Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Ferrari F2012

Oh, I'm positive those extensions serve other purposes aside from exhaust. But, without exhausts, I don't know that Ferrari can justify their existence within the rules, you know?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:Oh, I'm positive those extensions serve other purposes aside from exhaust. But, without exhausts, I don't know that Ferrari can justify their existence within the rules, you know?
Yeah for sure. I also wonder how accurate the data will be from the new position with it jury rigged like it is. But yes good point.

Edit: I have a feeling we will see that configuration changed in the morning. ;) ;)

PhillipM
PhillipM

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: That's assuming they're using that extension only for the exhausts. I think there's more to it. But I agree moving them inboard will change things a bit.
I assume they were using the exhaust plume to accelerate the airflow there coming from the radiators, through those shrouds, which should let them use slightly smaller inlets.

donskar
donskar

CHT wrote:things are definitely not looking good for Ferrari. I am worried that F2012 might turn out to be a total disaster and embarrassment for the team. F2012 do have all the great ideas, but they just couldn't put them together as a package. With so many new ideas and limited track testing, I am not sure how long it will take for them to correlate the wind tunnel data.

Alonso - “There’s still a lot of work to do, but isn’t that what we are here for?” said the man from Asturias. “I don’t think we will see anything different over the coming days, because before we can see what this car is really capable of, we must piece together all the pieces in the jigsaw."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2748 ... ork-to-do/
"a total disaster and embarrassment"? Do you think that you MIGHT be just a tiny bit premature? Re-read Alanoso's quote: "still a lot of work to do, but isn’t that what we are here for?" The passion I see in this thread is very uplifting, but my God guys, take a deep breath!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Kiril Varbanov

donskar wrote: "a total disaster and embarrassment"? Do you think that you MIGHT be just a tiny bit premature? Re-read Alanoso's quote: "still a lot of work to do, but isn’t that what we are here for?" The passion I see in this thread is very uplifting, but my God guys, take a deep breath!
That's the overall trend when it comes to Ferrari these days.
I'm not sure why blazing-fast times are expected with Pitot tube mounted and some flow-viz on the rear wing, two different exhaust configs, testing of internal cooling parts, etc.
But let's see. Some say that Melbourne will deliver the truth, but I'd rather wait for the first 5 races before making solid statements.

bhall
bhall

Kiril Varbanov wrote:But let's see. Some say that Melbourne will deliver the truth, but I'd rather wait for the first 5 races before making solid statements.
Hey, mister. We don't take kindly to such well-reasoned logic around these parts. You need to either get with the hyperbole or get yourself out of here.

(In case that was dry beyond recognition: I meant it as a joke.)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:But let's see. Some say that Melbourne will deliver the truth, but I'd rather wait for the first 5 races before making solid statements.
Hey, mister. We don't take kindly to such well-reasoned logic around these parts. You need to either get with the hyperbole or get yourself out of here.

(In case that was dry beyond recognition: I meant it as a joke.)
Shoot, this is nothing.. LOL.
But more seriously I agree completely with Kiril, as do most level headed people. And obviously that goes for more than just Ferrari, all cars.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

F2012 Yesterday
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tGE-HmT-H4[/youtube]

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Holy Flo-Vis batman

raymondu999

Looking at it from that angle - almost makes you wonder why Ferrari didn't go for a full U-pod arrangement. That certainly looks like what they're doing; albeit not as "squared" or angular as the McLaren design; if you're looking only from that angle.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pup
Pup

That flowvis seems a bit chaotic. :?

CHT
CHT

donskar wrote:
CHT wrote:things are definitely not looking good for Ferrari. I am worried that F2012 might turn out to be a total disaster and embarrassment for the team. F2012 do have all the great ideas, but they just couldn't put them together as a package. With so many new ideas and limited track testing, I am not sure how long it will take for them to correlate the wind tunnel data.

Alonso - “There’s still a lot of work to do, but isn’t that what we are here for?” said the man from Asturias. “I don’t think we will see anything different over the coming days, because before we can see what this car is really capable of, we must piece together all the pieces in the jigsaw."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2748 ... ork-to-do/
"a total disaster and embarrassment"? Do you think that you MIGHT be just a tiny bit premature? Re-read Alanoso's quote: "still a lot of work to do, but isn’t that what we are here for?" The passion I see in this thread is very uplifting, but my God guys, take a deep breath!
pre-mature or not it really depends on one's expectation of the team at Australia. I personally think that Ferrari has fallen behind in pre-season testing and they are unlikely to deliver a car that is good enough to fight for win at Australia. I hope I am wrong as I would like Ferrari to be fighting at the front.

Over the years, I have learn not to read too much into what driver says as they always like to put on a brave face regardless of how bad the situation. I would actually prefer to make my judgement based on what they are doing during testing instead.

CHT
CHT

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Holy Flo-Vis batman

what are those lumps below the Scuderia Ferrari logo? Are they shrink wrapping the rear end to channel more air to the rear?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Deformation of bodywork??

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r404 ... ionBCN.png

Edit: yeah it looks like deformation of the bodywork no?

@bhall yeppers was looking back at photos. Never noticed those before.
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 22 Feb 2012, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

bhall
bhall

No. For whatever reason, those are features of the engine cover.