were running a story regarding potential challenges to the 27 which had the following link and title:

McLaren ready for legality fight over new MP4-27‎

It has now been taken down, however. What did it say that was controversial enough to remove it? I note that sky have put up a report based on that story, but I'm not seeing anything particularly controversial in it.

McLaren ready for legal fight
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

horse wrote:There is something very odd going on. Autosport were running a story regarding potential challenges to the 27 which had the following link and title:

McLaren ready for legality fight over new MP4-27‎

It has now been taken down, however. What did it say that was controversial enough to remove it? I note that sky have put up a report based on that story, but I'm not seeing anything particularly controversial in it.

McLaren ready for legal fight
Plenty!!! lol at McLaren

Edit: You're welcome Raymond! :))
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 31 Jan 2012, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Fantastic work Crucial! Cheers mate
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

horse

Thanks Crucial. Good work on recovering the original. I'm still not seeing anything particularly revealing and the only controversial part might be that he seems to be a little in conflict with Martin Whitmarsh's "logical evolution".

I mean what's wrong with saying that you'll see the obvious stand-out parts? Or that they want to make it quick over a single lap? IDK

EDIT: Perhaps McLaren didn't like the word "whupping" in relation to their own team???
Last edited by horse on 31 Jan 2012, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

raymondu999

Perhaps the controversy lies around the last 2 paragraphs?

I'm very curious though. How do the engineers know, "definitely" that their car is faster? Ok, they can run simulations to know the max theoretical pace of their car. But how do they know it of the RBR? Mods, if you feel this is digressing too much, feel free to move the post.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法