Embarrassment for Hamilton? The Reborn Button...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Embarrassment for Hamilton? The Reborn Button...

raymondu999 wrote:To be fair it wasn't really the BGP001 moving backwards was it? More like hte others overtaking it (in terms of pecking order)
Actually ray, it was moving backwards.
The upgrades added to the car made it slower to the point once lifted the car appeared to regain a semblance of its former self.
More could have been done.
David Purley

jdlive
jdlive

jamsbong wrote:"Embarrassment for Hamilton? The Reborn Button..."???

I think Button's rebirth came in 2010. Hamilton had his one hit wonder, just like Villeneuve in the 90s. Unless Hamilton has the required intelligence and focus, I highly doubt that he will be able to win as long as drivers like Button, Vettel, Alonso is around. Then there is Schumacher and Raikkonen who could easily spoil Hamilton's day if their car is performing at the same level.

I always feel like throwing up when I hear him say "I'm Lewis Hamilton, a world champion" from the Tag Heuer ad.
Idd. He seems to be the fastest in his own (and his fans') head, rather than on real life on track. He won 1 WC with all the luck in the world against someone who now clearly appears to be not one of the top drivers. As the most nurtured driver ever, he has proven nothing really.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

FrukostScones

jdlive wrote:

I think Button's rebirth came in 2010. Hamilton had his one hit wonder, just like Villeneuve in the 90s. Unless Hamilton has the required intelligence and focus, I highly doubt that he will be able to win as long as drivers like Button, Vettel, Alonso is around. Then there is Schumacher and Raikkonen who could easily spoil Hamilton's day if their car is performing at the same level.

I always feel like throwing up when I hear him say "I'm Lewis Hamilton, a world champion" from the Tag Heuer ad.
Idd. He seems to be the fastest in his own (and his fans') head, rather than on real life on track. He won 1 WC with all the luck in the world against someone who now clearly appears to be not one of the top drivers. As the most nurtured driver ever, he has proven nothing really.
I m not the biggest Hamilton Fan but he has proven a lot. He embarrassed Alonso in 2007 finishing higher than him( Alonso, the best driver since Senna and Schumacher era, I m serious), he didn't score the title 2007 because of bad luck, he won the title 2008 against a mentally stable Massa, he finished higher than Button in 2010 (despite all his mistakes). He is made out o the same wood like Alonso. He is definitely faster than Button, but his problem are the Pirelli tyres and his psyche.
His team gave the best in Australia to let him finish in the best position possible, why should they favor him over Button while in 2nd position, there was no need to do it. Vettel overtook him because Vet was at times faster and a bit lucky.

That Hamilton was angry after the race is understandable, but he should not be angry at his team, he should be angry at Pirelli, but the main thing is that he also should try to relax and take a systematic approach in curing his mental and tyre related problems. Counseling should be an option (I highly recommend this also to Massa, his problem is not Hungary 2009, but Alonso and mean not the speed of Alonso).
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Pierce89

FrukostScones wrote:
jdlive wrote:

I m not the biggest Hamilton Fan but he has proven a lot. He embarrassed Alonso in 2007 finishing higher than him( Alonso, the best driver since Senna and Schumacher era, I m serious), he didn't score the title 2007 because of bad luck, he won the title 2008 against a mentally stable Massa, he finished higher than Button in 2010 (despite all his mistakes). He is made out o the same wood like Alonso. He is definitely faster than Button, but his problem are the Pirelli tyres and his psyche.
His team gave the best in Australia to let him finish in the best position possible, why should they favor him over Button while in 2nd position, there was no need to do it. Vettel overtook him because Vet was at times faster and a bit lucky.

That Hamilton was angry after the race is understandable, but he should not be angry at his team, he should be angry at Pirelli, but the main thing is that he also should try to relax and take a systematic approach in curing his mental and tyre related problems. Counseling should be an option (I highly recommend this also to Massa, his problem is not Hungary 2009, but Alonso and mean not the speed of Alonso).
For once, we totally agree.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

banibhusan

jdlive wrote:
He has proven it on more than one occasion that he is a talented driver and is pretty fast too. His natural racing abilities are well known to everyone in the racing fraternity. He can extract the best out of any car. The only problem is, he has failed to do it consistently like some of his peers have done over the years. Somehow, he just seems pretty fragile at most instances.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

IMO he is his own worst enemy. Doesn't seem to have that steely resolve that many of the top drivers seem to have, instead he lets his under performance consume him.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

lebesset
lebesset

why should he be angry with pirelli ? their remit is to come up with tyres that everyone can use

for years we had championships distorted by tyres , , bridgestone producing tyres biased to ferrari , then michelin for renault

personally I want to see an even playing field using tyres that require driver skill , up to hamilton to get a handle on them

one of the reasons for this years designs is so that it isn't only hamilton and the RB's that can turn them on properly

having said that I am certain hamilton will adapt ...he is that good

watch this space
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:Anyone who thinks that Hamilton is slow needs their head examining. Even Button has admitted that Hamilton is worryingly fast.

