Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
balalev
balalev

Re: Ferrari F2012

corrected

beelsebob
beelsebob

I think I found where they got the inspiration...

Tyler
Tyler

ecapox wrote:
A13EX_f wrote:the simplicity of the bump in the nose cone makes me think this is just a red herring and their actual race / testing nose will be much more complex, I mean even the caterahm's bump looks more developed than this one.
Yep. I bet they show up with a better nose in testing. I bet thise one was just covered up for pictures. It looks like a brick in the wind.
I sincerely doubt it.
There are no big secrets to be given away with a slightly smoother or refined looking nose and it would just be a waste of time and resources.
It may be ugly but get used to it, this is the nose they'll be coming to the first tests with and unless some sort of problem crops up, the same nose they'll be bringing to Melbourne.

Redragon

This is what i mean for the two air flows, one from the engine pipe scape pointing down center to difusser
and second one hot air flow from the sidepods pointing brake ducts and rear wheels

http://jorgelizalde.co.uk/ferrrari/example1.jpg
http://jorgelizalde.co.uk/ferrrari/example2.jpg

Hope my illustrations are more clear now

shelly
shelly

Yes it is something easy that catches the eye. Not that easy though, for vibrations and also for flow angle: you have to have a really angled low to be able to exploit the benefit of such a geometry I think
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Great high res shot of the rear of the F2012. right click view image.

CHT
CHT

King Six wrote:
NoDivergence wrote:So in other words, the car that we see here from driver's seat and up is not the actual car? Give me a break, you think they have time to waste resources on something like that?
No, just the changeable front wing assembly. Which includes the entire stepped bit and everything afterwards. The monocoque ends somewhere just after the suspension and then the removable nosecone starts, which can be completely changed/modified easily throughout the season.

The monocoque for this car is high, so they will still have to have a step in order to be legal, but the step might not be as crude as it is as the car is developed.
according to Ferrari, a beautiful car is a car that win, so i doubt they will really care too much about the look department for F2012.

"There have been some rumours saying that this car is ugly and I have to confess that I am not objective on that, as I don't share that opinion," said Tombazis in a video interview broadcast on Ferrari's website.

"For me I have got used to the bump on the nose. I think the rest of the car has been the fruit of a lot of detail work.

"Ultimately, as far as I am concerned, an ugly car is one that doesn't win and a beautiful car is one that does win. So, for now, I want to believe it is a beautiful car and we will have to review that after the first few races."

Raptor22
Raptor22

beelsebob wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:so you mean they have to crash test the actual race chassis before MOnday....
No, he means this isn't the one that's been crash tested.

I find that highly unlikely...

vall
vall

balalev wrote:Image

corrected
The best reference is the tire size, if you can measure it correctly. I think the Ferrari needs to be increased.

Hangaku

vall wrote:The best reference is the tire size, if you can measure it correctly. I think the Ferrari needs to be increased.
Indeed, the tyres on the Ferrari in this image are clearly smaller.
Yer.

CHT
CHT

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Great high res shot of the rear of the F2012. right click view image.

The rear wheel cooling duct are massive. They must be using the them to generate down extra force.

bhall
bhall

I wonder if the mirrors are somehow being used like a wing or other flow conditioner. It seems peculiar to me that both McLaren and Ferrari would make them taller unless doing so is a solution to something other than increasing visibility. Or was there a change in the regulations that explains this?

I also wonder if the black inserts within the "exhaust trunks" are removable so that air exiting the sidepods is energized by the exhaust, because they look just as temporary as the piece concealing the diffuser.

Of course, I also wonder if we're even seeing the true engine exhaust exits at all rather than an implementation of the following exhaust that was tested during the Young Driver test last year.

(All credit to Scarbs)

I guess I basically just have a lot of questions.
Last edited by bhall on 03 Feb 2012, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

Richard
Richard

[quote="Chasis_1992"].../quote]

Yes, that's the best way to scale. The distance from the leading edge of the front wing to the front axle is the longest fixed dimension that is in the same plane. It also picks up sharp edges that are easy to spot.

Scaling on the tyres diameter is a shorter dimension, and the rounded edge of the tyre makes it hard to get a crisp edge.

Cuky

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Great high res shot of the rear of the F2012. right click view image.

Picture

From this picture I can see that exhaust pipes are pointing up and outside.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

:sick: Such an ugly car!

Interesting to see pull rod front suspension though.

The whole rear end looks a bit suspect, the shape of that diffuser cover makes me suspect they've done something sneaky back there. The exhausts blowing in to the 'brake ducts' alone is going to give them a decent amount of downforce, unsprung as well...