McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

Some alternitive liveries:

Dark grey:

White:
(Looks like a Hispania)

Larger: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7146/6770 ... bd3e_b.jpg

snorri788
snorri788

That looks unbelievably good in black.

Can we have an orange one please!

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

KeiKo403 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:bit strange making comments about battles regarding the car being legal before its even released.

Its something I'd expect to here after the car is released. i.e let people find things themselves and say these comments as a reaction to people questioning the car. This way they are virtually telling everyone the car could possibly not be legal? Unless its something so obvious, why wait.
McLaren are bound to have been in contact with Charlie & FIA throughout the design process. I know that the FIA have recently back tracked with Lotus' anti dive solution but McLaren aren't stupid enough to launch a car with legality issues if they haven't had it confirmed as legal yet. Surely?? #-o
PR I suspect, get as many people tuning as possible by suggesting that there'll be interesting things to observe that may or may not be illegal. I suspect that they've pushed the envelope as much as other teams but we won't really see how until 2nd/3rd test when the parts are put on the car. No way they'll give away copyable secrets at the unveiling.

astracrazy
astracrazy

ESPImperium wrote:Some alternitive liveries:
Black looks very good. Perhaps like a black chrome would be amazing (black but the same chrome shine as we get atm)

White/Red would be more iconic (from the olden days) maybe a peal white so its not like hrt lol
snorri788 wrote: Can we have an orange one please!
you'll never get orange in reality. Wouldn't go down well with vodafone

ps there is a thread in general chat which got bumped from last year about this (macca liveries)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The grey one with a little bit of chrome of white to offset the blackness would be nice.

The White/Red one would hark back to the 80s to mid ninties.

Its only when you go to the McLaren team shop that you get to see where a change in livery is posible for 2012.

PlatinumZealot

Shakeman wrote:
horse wrote:
Shakeman wrote:A cynic (me) would suggest these "legal fight" comments are just trolling for views for their car launch.
This is very possible too! But then why pull the story and who has pulled it, McLaren or Autosport?
Maybe it was an off the record interview that found itself on the record.

It's quite un-McLaren like to be quite so "honest" about their drivers in public.
You see, for those who are sneaky of mind, it is obvious that saying Vettel was the secret to the RB7's speed is a sarcastic way of saying "we found out your secrets!"

I can't believe you guys didn't read it like that.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

Hangaku wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:... McLaren aren't stupid enough to launch a car with legality issues if they haven't had it confirmed as legal yet. Surely?? #-o
Perhaps this is what the article is eluding to. I think that perhaps McLaren are confident that their car is 100% legal, and maybe they have had sign-off from the FIA / Charlie. As such, this press release (or PR stunt, whatever) is a challenge to the other teams.

It's no coincidence that such a statement is coming from the first major team to release!
Haven't they learned from the F-duct to just shut their pie holes when you have a innovative device that nobody even notices or cares to ask about? ](*,) ](*,)
That was half a second advantage in the bag given away to the whole field! Can't stand Mclaren sometimes.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Joie de vivre

wow, dark grey is absolutely stunning

too bad they'll probably go with chrome again i guess

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

n smikle wrote: You see, for those who are sneaky of mind, it is obvious that saying Vettel was the secret to the RB7's speed is a sarcastic way of saying "we found out your secrets!"

I can't believe you guys didn't read it like that.
I too did think it sounded a bit like..."JB & LH are better than Vettel. The RB has a (naughty?) secret to it's pace and we've found it. Look out RBR"

Is the Newey era over :?:

gibells
gibells

I have always liked white next to chrome. Marrying the rocket red in somehow would be great.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

have you got the dark one in a larger version please that would look awesome as my background :D

astracrazy
astracrazy

we've had this livery since 2006, so even if they could spice it up a little bit would be great.

raymondu999

The black-red would be absolutely wicked though. But we're digressing.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

Pup
Pup

I don't believe an ounce of that interview.

First, the McLarens of the past few years have been anything but conservative. Secondly, while there were certainly a few races where the 26 was faster than the RB, you could hardly say that it was faster for the season as a whole, or at the end of the season. Third, we've heard enough snarky comments from McLaren about the RB to know that they do believe that Newey was up to something in Q3. And finally, I can't see anyone at McLaren outside of a few select people giving interviews to the press, much less interviews in which they praise competing drivers for getting more out of their machinery than their own, and in which they invite protests by admitting that their design is at least borderline illegal.

So I'm calling this one complete and utter BS - which is probably why it was pulled from Autosport lickety split.

ell66
ell66

Pup wrote:I don't believe an ounce of that interview.

First, the McLarens of the past few years have been anything but conservative. Secondly, while there were certainly a few races where the 26 was faster than the RB, you could hardly say that it was faster for the season as a whole, or at the end of the season. Third, we've heard enough snarky comments from McLaren about the RB to know that they do believe that Newey was up to something in Q3. And finally, I can't see anyone at McLaren outside of a few select people giving interviews to the press, much less interviews in which they praise competing drivers for getting more out of their machinery than their own, and in which they invite protests by admitting that their design is at least borderline illegal.

So I'm calling this one complete and utter BS - which is probably why it was pulled from Autosport lickety split.
I agree 100%, however i remember Mclaren Engineers brought up some flawed stat to try to prove they had a faster car than Ferrari in 2010, when realistically it was the 3rd best car on most tracks. To much number crunching and not enough common sense, seems to be a bit of trait within the organization.
None the less cant wait to see the car tomorrow, i don't care if its simple or boring, as long as the thing is fast ill be happy.