Toyota return to Sportscars (incl. Le Mans 2012)

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
scuderiafan

Re: Toyota LMP1

Me too. With Audi and Peugeot, plus Porsche's upcoming project and Toyota, sportscar racing is going to get better and better!
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Pandamasque

PaulB wrote:It looks like, that Toyotas LMP1 car will be shown somwhere in January.
I've heard the first rollout is scheduled for the coming week.

scuderiafan

Pandamasque wrote:
PaulB wrote:It looks like, that Toyotas LMP1 car will be shown somwhere in January.
I've heard the first rollout is scheduled for the coming week.
They're doing it at Paul Ricard. I expect to see some spy shots sooner rather than later.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Kaivo
Kaivo

Re: Toyota return to Sportscars (incl. Le Mans 2012)

pics

PaulB

http://www.autohebdo.fr/endurance/le-ma ... -en-photos

The really first picture, but you can't cognize very much...only the colour scheme.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Its a nice looking car. Think it will be where the Aston-Lola has been at in terms of 2009/2010 performance to the diesels.

Mod, can we merge this thread int this one: viewtopic.php?p=298132&f=5#p298132
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 18 Jan 2012, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merger completed

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

ESPImperium wrote:Its a nice looking car. Think it will be where the Aston-Lola has been at in terms of 2009/2010 performance to the diesels.

Mod, can we merge this thread int this one: viewtopic.php?p=298132&f=5#p298132
I think it'll be faster....proper manufacturer funding, and working hybrid system...

Sad news is that Peugeot is out...

scuderiafan

Back in 2011, Toyota let Rebellion racing run their engines, but it was an exclusive agreement for Rebellion. That meant that only Rebellion would be able to run those engines. They also commissioned Lola for a change in the bodywork of their car (picture below). I just realized that Toyota must have used Rebellion for development work for their 2012 car.

Patiently waiting...

Pierce89

ESPImperium wrote:Its a nice looking car. Think it will be where the Aston-Lola has been at in terms of 2009/2010 performance to the diesels.
Surely it will be much more competitive, Toyota wouldn't be here without assurances from the ACO that their diesel/petrol-hybrid equivalancy would give Toyota an even playing field.

I also doubt this powerplant has much in common with the Rebellion Racing engine. That was based off of the Formula Nippon/Super GT unit.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

scuderiafan

Pierce89 wrote:
Surely it will be much more competitive, Toyota wouldn't be here without assurances from the ACO that their diesel/petrol-hybrid equivalancy would give Toyota an even playing field.

I also doubt this powerplant has much in common with the Rebellion Racing engine. That was based off of the Formula Nippon/Super GT unit.
"The Toyota is a closed top coupe and utilizes a 3.4 liter, normally aspirated, V8 for motive power."

Patiently waiting...

Carbon
Carbon

"The Toyota is a closed top coupe and utilizes a 3.4 liter, normally aspirated, V8 for motive power."
Hybrid Power:
"We also understand that Toyota's hybrid system currently drives both front or rear wheels and that testing will determine which setup (front or rear--both aren't allowed) the program will go with."

Source:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjan12.html

scuderiafan

Carbon wrote:
Hybrid Power:
"We also understand that Toyota's hybrid system currently drives both front or rear wheels and that testing will determine which setup (front or rear--both aren't allowed) the program will go with."

Source:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjan12.html
Right. I believe Toyota are still running with the RV8KLM they introduced last year, but it has an added hybrid system.

Patiently waiting...

Shrek
Shrek

Found out that Toyota will use a heat (exhaust) energy reocovery system
original website:http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=6&no=38678
english:http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... no%3D38678
got this from mike fuller on facebook by the way
Spencer

Kaivo
Kaivo

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/l ... brid_3.jpg

SuperCap based hybrid system, and the 3.4 liter V8 is said to be brand new and not based on the SuperGT/Formula Nippon unit.

They are also now entering 2 cars at the 24 Hours..and have confirmed that they are testing both front and rear axle based hybrid.