Singapore GP 2011 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for Vettel to clinch the title here. Will he?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 82

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Singapore GP 2011 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

@5LiveF1
The Kerb on the APEX of turn 14 has also been removed...
Those kurbs are dangerous.

What id have done is brought the wall into play plaging the wall about a meter away from the white line.

tvilhena
tvilhena

ESPImperium wrote:
@5LiveF1
The Kerb on the APEX of turn 14 has also been removed...
Those kurbs are dangerous.

What id have done is brought the wall into play plaging the wall about a meter away from the white line.
I just heard on BBC that it is turn 13 not 14.

Traction

Vettel making up lap times in Sectors 1 and 3...sector 2 losing time.....
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

WhiteBlue

The Ferraris are fast on the super soft tires. Alonso could be competitive in race pace. Webber is pathetic compared to Vettel. He is slow and ran into the back of Timo Glock's car in FP1. The Mercs are 2s behind the top teams and McLaren seem to have had a bad day. Button lost most of FP2 with a stalled engine that woukld not take reverse gear and Hamilton wasn't happy with his setup all day long. It looks like we could have Vettel on Pole and Alonso on the front row tomorrow.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

volarchico
volarchico

It surprises me that people who have been around F1 for awhile still make predictions for qualifying based on FP1 and FP2. I mean, you can tell the general differences between the cars, but they still have FP3 to refine and actual Q1, Q2, and Q3 to get things right (or wrong)! Ferrari, McLaren, and RB generally all have a good chance for front row (with RB most likely on pole).

godlameroso

pole in the high 1:44's
Saishū kōnā

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Ill say there will be a race without the Hispania and possibly the Virgin cars.

107% time will be in the 1:53 to 1:53.5 area.

It would mean Glock would miss out by a tenth or two, enough for the stewards to let him in, but with his wager on Vettel, id say no so he cant influence anything.

raymondu999

I was touching those kerbs and kicking them a bit on Wednesday night; I hope I didn't strip a screw or something.

Anyone have vids of Glock and Webber coming together in FP1? I'm sat very far from a TV monitor on the circuit and couldn't see much of it!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bill shoe
bill shoe

Schumacher and Rosberg are at roughly opposite ends of the top-speed chart. Schumacher is 12 kph faster than Rosberg. I would think they are both using the same max-downforce configuration here, so equal drag. Maybe Rosberg is nursing an older practice engine with lower revs?

William
William

ESPImperium wrote:Ill say there will be a race without the Hispania and possibly the Virgin cars.

107% time will be in the 1:53 to 1:53.5 area.

It would mean Glock would miss out by a tenth or two, enough for the stewards to let him in, but with his wager on Vettel, id say no so he cant influence anything.
Wasn't the off throttle blowing reinstated because the smaller teams agreed to not file a protest(the FIA deeming it illegal) in exchange for not having to worry about the 107%?(can't remember)

If so there's no need to worry about them not being able to race

vall
vall

At the end FP2 when teams did long runs, I looked to me that Ferrari (Alonso) was fastest. The fuel loads are of course unknown

raymondu999

Didn't look very happy on the primes though, Although the primes here are softs
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: Mercedes GP W02

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Unlikely ferraripilot.

The commentators were saying that the final sector was made for the Red Bull.
The W02 suffers on RB7 strengths, and it proved that in all the timing in the final sector.

He was 0.7 down after 2 sectors, then lost 1.4 seconds in the final sector. So while the reality may be that the car isnt 2 seconds of the pace, that final sector is not good for the Merc according to the guys in the box at Singapore. Mediocre but agreed it's not bad positionally speaking.
Maybe there was traffic as well.Tarffic cant definitely hide the true picture. One thing is for sure they were under 1.2-1.3s in Hungary & if they mange to get under 1s from pole they have taken a significant step forward.

There is a decent chance for good points because occasional rain may make strategu a gamble & Mercedes might benefit from it.Ross says they were fully in race mode preparation so the 4 seconds is not an issue.

ALSO TYRE Wear is a huge issue,drivers are reporting massive tyre wears which should not be too good for Mercedes.

Mr Alcatraz

godlameroso wrote:pole in the high 1:44's
A pretty fair guess imo! It will all depend on how well rubbered in the track will be. Red Bull's massive advantage will be minimized here as the lack of run-off and prominence of walls will bring the top teams a little closer together. The drivers with the most confidence will still only be able to push to a limit allowed by their grip at terminal speed. Great choice of tires for this event. I think you will find that Ferrari are not far off pace on the primes, today the track was too dirty for Felipe or Fred to risk looking for a max grip level on such a green track.
Prediction: Boss, Vettel, Fred, Button, Massa, Chopper minus the one/'s that hit the wall. Chopper Massa and Boss most likely suspects imo. Championship to be officially decided at Japan.
This should be an epic race. Kick Ass

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2011/ ... ed+Flag%29
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 24 Sep 2011, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I thought Mercedes solved most of their poor tire wear issues with the EBD implementation at the rear? I figure they will be at the bottom of Q3 like they have been the last few races. The race pace may be good enough to get up into 6th place. With some luck maybe 5th. If rain comes, we could see a whole different picture. I don't expect rain. Doesn't it usually rain during the day and dry by night?
Honda!