Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty record

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mnmracer
mnmracer

Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty record

Although there was not much of a threat to Sebastian Vettel's victory at the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix, statistically speaking it was quite an interesting race to follow, with Vettel hunting for a record and Hamilton actually achieving one.

After starting from pole and leading the race for every lap, Sebastian Vettel was just a fastest lap short of a Grand Slam: pole, fastest lap and led entire race. Just after his last pit stop, he was putting in some lightning fast laps and was on his way to this rare achievement until Jenson Button lapped in 1:48.454 with just 7 laps to go. Although Vettel kept improving on his first sector-times, the backmarkers and yellow flags in the final laps meant the Grand Slam was just out of reach.

Not only would this have been a rare achievement, only 45 Grand Slams have been scored in the 61 year history of Formula One, but Vettel could have also become the youngest driver to score one. This record is currently still held by Ayrton Senna, who was just 25 years and 10 days old when he led the entire race from pole and set the fastest lap in the 1985 Portuguese Grand Prix. If Vettel wants to break this record, he needs to score one no later than the 2012 British Grand Prix on 8 july; 14 races from now.

A record that no driver would want to break, was broken today by Lewis Hamilton. Already holding the record after getting 5 penalties in the 2008 season, the drive through penalty that was handed to the Brit after hitting Massa was his sixth of the season; no other driver was given as many penalties in a single season before. Regardless if all the incidents deserved to be penalized or not, Hamilton's 2011 season will go into the record books for at least one reason.
  1. Hamilton's first penalty of the season was a 20-second post race penalty at the Malaysian Grand Prix, for weaving when he was being overtaken by Alonso.
  2. At the Monaco Grand Prix, his only qualifying time in Q3 was deleted for cutting the chicane, demoting him from 7th to 9th on the grid.
  3. At the Monaco Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding with Felipe Massa.
  4. At the Monaco Grand Prix, he was given a 20-second post race penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding with Pastor Maldonado.
  5. At the Hungarian Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'forcing another driver off the track' after spinning his car in front of Paul di Resta.
  6. At the Singapore Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding' with Felipe Massa.

Trivia
  • Just like last year, the numbers one and two of the race remained in that position for the entire race. Last year however, Alonso and Vettel actually started first and second, while Button moved into second position right after the start.
  • Although Vettel has lead 2/3 of all the laps this year, and many before that, this is actually the first race that Vettel has been leading for every lap of the race, including pit stops.
Last edited by mnmracer on 27 Sep 2011, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.

godlameroso

Re: Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty re

It really seems like they're out to get him.
Saishū kōnā

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

godlameroso wrote:It really seems like they're out to get him.
the flame burning brightest also burns out fastest...but also attracts the most moths.

It might be just a vicious cycle of Hamilton (former WDC) being bold on and off the track, stewards pay more attention to him and catch more mistakes, Hamilton responds with bold comments on and off the track, stewards keep their eye on him. Unfortunate, really, since I've screamed at my TV more about backmarkers stalling lead-lap cars than Hamilton gunning it just a little too much.

andartop
andartop

It does seem, at times, that Hamilton is getting penalties for doing things other drivers may get away with.

However, he has got away with it as well a few times with just a reprimand, when doing things others have received penalties for.

In all honesty, I can't seem to recall one single incident in F1 since 1999 (when I started watching every single race) when a driver was reprimanded...before Lewis Hamilton started racing in F1.

I can assume that race stewards may be a bit more strict with him precisely because of his poor record and non-compliance (reprimanded for weaving in Malaysia with Petrov, penalised the following time around for the same reason).

OR, one could argue that they had to invent (or re-invent) the "reprimand" to avoid penalizing him on every single race.

At the end of the day, I think aggressive driving is a necessary element to become a World Champion, and I certainly enjoy watching Hamilton's racing, but if you overdo it then other drivers will be more aggressive with you as well, which increases the chances of getting caught up in incidents...and collecting penalties!

As for Vettel, I think the record he should be after as soon as he gets his 2nd WDC is winning from last on the grid: he should skip qualifying and start every remaining race from the pitlane to see how high he can climb. That's what I used to do when playing F1 games on PC and PS2 to keep things interesting after finishing the game in all difficulty modes!!!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

CHT
CHT

andartop wrote: At the end of the day, I think aggressive driving is a necessary element to become a World Champion, and I certainly enjoy watching Hamilton's racing, but if you overdo it then other drivers will be more aggressive with you as well, which increases the chances of getting caught up in incidents...and collecting penalties!

As for Vettel, I think the record he should be after as soon as he gets his 2nd WDC is winning from last on the grid: he should skip qualifying and start every remaining race from the pitlane to see how high he can climb. That's what I used to do when playing F1 games on PC and PS2 to keep things interesting after finishing the game in all difficulty modes!!!
I would love to see 24 lewis hamilton racing against one another.