Hamilton's problem is that he is fast no matter what. And if the car is killing the tyres when it is fast then his speed plays against him fairly quickly.

Button's style is nearly as quick as Hamilton's but, crucially, it is kinder to the tyres. A case of tortoise and hare, it seems.

An interesting tweet to Brundle suggets that 77% of drivers who have won the first race of the season have gone on to win the title since 1990. If that is true, then Hamilton has got his work cut out to rebalance the odds.

I'm guessing that the 77% stat doesn't take account of the fact that in most teams there is a definite fast and slow driver (these being relative terms, of course). Where both drivers for a team are closely matched I'm betting the the result lies somewhat in the remaining 23% of races...
This is strange because the lap time data shows that Button started off much faster than Hamilton.

If Hamilton takes the same lines as he did in qualifying then why should he be slower at the start of the race one might ask...

I don't know the reason why Button could get those 4 seconds over Hamilton in 12 laps.. but this is what comes up to me:

Qualifying:

1. low fuel
2. fresh tyres3
3. fast tyre warm up

Race start
1. Heavy fuel
2. used tyres
3. Slow tyre warm up

Button was only faster for those first twelve laps.. there must be something that he was doing or something different with his tyres. that is the only explanation for me. Hamilton's pace was just as fast if not faster than Button's after that period. Both of them were even saving fuel from lap 8 was it?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Pup
Pup

n smikle wrote:Button was only faster for those first twelve laps.. there must be something that he was doing or something different with his tyres.
After Australia, you said you weren’t sure how you’d lost pace relative to Jenson: do you now understand that, and does that put you in a good position for Malaysia?

“Yeah, after the race in Australia, it was difficult to understand exactly what happened. I was generally happy with the car all weekend, but just lacked a bit of pace compared to Jenson in the race. Afterwards, I sat down with my engineers and we went through all the data. There was a small issue with the clutch at the start: it wasn’t my fault, but we now understand and know how to improve in the future. My race pace was pretty much identical to Jenson’s, but he was able to switch the tyres on extremely well, which explains how he was able to pull a gap so quickly at the start and also after the restart.
http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/05621#page_top

PlatinumZealot

Ah thanks Pup, that pretty much satisfies my suspiscions..

So IRONICALLY Button switches on the tyres faster than Hamilon!!
:shock: :shock:
Do you know the implications of that folks?! who would have thought it?

Hamilton better figure that 'ish out quick!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

timbo
timbo

n smikle wrote:Ah thanks Pup, that pretty much satisfies my suspiscions..

So IRONICALLY Button switches on the tyres faster than Hamilon!!
:shock: :shock:
Do you know the implications of that folks?! who would have thought it?

Hamilton better figure that 'ish out quick!
Well, if by braking slightly earlier he carries more speed onto the apex, compared to Hamilton's late apex-aggressive turn-in, than he probably generates more heat from lateral loads?

raymondu999

I don't think they really take different lines anymore nowadays - look at recent 2011 onboards by them. Both trail brake right up to the apex.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think they really take different lines anymore nowadays - look at recent 2011 onboards by them. Both trail brake right up to the apex.
It's a game of hundredths of the seconds and so far I've seen only comparisons of the all-out qualy laps, we should look at what they do in the race.

raymondu999

Aha. Hard to find race lap onboards though
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

megz

Robbobnob wrote:IMO he is his own worst enemy. Doesn't seem to have that steely resolve that many of the top drivers seem to have, instead he lets his under performance consume him.
In that regard he is more like a more talented Trulli or Fisichella. He can and is fast but only when in the right frame of mind. Trulli and Fisichella were perhaps a less capable of driving around car issues but are much the same. They are mighty fast (Trulli especially so over one lap) but find it hard to stomach when they aren't driving as well as they can.

I think Massa is a bit like that too but is coached along enough by Smedley that it's masked much of the time.