Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
techF1LES

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

AMuS confirmed Coanda exhausts in Korea. Lotus will be the last of the top teams introducing their version of Coanda exhausts.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

That's it?Coanda exhaust which will probably need two races to start working?I expected heavy AERODYNAMICAL upgrade, not the stupid exhaust again.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Steven
Owner

It was actually Allison who confirmed Coanda exhausts in the team's preview to the Korean GP
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/17859

erikejw
erikejw

MarkedOne8 wrote:That's it?Coanda exhaust which will probably need two races to start working?I expected heavy AERODYNAMICAL upgrade, not the stupid exhaust again.
Coanda is essential and important if it works.
They also need to develop and understand it until 2013.
It might not do them much good this season though, every team had huge problems to
get it to work correctly. Though they have had time to study it on their opponents cars.

I hope they use Romains car to try out some stuff too. They really need performance if they
want a 3rd in the WCC so they have to bother Romain too on the fridays.

If they went coanda and DDRS early in the season instead of the fully fledged device the situation
might be different in the WCC. On the other hand if the Device would have worked early on it
would have looked great, but the facts are it didn't.

I hope they can give Kimi a car he can challenge with in the last races.
I also hope they listen to him when it comes to the 2013 car. They know
they have the driver. Now they need to bring him the car he wants.

Mika1
Mika1

A bit late to introduce the coanda exhaust, if you ask me.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Better late in 2012 than in 2013 though.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

I thought that Coanda effect will be banned next year.So, we will still have exhaust blowing?
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

stefan_
stefan_

Finally. The exhaust regulations remain the same for 2013 as far as I know, and this is a good development to the E20. Maybe this is the piece missing from the puzzle that could make them take at least 1 win (that I think they deserve) this year.
Sad to see the much awaited Device postponed though, but I think that there are a lot more gains from the exhaust.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

PhillipM
PhillipM

MarkedOne8 wrote:I thought that Coanda effect will be banned next year.So, we will still have exhaust blowing?
Will it? Who's rewriting the laws of physics for next year then?
I'd like to meet him, sounds like a good lawyer!

erikejw
erikejw

MarkedOne8 wrote:I thought that Coanda effect will be banned next year.So, we will still have exhaust blowing?
It is very hard to ban a physical law ;) and although it would not be a surprise if
Montezemolo(the aero hater, what does he smoke?) lobbyed for it I do think it will be in place for the next season too ;)

But I do understand what you mean.
I think the exhaust regulations will be the same for next year but I wont be surprised
if there is a last minute change when all the teams have already designed, started to build their cars.
FIA likes to have a spanner in the air that they can redirect (un)properly with some hilarious motivation and
strong support of all the teams lacking in that department.

Nando
Nando

Well it is in some ways possible to ban the use of coanda effect. I´m sure that is what he means ;)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

PhillipM wrote:
Will it? Who's rewriting the laws of physics for next year then?
I'd like to meet him, sounds like a good lawyer!
Until now FIA has bravely banned flexing - art. 3.15 only to cowardly retreat in art. 3.17. :)
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

dave34m
dave34m

MarkedOne8 wrote:That's it?Coanda exhaust which will probably need two races to start working?I expected heavy AERODYNAMICAL upgrade, not the stupid exhaust again.
They should just do what Ferrari do, chuck the new parts on and then have a media day to test them.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Nando wrote:Well it is in some ways possible to ban the use of coanda effect. I´m sure that is what he means ;)
Stick the tailpipes out the back. just like your mums minivan. I like flames

Donuts

I don't think that this is such a bad idea. For everyone who´s read the article it's pretty clear that they have put a lot of work into this "Coanda style" exhaust which reminds me of when they put a lot of work into the "McLaren style" blown rear wing in 2010, it worked from the "go" (don't take this as a comparison between the systems, It's just and example of what the results are when they take this kind of approach). They are patient with bringing larger upgrades, they want them to work first. I read that almost 80% of what they bring to the racetrack works as predicted in their windtunnel. I guess the "front exhaust exit" is not included (don't want to start that topic again)? :wink:

About "the device", it seem really tricky do dial in (taking to much of their setup time in practice), if it works they'll have an advantage for next season and possibly the last two races.

One thing I do not understand is why they went from the most radical exhaust layout to the most conventional. But it seems to have worked pretty good...
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.