BBC announce which races will be shown

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andartop
andartop

Re: BBC announce which races will be shown

richard_leeds wrote:I'm curious about those saying "all or nothing". If F1 was not previously on TV and they announced 50% would be on TV next year, you'd be delighted. Or are you saying that you only follow a sport because it is on TV?

Surely the dominant factor in being a fan of any sport is an interest in the sport and any TV coverage is a bonus?
You have a good point there. I do still consider myself a fan of F1, that is why I will still watch races online, still buy FIA-licensed F1 related merchandise in the form of ps3 games and still visit F1-related websites to read about it. What I am NOT willing to do is pay a single bloody penny to Sky or watch half the races at BBC. Why? Because I think it's unfair to be asked to pay in order to watch something they (FIA, Teams, Drivers, Racetracks, Media, Bernie, everyone involved really) are already making millions out of (and would still be making millions out of if I didn't pay to watch), and because the BBC idea of showing half the races is simply freaking stupidly ridiculous.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

forty-two

beelsebob wrote: To be fair, it was 150 when Itv were showing it too... Still need to pay a license to receive tv broadcasts.
Good point, but anyone who decides to fork out for Sky coverage here in the UK will still have to pay the license fee anyway, so for the purposes of this discussion, the license fee is a constant.

I have never minded paying the license fee in the past as the BBC has historically provided very good television IMO. I do however object to an organisation such as the beeb, whose remit is to provide services for license fee payers, being instrumental in providing a mechanism for pay tv to get their grubby mitts on Formula 1, which is what I see this deal as being.

The concorde agreement, as I understand it, requires that at least some F1 coverage goes out "FTA" where possible, and by the beeb showing some F1 live (and no doubt paying quite a bit of our money for the privelege) they have allowed Bernie to argue that he's fulfilled his obligations under Concorde.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

And to add to that, the BBC arranged this deal with Sky 1 year before their contract expired, that allowed them to negotiate the deal in private with Sky and skip the bidding process, locking out any other free to air broadcasters.

forty-two

Diesel wrote:And to add to that, the BBC arranged this deal with Sky 1 year before their contract expired, that allowed them to negotiate the deal in private with Sky and skip the bidding process, locking out any other free to air broadcasters.
Good Point!

I'd have thought for a contract of that value, EU competition law would make that illegal actually?

-Tifosi_dude-
-Tifosi_dude-

ringo wrote:Show me what speed channel and TSN will be showing. I don't care for you european guys, as BBC has been blocking us westerners since i can remember. Not an ounce of sympathy for the commonwealth.
If i can't see them all, i find a way to. 8)

Dude I don't know where you are in Canada but speed for me is blacked out, I'm stuck with TSN (coverage, besides race commentary, is complete garbage!!!) and RDS :?

Richard
Richard

I see the BBC have announce Ben Edwards as their F1 commentator. The description of him on wiki isn't too promising ...
He is known for his enthusiastic, energetic commentary style similar to that of Murray Walker.

forty-two

I bet the BBC wished they hadn't kicked Legard out quite so quick eh?

I've been trying not to think about F1 too much, but it's hard for an addict to give up, cold turkey! Now I am thinking about it, I am furious again.

Better go before I get wound up! GRRRR

waynes
waynes

forty-two wrote:I bet the BBC wished they hadn't kicked Legard out quite so quick eh?
bet they are, he was garbage imo

surprised the BBC havent got James Allen in

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

raymondu999

Wayne, umm... James Allen is the 5Live F1 commentator next year
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

waynes
waynes

raymondu999 wrote:Wayne, umm... James Allen is the 5Live F1 commentator next year
didnt know that mate, cheers for the warning

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

Any Australian users have any news on which commentary we will get on Ten? We have a multi year contract for the world feed, but traditionally we have used the BBC audio...if its home grown i will stab myself in the face.

The saddest thing about this whole mess from my perspective is the BBC really got the combination of DC and Brundel right last season, Crofty and Brundel has the potential to be quite good, but i fear i will never find out.

raymondu999

@Mystic - The Beeb have a number of contracts of supplying the Audio feed; it's not just Australia. As they still have commentary teams going to every race; I suspect that perhaps they will maintain this (if the contracts are still alive) as it is a potential revenue stream. That would mean Ben Edwards + DC as your commentary. But do note this is speculation. I thought in AUstralia F1 was on One HD?

@wayne - cheers
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

raymondu999 wrote:@Mystic - The Beeb have a number of contracts of supplying the Audio feed; it's not just Australia. As they still have commentary teams going to every race; I suspect that perhaps they will maintain this (if the contracts are still alive) as it is a potential revenue stream. That would mean Ben Edwards + DC as your commentary. But do note this is speculation. I thought in AUstralia F1 was on One HD?
You could be right raymondu, it just seems strange there has been no word from them about it even when asked. OneHD is an offshoot of Ten so its kind of the same thing.

red748
red748

I will not pay Sky to watch F1.
I might just have to go down the pub on Racedays!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

red748 wrote:I will not pay Sky to watch F1.
I might just have to go down the pub on Racedays!!
The problem being that the Pub is more likely to be showing {Football | Rugby | Cricket | ...} than F1.