Carbon Fibre pushrod, a closer look

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Carbon Fibre pushrod, a closer look

Pierce89 wrote:
marcush. wrote:as for the use of fabricated steel for suspension components its 15CDV6 1.7734. 4 or 5 one should use these days

funny that motorsports never reached the sophistication in terms of conification ,butting and other types of tube forming techniques like bike frame builders..
Some of the aluminum bike frames I've seen, border on being artwork. Even modern motocross bikes have incredible extruded aluminum frames.
I agree of course, I have a feeling that carbon fibre is often used by default without much prior consideration in F1,
why I suspect that xtruded aluminium profiles with proper end-mounts would work just fine for suspension parts.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

I attended a lecture at oxford brooks long tme ago presented by the then lead stress engineer Mr.o´rourke who stated they would never ever use CF if there was an alternative.. I´d guess this has changed big time.
Mind you with some radiator and exhaust work -not much in terms of welding expertise in demand these days.. :(

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote: ...
Mind you with some radiator and exhaust work -not much in terms of welding expertise in demand these days.. :(
I have some xperience of gluing the end-mounts to an aluminium profile with xcellent results,
but in a completely different application-area of course.

marcush.
marcush.

why not..I´d think with extruded aluminium alloys ,heat treatment and aging and whatever you could do with al it seems a good idea to bond components after all. Sure when weight is a main consideration you need to control resin/glue application strictly -by design .but process is much easier to control as treatiing the component after welding to regain all properties...if the alloy is even suitable for welding.

xpensive
xpensive

It was actually an Alu-rockbolt I designed for Atlas Copco way back when, prototypes looked absolutely stunning, blue-anodized and all, 6082-T4 and T6 were both tried. Too bad we never found a suitable environment for it corrosion-wise...#-o

Brian.G
Brian.G

Re: Carbon Fibre pushrod, a closer look.

bill shoe wrote:Brian-

Somehow I didn't see this thread until today. I occasionally write posts, and when I do I give some opinion about such and such thing, pretty mild. Your original post here is a really impressive lump of substance. Thanks.
You are welcome Bill.

Just having a fast skim read as Ive been missing a while,

Few other fab methods to consider -

Uprights, Titanium lost wax is common on a lot of parts Incl some gearbox parts.

Touching on the artwork of AL bike frames, hydroforming is another to consider also for such fabrications(pushrods and stuff).

The benefit of hydro forming is that because internal psi is constant over all surfaces internally, the metal will deform/comply to tool at a constant rate too - meaning uniform wall thickness - meaning less stress points where thickness changes - meaning you can start with a thinner sheet as you could if you were form stamping parts - with form stamping, the material will draw at a different rate ,leading to thin areas, and thick ones. This normally means an over than adequate thickness is selected to cover your ass on the thin draw areas.

Mercedes did just this on the new SLR to save weight over conventional cold forming mono sections. The hyroform method allowed them to use thinner AL sheet, and they made a pretty large(ish) weight saving.

Picture this too, if you have two strips of AL say 3'' x 20'' you can weld them both together both at the edges to seal, and in a parallel to long edges down along middles say, 4 lines of weld.
Once inflated, you are left with a XXXX internal cross section as the welds hold plates together where they are welded through.

Sorry for the hurried post, Ill fill in the blanks again, its late, and its been a long day, I came on this by accident when googling for something else., its always mad when you meet yourself on the internet.

BG
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will