2014 front wing endplate design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
turbof1

Re: 2014 front wing endplate design

Don't forget, the back of the car is going to loose alot of downforce too. Depending on what solution is better to reduce the wheel drag, the teams might be ok with the additional downforce loss at the front, because else they end up with having the aero balance messed up.
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

The outward air also generates vortices that seal the floor sides which is required in 2014 as well. Since the floor concept will not change they will absolutely need those vortices. There is no real alternative to creating an outwash. It follows in my view that the angle of the end plates will become much more aggressive and the end plates may be positioned further forward to achieve the effect.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bhall
bhall

WhiteBlue wrote:[...] and the end plates may be positioned further forward to achieve the effect.
How?

WhiteBlue

bhallg2k wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:[...] and the end plates may be positioned further forward to achieve the effect.
How?
I dont know if they use the full envelope for positioning end plates as forward as possible. But if they don't the end plates would obviously start further forward to help the direction change for the air.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bhall
bhall

The "envelope" for bodywork ahead of the front wheels is ultimately defined by the front wheel centerline, and teams already position front wings accordingly. Additionally, the 1,650mm wings next year (3.4.1) will find endplates directly in front of the wheels, so it's unlikely they'll follow the 2009-2012 philosophy of an "outwash" design anyway.

TryHard
TryHard

Blanchimont wrote:The regulations have changed since the post on article 3.7.5 was made.
The current article doesn't mention the "any intersection [...] must form one continuous line" part, so the discussion about it is not relevant! :wink:
We'll see the same general front wing design ideas as now, the only difference is the total width is reduced to 1650mm.
So it has changed (looking at the copy on my computer)... totally agree with the last statement as well, same as now, just a bit narrower. I wonder if teams will try and flatten off the endplates somewhat to regain wing plan area, or stick with similar designs as now, attempting to get as much air around the wheels as possible?

Something else to consider is that, normally, most downforce is wanted when the front wheels are turning... i.e. car is in a corner. This will have an affect on how the teams design the endplates, and also why I doubt that the outwash design will disappear, the end plates are still outside of the middle of the tread width.

WhiteBlue

bhallg2k wrote:The "envelope" for bodywork ahead of the front wheels is ultimately defined by the front wheel centerline, and teams already position front wings accordingly.
That is not correct IMO. You can bring the front wing with the end plates more or less forward relatively to the wheel centre line, unless there are other "boxes" that stop you or you compromise the balance. I can confirm neither reason because I'm not familiar with all the boxes. It is just much too much bother to learn them all by hart unless you are an armchair aerodynamicist.
bhallg2k wrote:... the 1,650mm wings next year (3.4.1) will find endplates directly in front of the wheels, so it's unlikely they'll follow the 2009-2012 philosophy of an "outwash" design anyway.
There is no logic in this statement. Having vortices along the floor to seal it will be desirable in 2014 as it was in 2009-2012. Consequently I expect the designers to direct some air outward of the wheels and not entirely inwards as you seem to believe.

bhall
bhall

Why on Earth would you disagree with something when you admittedly don't know what you're talking about? And how in the world are teams going to send a vortex from the endplate through a wheel to do anything?

I suggest you read this and think about that.

turbof1

Just for the record, I only threw in that argument for the sake of relevant discussion. I wouldn't have a clue which method is better for next year.
#AeroFrodo

bhall
bhall

It is a valid area of discussion. Please don't let my brusk demeanor there turn you off from it; that's just an instinctive response to a particular form of "because I said so."

Here's a rough look at next year's front wing width:

I don't see a gain to be had with an outwash design. Even if it could clear the wheel wake, which doesn't appear possible, I think it would sacrifice too much wing area (downforce) in the process. Something like the following is probably more likely.

Last edited by bhall on 30 Mar 2013, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

bhallg2k wrote:Why on Earth would you disagree with something when you admittedly don't know what you're talking about? And how in the world are teams going to send a vortex from the endplate through a wheel to do anything?
This post is patronise and painting other users as stupid. Only that it does not work. Nobody would attempt to send a vortex through a wheel obviously. Because there are still possible options to send it around the wheel if you design the deflection accordingly. I don't bother to learn all the aero box rules by heart but I know well enough what you generally can and cannot do with aerodynamics.

turbof1

A point of interest though: teams opt nowadays more for endplateless designs. Last year at Abu Dhabi Vettel was perfectly capable of driving around with the endplate removed in a collision. It didn't mattered so much, probably because the flaps and wing elements took care of that. Teams might just minimize endplate surface and work around the problem like they do now.
#AeroFrodo

bhall
bhall

WhiteBlue wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:Why on Earth would you disagree with something when you admittedly don't know what you're talking about? And how in the world are teams going to send a vortex from the endplate through a wheel to do anything?
This post is patronise and painting other users as stupid. Only that it does not work. Nobody would attempt to send a vortex through a wheel obviously. Because there are still possible options to send it around the wheel if you design the deflection accordingly. I don't bother to learn all the aero box rules by heart but I know well enough what you generally can and cannot do with aerodynamics.
Prove it.

bhall
bhall

turbof1 wrote:A point of interest though: teams opt nowadays more for endplateless designs. Last year at Abu Dhabi Vettel was perfectly capable of driving around with the endplate removed in a collision. It didn't mattered so much, probably because the flaps and wing elements took care of that. Teams might just minimize endplate surface and work around the problem like they do now.
Though it may seem counterintuitive, I'm not so sure its fair to judge the merit of a component based upon value deduced from its absence, because pace is ultimately determined by a plethora of variables related to both the car and its environment, e.g. fuel load, tire wear/degradation, track conditions, etc.

Also, I think teams currently get away with "unusual" endplates - probably not the right way to put it, but I'm running with it anyway - because they use vortices and other aerodynamic voodoo to perform the endplates' job without a big sacrifice to total wing area. By most measures, Red Bull is at the top of the pile in this regard. Every time their wing flexes on a straight, it opens the endplates like a clamshell, which effectively makes the wing wider to better deflect airflow around the wheels. I don't think this will be possible under next year's rules.

Ferrari was vexed with problems on the 150° Italia's front wing, because the slight - and I do mean slight - adjustment to the tires between 2010 and 2011 completely altered the wing's interaction with the wheels. The revised tire was given a more squared off shoulder, which made them larger by ~0.5%, and airflow from the endplates couldn't clear it. Next year's narrow wings will recreate this problem, only it will be as if the front tires have grown by ~70-75%.

EDIT: Damn you, typos!
Last edited by bhall on 30 Mar 2013, 12:52, edited 3 times in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think they'll go for an "in-wash" design with horizontally extended endplate footplates on which will be placed a number of aero devices. The endplates will probably have winglets on their outer faces too. Bear in mind that the car needs the front wing to work at its best in corners and you want the wing on the inside of the corner to work hardest in order to keep the inner tyre loaded. With the tyre turned that way too, the space behind the wing increases so the wing will be designed to make use of that increased volume. The teams already give up ultimate wing width in favour of an extended footplate on the endplates. It makes the wing more effective overall and helps air flow to the rear of the car. This idea will be developed and it's likely that whoever gets the best front wing solution will have a head start in the championship - think Brawn and their outwash endplates which were much more important than the double diffuser at the start of the season.

I'm thinking that the wing will be something like this but in a more evolved and extreme form:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.