CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
meves
meves

Re: CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

The Caterham exhausts seem to be less controlled than the concepts from Sauber, McLaren, and Ferrari (to name a few) which really direct the exhaust flow. Are they just trying to blow the whole beam wing instead of focusing on sealing the diffusor or blowing brake fins or are just being cautious with the cooling and exhaust whilst they run KERS for the first time?

Has anyone heard anything?

Chalke
Chalke

Perhaps as a smaller team they recognise the potential for controversy with exhaust design and don't want to risk the costs until some clarifications have been made. They could well have designed some concepts, but don't want to waste production and development budgets on dead ends.

Gridlock

RB7ate9 wrote:It seems that the Caterham's gills aren't actually slotted through. Is this just a preliminary engine cover? I can't think there are many benefits to just adding some fake gills.
My amateurish and in-head CFD thinking is that it creates a larger area of low pressure air behind the gills, which would draw the exhaust plume into a wider volume and possibly fill the space between the beam wing and wing. But it might just be a cooling thing - I agree that the slats don't appear open though.

MIKEY_!

I recall in 2008(?) honda ran gills like that (as did everyone else) but then blocked them just as caterham are doing at cooler races. The hot air interferes with the flow over the sidepod so blocking the gills is better than them being open apparently.

http://www.f1technical.net/development/196

Blackout

WilliamsF1 wrote:Something from mike's Renault years', the R24

Sacrilege ! it's the R25

raymondu999

Mike moved to Toyota when the R24 came out. Granted he was probably still the designer (as it was probably designed through 2003
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Oneshortplanck
Oneshortplanck

RB7ate9 wrote:It seems that the Caterham's gills aren't actually slotted through. Is this just a preliminary engine cover? I can't think there are many benefits to just adding some fake gills.
is there any gain in 'softening', 'ruffling up' or 'turbulating' (i know its not a real word) the air before the exhaust exit; the gain being so the exhaust gasses can punch through and be directed rearwards with fewer losses?
Do not argue with an idiot. She will drag you down to her level and beat you with experience.

MIKEY_!

Oh that's an interesting one. It would be a good way to use the exhaust more efficiently. I think the exhaust will cut through the turbulent air from the sidepods easier than clean air.

Hail22

Looks like this will be the revised front nose/wing at Barcelona.

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

kris
kris

Trulli's out.. Petrov in.. Wouldn't they have to do seat adjustment and all pre-season activity all over again? Isn't it too late in the day?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

kris wrote:Trulli's out.. Petrov in.. Wouldn't they have to do seat adjustment and all pre-season activity all over again? Isn't it too late in the day?
Not really, people bring in drivers mid season so a few hundred lap pre-season will be just fine.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

kris
kris

Owen.C93 wrote:
kris wrote:Trulli's out.. Petrov in.. Wouldn't they have to do seat adjustment and all pre-season activity all over again? Isn't it too late in the day?
Not really, people bring in drivers mid season so a few hundred lap pre-season will be just fine.
I believed that each driver goes through a series of pre-season rituals like arrangements to suit him seats,steering,car properties (point front, slippery back etc) etc. If they had taken him on earlier they could have included a bit into the car as per his preferences. Now like the mid-season drivers he might get a car he's got to drive, rather than a car customed to his preferences.

Caterhamrules
Caterhamrules

The 2012 Caterham F1 car testing at Jerez

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBfUPKN-m1E[/youtube]

Pierce89

kris wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
I believed that each driver goes through a series of pre-season rituals like arrangements to suit him seats,steering,car properties (point front, slippery back etc) etc. If they had taken him on earlier they could have included a bit into the car as per his preferences. Now like the mid-season drivers he might get a car he's got to drive, rather than a car customed to his preferences.
either way, Tulli is overall faster driver. To me, when Caterham came alomg the fact that they didn't have pay drivers was very impressive and sort of a statement of intent to be a REAL f1 team. Oh well they use a pay driver now like all the other crap teams.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ringo

Caterhamrules wrote:The 2012 Caterham F1 car testing at Jerez
car actually looks composed. Big improvement over the 2011 and 2010 car.
For Sure!!