Raikkonen performance on R30

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Raikkonen performance on R30

According to Scarbs: "it'll be measured at the reference plane at the axle line"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

PDLR
And I've always said that of all the drivers I've worked with, he's probably the most brilliant. If Lotus can build a competitive car, Kimi could surprise this year.
...for autosport.com
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

Interesting. He's worked; let's not forget; with JB; Hamilton; Nando and Hakkinen
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

THe rear ride height is 80, not 60.

As to why you'd have toe settings as they are, presumably they compensate for geometry change under load so that under braking the fronts are parallel and under acceleration the rears become more parallel whilst not risking going toe out and have the car get squirmy under throttle out of the corners - particularly as there'll be some lateral load early in the acceleration zone as the car moves away from the apex...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mx_tifoso wrote:PDLR
And I've always said that of all the drivers I've worked with, he's probably the most brilliant. If Lotus can build a competitive car, Kimi could surprise this year.
...for autosport.com
Has anyone ever doubted Kimi's raw pace in an F1 car? It's his attitude that draws the comments...

raymondu999

Just_a_fan wrote:THe rear ride height is 80, not 60.
No really; zoom in massively. It's 60; not 80. It LOOKS 80; and if you zoom it massively and squint hard enough; THEN you'll see the 6
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mkeRed
mkeRed

xpensive wrote:I believe that to be 32 and 80 respectively actually, some rake that.

Fascinating shot anyway, does anyone know for certain what "PPS" is in reference to, obviously something hydraulic,
might it have something to do with reactive ride height? If so, the area 4.960 mm^2 and 6 cc volume is most interesting,
when that translates to a 25 mm diameter with a 12 mm displacement, pretty close to the numbers myself and an inactive member has been toying around with.

A quick guess would be a push-pull solenoid which would make sense as a possible component for the RRH system. Of course the devil's advocate stance would be that you could probably stick a PPS in any number of places on an F1 car (or maybe my first comment was the devil's advocate stance, who knows anymore).

Edit: It would make a bit more sense for the RRH internals to be in the Brake table but I could see it going both ways.

I do wonder if Lotus really have a set of Ferrari-style sprung anti-roll bar linkages or if they just put that on the sheet for looks. (I know Ferrari didn't invent it but I think they were the first in F1 to have it and I can't recall the LMS team that I think developed it).

Also, the castor value, that can't be degrees, right? To my mind 12 degrees seems extreme.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Roughly, what is the suspension setup?

There is an outer spring specified but no outer damper.
There are center dampers but no center spring. What is a center system?
There are roll dampers.

That is the possibility of a three types of dampener systems per each end of the car (not just three dampers). What would that look like?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

mkeRed wrote: Also, the castor value, that can't be degrees, right? To my mind 12 degrees seems extreme.
Some of the adjustment numbers might just relate to the shim stacks the mechanics would use to adjust the control arms positions.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Could the PPS information relate to the size and volume of the gas pressurization cylinders found with the shocks?

Brian

mkeRed
mkeRed

hardingfv32 wrote:Could the PPS information relate to the size and volume of the gas pressurization cylinders found with the shocks?

Brian
Oh, good idea, I wasn't really sold on PPS being part of the RRH but it makes sense as part of the damper system since they don't list any details of the internal fluids for dampers (as you would expect them to).

I don't know how they would work in the damper system since they only list one per axle but I don't fully understand the cross-linked Merc damper system either!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

raymondu999 wrote:
No really; zoom in massively. It's 60; not 80. It LOOKS 80; and if you zoom it massively and squint hard enough; THEN you'll see the 6
Done all that. It's 80. :wink:

strad

IT'S 80!!!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

sknguy
sknguy

mx_tifoso wrote:PDLR
...for autosport.com
From his interviews, the Iceman seems a bit more focussed on the task than I remembered him being, and his feedback is more interesting to listen to. Just my perspective.

PS. I didn't realize I missed seeing him on the track.

thisisatest
thisisatest

As to why you'd have toe settings as they are, presumably they compensate for geometry change under load so that under braking the fronts are parallel and under acceleration the rears become more parallel whilst not risking going toe out and have the car get squirmy under throttle out of the corners - particularly as there'll be some lateral load early in the acceleration zone as the car moves away from the apex...
i'm pretty sure the static toe settings dont fluctuate much with compression/extension. i'm under the impression that these are typical toe settings for these cars.