How many PC race do you get to play in a year?

ringo

What kind of hater thread is this? :lol:

Why not just do a Vettel thread. No reason the make Vettel ride off Hamilton's coat tails.
He's his own man, he doesn't need to be compared to Hamilton to some how make him a legitimate top driver; or maybe he does?

A truly top notch driver doesn't need other drivers to be sullied for them to look good.
This thread is just twisted and screams of desperation to incite some kind of comparison between the 2.

Make a Vettel thread with Vettel by himself and his accomplishments. Hamilton has the star power to make any thread time times bigger and more entertaining, but come on guys. As boring as vettel is as a driver, this isn't doing him any favours.

Hamilton's penalties is just a micocosm of what happens in the world. Or that's what Ali G says. 8) It's not suprise to me he has the most penalties. That is expected and was predicted.
If you are Hamilton you are born in trouble.. Simple. Rodney King of F1 :lol:
Ask Felipe baby, who says he should be penalized every time he steps in the car.

This issue of disproportionate penalties really has nothing to do with Vettel's success. Both are totally different topics. Just as useful as comparing Vettels records to Sato's engine blow out record. Makes no sense really.
For Sure!!

mnmracer
mnmracer

ringo wrote:What kind of hater thread is this? :lol:

Why not just do a Vettel thread. No reason the make Vettel ride off Hamilton's coat tails.
He's his own man, he doesn't need to be compared to Hamilton to some how make him a legitimate top driver; or maybe he does?

A truly top notch driver doesn't need other drivers to be sullied for them to look good.
This thread is just twisted and screams of desperation to incite some kind of comparison between the 2.

Make a Vettel thread with Vettel by himself and his accomplishments. Hamilton has the star power to make any thread time times bigger and more entertaining, but come on guys. As boring as vettel is as a driver, this isn't doing him any favours.

Hamilton's penalties is just a micocosm of what happens in the world. Or that's what Ali G says. 8) It's not suprise to me he has the most penalties. That is expected and was predicted.
If you are Hamilton you are born in trouble.. Simple. Rodney King of F1 :lol:
Ask Felipe baby, who says he should be penalized every time he steps in the car.

This issue of disproportionate penalties really has nothing to do with Vettel's success. Both are totally different topics. Just as useful as comparing Vettels records to Sato's engine blow out record. Makes no sense really.
Where am I comparing?
I'm a stat-guy that notices two interesting stats that happened at the Singapore Grand Prix, hence my intro:
mnmracer wrote:Although there was not much of a threat to Sebastian Vettel's victory at the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix, statistically speaking it was quite an interesting race to follow, with Vettel hunting for a record and Hamilton actually achieving one.
That is their common denominator: the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix. Just didn't fit in the title.
No need to look for conspiracies where there are none :wink:

Traction

I think this thread is quite interesting as it serves to illustrate one youngsters rise and another's demise. While Vettel is just going from strength to strength and his confidence is at a major high LH's must be at a low. In saying that it could just so easily reverse itself. That's sport though and you have to ride the wave of success that you find yourself on for as long as it lasts...
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Donuts

Traction wrote:I think this thread is quite interesting as it serves to illustrate one youngsters rise and another's demise. While Vettel is just going from strength to strength and his confidence is at a major high LH's must be at a low. In saying that it could just so easily reverse itself. That's sport though and you have to ride the wave of success that you find yourself on for as long as it lasts...
+1
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

timbo
timbo

I can't remember 5 penalties in 2008.
Bahrain, Canada, France, Belgium, what else?

raymondu999

I think a fun facts/stats thread like this would be great interesting reads. We should have one after every race. For example like how Singapore 2010/2011 both had 2nd and 1st place men stay in that position throughout the race.

Amazingly, this is also the first year that Hamilton has not featured on the podium of any street circuit
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

nipo
nipo

Remember his debut season when he almost clinched the title? Lewis has always been slightly more "unstable" compared to others, if I may put it that way. Especially when he's trying to fight.

I think he impressed the world by scoring, what, 9 consecutive podiums at the start of his F1 career, was it? I don't think we've ever seen a "reliable" Hamilton ever since.

The year he won WDC he won it by a point, and his main rival Massa, as did himself, had quite a number of incidents (both machine failure and human errors).

This year he seems to be more erratic, or taking more chances, but I don't really see it that way. It's just maybe he did the same, but his luck got worse and that's what you get. So to say it is Hamilton's demise is maybe a tad too far-fetched. That's just his way of driving on the limit and taking every chance.

Hopefully we don't get another Jacques Villeneuve.

On that end Button seemed confident and to have kept Webber at bay both in the race and over the season, it's a great achievement only second to Vettel's winning ways. I never imagined Button had what it took to outshine his teammate, but up to now I think that's exactly what he's done this season - he's been cool, quick, and steady.

andy fussell
andy fussell

It appears Hamilton was told to be a good boy (Monza) but it didn't last long (Singapore)

raymondu999

Actually Whitmarsh asked for "Bad Boy" Hamilton back
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

andy fussell
andy fussell

Sorry my mistake, or it might of been hamiltons :lol: