Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty record

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty re

Agreed. I think Hamilton sees it that the two of them are the last two "wunderkinds" of the sport; the two young "hot stars" that were labelled as the stars of the next generation; or current generation. I think one of the reasons he was so happy in Germany was that he had pulled the tally to Vettel to 1 race win more? Or it could be Hamilton matched him (after being overtaken early in the year).
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Actually, he thinks Rosberg is the wunderkind. He rarely mentions Vettel; Just the usual formal congratulations but he "fears" Rosberg.

A match between Vettel and Rosberg is what I am dying to see.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

I've never heard him single out Rosberg alone. I do however remember him saying:
Lewis Hamilton wrote:We all believe we are the best and that is what you have to do, unless you like to finish second. The best are Alonso, Vettel and Rosberg; who I have known since I was 13. Rosberg is about to burst through and he will at any time. Sebastian is in a great period with Red Bull and has a lot of confidence.

Fernando is very talented and is fully supported by his team. The whole team supports and follows him. It is he who leads Ferrari. I am not saying it is good or bad; it is just the route they have chosen.
Hamilton saying fearing someone; however, reminds me a lot of how Schumi revered Hakkinen.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

I don't see any fear in that, only a realistic appraisal.

How can anyone see fear when he starts with "We all believe we are the best and that is what you have to do, unless you like to finish second."

These guys are rational and cold hearted. Their job is to make the best of their car, team and talent. There can't be any space for emotion or they'll slip down the grid.

Its only folk on forums who conjure up "Vettel fears Hamilton". That's silly, Vettel is racing against whoever happens to be behind or in front of him, machine against machine.

Traction

richard_leeds wrote:I don't see any fear in that, only a realistic appraisal.

How can anyone see fear when he starts with "We all believe we are the best and that is what you have to do, unless you like to finish second."

These guys are rational and cold hearted. Their job is to make the best of their car, team and talent. There can't be any space for emotion or they'll slip down the grid.

Its only folk on forums who conjure up "Vettel fears Hamilton". That's silly, Vettel is racing against whoever happens to be behind or in front of him, machine against machine.
+1... =D>
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

timbo
timbo

While we are here, I watched Vettel's onboard from the Singapore and a thought striked me -- when he begins a lap, the front of the car is stubborn, and it really starts to "grip in" only at the second sector. It really comes alive at third.
Same thing happened in Hungary.
I wonder, whether it's intrinsic relationship between the car and the tyres, and Vettel simply cannot get enough hit on the out-lap, or whether Vettel plays really smart and maxxes the performances by preparing the tyres for the all-important fiddly parts of the track?

beelsebob
beelsebob

timbo wrote:While we are here, I watched Vettel's onboard from the Singapore and a thought striked me -- when he begins a lap, the front of the car is stubborn, and it really starts to "grip in" only at the second sector. It really comes alive at third.
I wonder, whether it's intrinsic relationship between the car and the tyres, and Vettel simply cannot get enough hit on the out-lap, or whether Vettel plays really smart and maxxes the performances by preparing the tyres for the all-important fiddly parts of the track?
I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is just the normal progression of a tyre through a qualifying lap. They will inevitably lose pace through the lap. If you get them fully hot on the warm up lap, they'll have gone off by the end of the quick lap, instead, the drivers get them nearly there, have an understeery start to the lap as they get fully up to temp, and the tyres are just going off at the end. The understeery start is better than a no-traction end at most places.

PlatinumZealot

richard_leeds wrote:I don't see any fear in that, only a realistic appraisal.

Evidence is that Vettel slipped off a simple turn in Hungary while being pursued by Hamilton. He also slipped off the track when chased by Button in Canada. Only fear can make things like that happen. I'm not talking about making a mistake like driving on a curb, I mean just flat out sliding off the track.

Hamilton for example has slid off the track TWICE in 2010 after being chased by Alonso. Did he fear Alonso at the time. I think YES he feared Alonso at that time.

ps. Is fear the right word to use?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

I think that's actually a trait of Singapore. Jenson mentioned it as well. With the lap being so long, with so many longitudinal demands on the tyres; if you push from Sector 1; then they're cooked by Sector 3. Or you can hit it softly in Sector 1; and then have it on song for the other sectors.

smikle - I don't think "fear" is quite the right word as it conjures up a morbid feel. Perhaps wariness is a much better word.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:
timbo wrote:While we are here, I watched Vettel's onboard from the Singapore and a thought striked me -- when he begins a lap, the front of the car is stubborn, and it really starts to "grip in" only at the second sector. It really comes alive at third.
I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is just the normal progression of a tyre through a qualifying lap. They will inevitably lose pace through the lap. If you get them fully hot on the warm up lap, they'll have gone off by the end of the quick lap, instead, the drivers get them nearly there, have an understeery start to the lap as they get fully up to temp, and the tyres are just going off at the end. The understeery start is better than a no-traction end at most places.
I agree somewhat but it could be the way the drivers prime the tyres. A shining example is on the Bridgestone tyres in China Last year(I know, not pirelli but you can imagine the pirellis being even more sensitive!). Hamilton experimented with pushing hard out in the first sector and Button experimented with conserving until the second sector. The results were interesting. Hamilton's sector one and sector two times were amazing but his sector three time was horrid. Button OTOH had a not so bad sector 1 but amazing sector 2 and impressive sector 3. The balance of the second method proved better as Button out-qualified Hamilton by a tenth overall and tyres in better condition at the end of Q3.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

smikle - about China last year; yes. I remember distinctly Hamashima from Bridgestone said that the great thing about Vettel's pole lap is that he was managing the tyres a lot through Turn 1 as that was the hot point. After that however you could have let loose
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake
Mandrake

n smikle wrote:Evidence is that Vettel slipped off a simple turn in Hungary while being pursued by Hamilton. He also slipped off the track when chased by Button in Canada. Only fear can make things like that happen. I'm not talking about making a mistake like driving on a curb, I mean just flat out sliding off the track.

Hamilton for example has slid off the track TWICE in 2010 after being chased by Alonso. Did he fear Alonso at the time. I think YES he feared Alonso at that time.

ps. Is fear the right word to use?
Fear is not the right word here. To the drivers it doesn't matter who is behind them. Vettel slipped off in Canada because he pushed like a mad man to secure P1 from much, much faster Button. That tiny error had large effect on the wet track. Fear? No, just awareness that he has to give it all in order to not lose it on the DRS straight.

Hungary, first driver in that turn in changing conditions....He couldn't take it easy because the field was packed...slightly more slippery road than in the lap before and off you go, being the lead driver you are the first to experience it. Fear from Hamilton? I highly doubt it. Had it been Ruben Barrichello in that McLaren Vettel would also have slipped off.

raymondu999

Important to note is the previous two laps Seb had fended off Lewis; once on the inside and once on the outside
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

I agree “fear” is not the right word, I’d say “respect”.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Maybe Vettel "feared" that Hamilton would pull a Hamilton and drive into him. Then fear would indeed be the right word ;)