Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Unc1e_M0nty

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:McLaren has put a small strake next to the floor protecting heat resistant tape to help guide exhaust gasses

Beautiful shot, looks so clean and simple.

When I first saw the exhaust bump at the launch I couldn't understand what they were trying to do, only when I saw the Red Bull exhaust ramp at the last test did I really get what was happening, same idea but Macca's simpler solution is both elegant and efficient.

Shrieker

Blackout wrote:Better picture
Mclaren battery + CPU unit

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/79/55/26/kfuztk10.jpg
Looks pretty much like a toolkit :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

aduka11
aduka11

Question regarding Mclaren floor...

The hot gases which exit the exhaust channel...are bit exiting in direction of Rear Brake ducts...

Should that be dangerous...i mean it can easly cause brake failure if it enters...

Just a though.

raymondu999

They spent a long time tuning that through winter testing - I don't expect them to really have trouble with that. Barring force majeure of course.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Marc.W

aduka11 wrote:Question regarding Mclaren floor...

The hot gases which exit the exhaust channel...are bit exiting in direction of Rear Brake ducts...

Should that be dangerous...i mean it can easly cause brake failure if it enters...

Just a though.
Don't forget that the air flowing around the car will change where the gases end up!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Also noticed they now have two slots above the sidepod inlets similar to what we've seen on the RB8. Weren't there in Australia, so maybe it's a Malaysia thing. But RB ran the same in winter testing so maybe they'll be there from here on out.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

They've had them since 2010.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Owen.C93 wrote:They've had them since 2010.
They didn't use them in Australia was my point. And I don't believe they were there in testing. Maybe just a Malaysia thing.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Sorry I'm tired. I've seen them before on the 27, possibly in testing so I'm sure they wont be used all the time. As you said just a malaysia thing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Owen.C93 wrote:Sorry I'm tired. I've seen them before on the 27, possibly in testing so I'm sure they wont be used all the time. As you said just a malaysia thing.
Me too. No worries. Probably just a Malaysia thing & the same for the asymmetric cooling gills.

crbassassin

hardingfv32 wrote:What are the hoses doing?

Brian

air to repressurize the pneumatic valves

MIKEY_!

I thought that was done by a little gas cylinder in the sidepod, like the one that exploded on the Renault last year.

Onch

Indeed, plus even if they wanted to maintain pneumatic pressure they would not need such big pipes.
edit: Actually in the past the Mercedes engine carried its own little compressor, so there was no need for an air tank. Not sure if it is still the case.

As mentionned earlier these are for fuel. I suspect it is all automatic as well, you just input the amount of fuel you want in the car and the system will add/remove accordingly.

marcush.
marcush.

it´s going into the tub ,just where you expect the fuel tank.With no quickrefueling anymore I´d guess this is a fuel transfer thing .
The engineer can easily adjust fuel allocation for each run and fuel does not reamin for longer periods in hot car so a lot of waste heat is relieved of the car /no hot fuel is hampering the systems in the car on runs.Not sure when you are obliged to disconnect .

mind you it´s seemingly not poka yoke just the red ring is telling you which is which line...yes of course no random people will manhandle these but anyways better avoid any possibility for wrong connections...

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

raymondu999 wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:
Shrieker wrote:It seems that the heat bothers one more than the other. Possible sign for the race ?
One is a black man, the other a white man.
Who's better adapted for warm weather?
Scientifically, black skin would have more melanin. That would make him more heat-resistant, no?

Heat and UV are different things :p melanin protects you from sun's harmful uv light. It doesn't help you against heat.