BBC announce which races will be shown

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: BBC announce which races will be shown

beelsebob wrote:
red748 wrote:I will not pay Sky to watch F1.
I might just have to go down the pub on Racedays!!
The problem being that the Pub is more likely to be showing {Football | Rugby | Cricket | ...} than F1.
If it's not that crowded it might be possible to get the channel changed upon request. I know I've done it to watch a football match when I'm out for lunch.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

mx_tifosi wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
red748 wrote:I will not pay Sky to watch F1.
I might just have to go down the pub on Racedays!!
The problem being that the Pub is more likely to be showing {Football | Rugby | Cricket | ...} than F1.
If it's not that crowded it might be possible to get the channel changed upon request. I know I've done it to watch a football match when I'm out for lunch.
I'm hoping I might be able to find a pub that will schedule the F1. Problem you've got asking the pub to switch over to it is some football thug might asked for it to be changed back because he "doesn't want to watch cars go round in circles", he would rather watch men run up and down a piece of grass.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ mx tifosi.

Not here in England. Even if there is one guy watching a league 2 match, they will keep it on football.
My local pub is a no go for f1 as every time Im watching quali during lunch someone will want to watch Macclesfield town vs Kidderminster harriers bore each other to death on some terrible pitch in the north of england(I'm in the south).

Having sunk 10 quid into a lunch I'm then left with 30 mins to watch this "spectacle" while chowing me grub.
Unacceptable.

If sky come in and mandate a change of policy to promote F1 in pubs then great. But I have yet to see that...
Football is a pubs main earner here in the uk(as is most of Europe I guess).
More could have been done.
David Purley

RAF
RAF

So Virgin have announced they will have F1 on their service... I wonder if BT Vision will follow suit.

Mr Alcatraz

richard_leeds wrote:It was probably like choosing football teams at school, each side picks one player at a time. "We'll have spa" "ok then we'll have Montreal" and so on....

ps Ringo - You don't pay for it so that's why you can't watch it. Simples! However, when something you do subscribe to decides to drop 50% of its coverage, then I will have sympathy for you, even if it is not reciprocated.
We will be able to see all F1 races that have a world feed on Speed TV, or one of the networks (that owns SpeedTV) Fox I think. It's just the commercials that are a bummer on SpeedTVOn the upside we don't have to listen to the BBC homers that spend 75% of the time talking about the British drivers in the race.

BTW SpeedTV is not free! It is considered a premium channel and that makes for a more expensive Cable/Satellite bill over here!
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 19 Jan 2012, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

volarchico
volarchico

So not only are we paying a premium to watch SpeedTV, but we have about half of the race covered over by commercials.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

... and commentary to suit a first time viewer of F1.

raymondu999

lol. Why, if I may ask?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

They explain the function of the DRS with uttermost simplicity many times at every single GP. And then the same goes for the compounds and which is prime and option. Etc. I learn very little from them which is annoying since I would most certainly prefer no commentary at all given that they don't offer anything new or interesting most of the time. Or they almost speak over the team radio everyonce in a while, which leads me to shouting at them to STFU. :lol:

volarchico
volarchico

mx_tifoso wrote:...which leads me to shouting at them to STFU. :lol:
Been there, done that! When I get a chance to see the BBC feed instead of SpeedTV it's a much more enjoyable experience.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

New Sky F1 channel according to autoblog:
There aren't a lot of television stations in the world dedicated entirely to cars. On this side of the Atlantic, we have Speed and Discovery's new Velocity channel, and the latter isn't even all cars all the time. But now, the UK is getting its own dedicated Formula One network.

Resulting from the BBC's forfeiture of part of its F1 contract to Rupert Murdoch's Sky network, Sky Sports F1 is launching this year in high definition. The channel will carry the grands prix themselves throughout the entire season, without commercials, as well as all the practice and qualifying sessions. In between race weekends, the channel will show interviews, magazine programs and re-runs of races.

Sky Sports F1 will be provided to existing Sky subscribers as part of their bundle, but it will also be available through other providers like Virgin Media, which has just signed on to the deal as well. Sky has also been lining up a roster of talent to cover the races and provide the commentary, including former F1 drivers Martin Brundle, Anthony Davidson and Damon Hill, the 1996 World Champion who most recently signed on.

As for race fans here in the colonies, we'll soldier on with Speed's coverage (with occasional races broadcast on Fox) and TSN in Canada.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/18/sky- ... d-channel/

gold333
gold333

Can someone in just a few sentences explain why this splitting up of broadcasting is supposed to be good for F1?

PS: Personally the BBC F1 coverage I find the best coverage of any sport I have ever seen in my life. The only thing I could improve on the BBC coverage is if they had a little more room / knowledge for nostalgia and fans above 30 years old on their shows. (I'm only 33 so I ain't an old man).
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).