Wind tunnel talk 2012

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Ferrari F2012

raymondu999 wrote:Is that how it happens? 60% length by 60% width by 60% height? Or is it 60% over volume?
60% of real life HxWxL is the same as 60% of the volume since the volume is HxWxL
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

wesley123 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Is that how it happens? 60% length by 60% width by 60% height? Or is it 60% over volume?
60% of real life HxWxL is the same as 60% of the volume since the volume is HxWxL
Ummm... no...

60%H x 60%W x 60%L = 21.6%HWL

If you had a box that was exactly 1 cubic meter, (1m x 1m x 1m) then 60% of the volume would mean .6 cubic meters. If you had it 60% length each way, that would mean 60cmx60cmx60cm, or .216 cubic meters
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

raymondu999 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Ummm... no...

60%H x 60%W x 60%L = 21.6%HWL

If you had a box that was exactly 1 cubic meter, (1m x 1m x 1m) then 60% of the volume would mean .6 cubic meters. If you had it 60% length each way, that would mean 60cmx60cmx60cm, or .216 cubic meters
](*,)

That was really stupid of me, you're right
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa
Huntresa

remix wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:
remix wrote:Sorry, but what is a acer ramp? The sidepod?
Look for where it says "Acer" on the side pod rear. That's the ramp.

Is there any limit to the wind tunnel testing? Or is that allowed 24/7/365
Ok thx

Its allowed but the problem is the costs ( fia has introduced costs reduction) there are rumours that redbull as only team do not follow the rules and explodes his costs but is not easy to prove that.

There is a limit to how much Wind Tunnel you can do, not just cap on costs.

turbof1

Huntresa wrote: There is a limit to how much Wind Tunnel you can do, not just cap on costs.
Not to mention time: with only 1 windtunnel allowed, there are only 24 hours a day (which even might be 8 hours a day) you can really use to test parts. New parts are also much more difficult to make: either you have to redesign large parts of the car, or you have to introduce small parts which make complex changes in the way aero is working on the car. Both need alot of development and aren't seeing that quickly windtunnel light.
#AeroFrodo

adam2003
adam2003

remix wrote:Hi chassis

Can u confirm ur post? Have you a source?

@adam: yes the original car is 100% and in wintunnel is the car 40% smaller = 60% from the original

Example 50% in windtunnel= if the original car is 3meter length in windtunnel the car is only 1.5meters

Thank you

Greets
The car in the video and picture looks proper size doesn't look Nealy half the size of a normal car

Huntresa
Huntresa

adam2003 wrote:
remix wrote:Hi chassis

Can u confirm ur post? Have you a source?

@adam: yes the original car is 100% and in wintunnel is the car 40% smaller = 60% from the original

Example 50% in windtunnel= if the original car is 3meter length in windtunnel the car is only 1.5meters

Thank you

Greets
The car in the video and picture looks proper size doesn't look Nealy half the size of a normal car
If you have looked at the video you know its not 100%, 3minutes and 25sec you can see how big the persons are compared to the car.

Richard
Richard

Re: Wind tunnel talk 2012

Perhaps it would help some members to have a quick look at the sporting regs :arrow: http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/f1regs.html

Relevant clause are:
22.4(c)(iii) Four one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 January of the current year and the start of the last Event of the Championship. Any of these days may be substituted for four
hours of wind‐on full scale wind tunnel testing to be carried out in a single twenty four hour period.

22.9 With the exception of the full scale testing permitted in 22.4(c)(iii) above, no wind tunnel testing may be carried out using a scale model which is greater than 60% of full size.

22.10 No wind tunnel testing may be carried out at a speed exceeding 50 metres/second.

hollus

Huntresa wrote:Mod Edit - this post and next couple of pages moved from F2012 thread.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
amouzouris wrote:Great shots of wind tunnel testing:

The car is connected to the vertical rod holding it in place not on top of the tv camera pod like other wind tunnels but inside the cockpit

Is that Ferraris own Wind tunnel tho ? I mean are the shots zoomed or is it 100% ?
Seeing how they hold the model, I am no longer surprised that not much attention is paid to helmet aerodynamics.
I understand that there is not much leeway in the shape, but I still think that there must be something to be gained or lost depending on helmet's position while cornering (to the inside, centered, to the outside or even rotated).
I can't seem to find any evidence either way, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

raymondu999

Michael Schumacher actually often tilts his head to the side in qualifying on the straights. Martin Brundle once said it was to let more air in through the airbox
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hollus

I'd call that fixing a design flaw more than optimizing, though...
Rivals, not enemies.

skgoa
skgoa

Had it actually brought them better performance, you would have seen all drivers do it after a while. And the air inlet is in free air anyways, while almost all the air hitting the driver's helmet will leave the car between the rear wing main element and beam wing. I.e. it's not going to do any work anyways. (They tried to put that air to use with these "nose wings" that were promptly banned for impeeding visibility.) There is almost no point in caring about what the helmet does to the air, apart from the helmet itself having as low drag as possible.

edit: There is something very important to be seen in the last photo: Ferrari (as well as every other team nowadays) mostly test at a slight angle. This is because the car has to work best in curves.
Last edited by skgoa on 22 Oct 2012, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

strad

They have done a ton of research on the helmet interfering/aiding airflow to the airbox, and how the driver holds his head makes a big difference. They made helmets specifically to try to influence the airflow. This is the very reason I once suggested a side inlet instead of over head, but I'm sure that the overhead design gains from simplicity and overall aeroflow. Since they can't drop the driver, I'm suprised they haven't lobbied for a higher roll hoop/airbox.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

skgoa
skgoa

Yeah but at some point there is not much more you can do. Helmets have to have a certain shape to fullfill their primary funktion.

strad

you might want to talk to Schuberth et al...they've done a ton of aero work :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss