Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

ok! thank u for clearing that out!...so they will release hot air into the diffuser to speed up flow...but how are they going to give the air enough speed??

Raptor22
Raptor22

what are the rules for body work on top of the tub ahead of the driver?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Raptor22 wrote:what are the rules for body work on top of the tub ahead of the driver?
These in conjunction with various other requirements of the tub dimensions etc essentially means that you can't really have bodywork on top of the tub ahead of the driver.

3.7.9 No bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template
may be more than 550mm above the reference plane.
3.8 Bodywork in front of the rear wheels :
3.8.1 Other than the rear view mirrors (including their mountings), each with a maximum area of
12000mm² and 14000 mm2 when viewed from directly above or directly from the side
respectively, no bodywork situated more than 330mm behind the front wheel centre line and
more than 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line, which is more than 600mm above
the reference plane, may be more than 300mm from the car centre line.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Tozza Mazza wrote:max 550mm height at:
Front bulkhead (Normally 1800mm in front of back of cockpit entry template)
Which rule states this? I only see 3.7.9 mentioning 550m above the ref plane, and that's the 1950mm in front of the rear of the cockpit entry template rule.
You can't pick and choose I'm afraid. This one infringes the first bullet point.
Agreed, but I don't see any rule that enforces the first bullet point.

Raptor22
Raptor22

so its possible to have the crash structure meet the minimum height but still have a sort of V chassis with body work forming a wing between to the two raised points. The bottom of the V on top of the chassis could meet the minimum height of the nose?

Giando

bonjon1979 wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:what are the rules for body work on top of the tub ahead of the driver?
These in conjunction with various other requirements of the tub dimensions etc essentially means that you can't really have bodywork on top of the tub ahead of the driver.

3.7.9 No bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template
may be more than 550mm above the reference plane.
3.8 Bodywork in front of the rear wheels :
3.8.1 Other than the rear view mirrors (including their mountings), each with a maximum area of
12000mm² and 14000 mm2 when viewed from directly above or directly from the side
respectively, no bodywork situated more than 330mm behind the front wheel centre line and
more than 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line, which is more than 600mm above
the reference plane, may be more than 300mm from the car centre line.
Good points...

But can't you extend the lower part of the front bulkhead to respect the cross section of the chassis in that area?

(or am i missing the right point here? sorry again, my understanding of english is not 100% accurate so i have some trouble with the 3.8.1 rule)

MIKEY_!

This is easily fixed, move the nose top 'splitter' back a bit, then it won't interfere with the bulkhead.

ringo

This may fail the minimum width rule at section A-A.
I'm going off memory i haven't reviewed the rules in a while, but yeah there is a minimum width and this may be in contravention of that rule at that section and rear of it.

Mclaren's 2011 nose is probably what we'll see mostly with these 2012 cars i think.
For Sure!!

scuderiafan

What's the advantage of going this far to bend the rules? Ferrari won't be able to get as much air under the nose as previous years, the rules just wont allow it. I guess that splitter might split the air around the driver/cockpit towards the rear wing though?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

MIKEY_!

That's the whole idea. I agree with ringo, the mclaren nose or similar is probably most likely.

PlatinumZealot

scuderiafan wrote:What's the advantage of going this far to bend the rules? Ferrari won't be able to get as much air under the nose as previous years, the rules just wont allow it. I guess that splitter might split the air around the driver/cockpit towards the rear wing though?
When you max out the front nose regulations you get a step shape on the top of the nose in the side view.

His design allows you to have the "step" in the nose cone (from side view) without having the drag and interruption associated with it. This is because he has made the step aerodynamic from the plan view.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kalinka
kalinka

scuderiafan wrote:What's the advantage of going this far to bend the rules? Ferrari won't be able to get as much air under the nose as previous years, the rules just wont allow it. I guess that splitter might split the air around the driver/cockpit towards the rear wing though?

There would be a benefit in case of using U-sidepods. If the airflow remains attached around the cockpit, it provides more air into the U-pod as the conventional shaped nose. ( Or I'm missing some other effect that prevents this ? )

Coefficient
Coefficient

amouzouris wrote:LOL...but seriously...does anyone know what it is??
I think its an Italian trying to say Diffuser.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Maggot

amouzouris wrote:LOL...but seriously...does anyone know what it is??

Fund = FLoor
Speaker = Diffuser

Google translates ... "directly" lol

Giando

MIKEY_! wrote:Image
This is easily fixed, move the nose top 'splitter' back a bit, then it won't interfere with the bulkhead.
Getting back to a less-radical design, then... would this be 100% 'legal'?