Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gato azul
gato azul

Re: Ferrari F2012

if they allow a lot of front suspension travel with these control arm angles, they
will see some lateral tyre scrub.

It´s not that much different from last year (control arm/wishbone angle) but if you
see it in comparison to the F10 or the McLaren, you will notice a difference.

If the don´t (let the suspension "work") then it does not matter all this much - I suppose.

Redragon

I think mclaren is playing us fools, the frontal view of their official pictures you can appreciate it is not the same nose. with clean lines as they presented.

On this picture I am showing the shadows and bright area that from the point of view of a photographer like me, indicates this nose has a high level, a cut and lower high as the others cars, not so pronunciated but there is.

[img]http://jorgelizalde.co.uk/ferrrari ... .jpg[/img]

Afterburner

Maybe the front pull rod was supposed to work with the ride height control, it's such a gamble they're playing with tyre management....

Ferraripilot

Afterburner wrote: it's such a gamble they're playing with tyre management....

I completely agree. They may see a better front static ride height but at what expense of the tires. I'm wondering if it causes them to fall apart quicker due to excessive scrub or heating.

dren

Yes, I was going to say the front pullrod set-up may be due to packaging. There may be more packaged in the front nose than we know of.
Honda!

Maggot

quick comparison.. as the other one one was a bit off with tyres.. all properly scaled in my view.. macca and ferrari seem to be very close on wheelbase..

Ferraripilot

Ferrari tea tray certainly appears to have more area and volume above it

RichardHH
RichardHH

Just an observation about the 'brick' in the nose. Wouldn't this work kind of like a guerney flap, slowing the airflow on top of the nose structure, thus creating downforce? I admit, that with the lack of a side structure, the flow of air becomes quite turbulent on the sides and behind, generating vortexes. Maybe the gain in DF (if at all) outweighs the increase in drag.

To the exhaust exits. I cannot see the compliance of the bodywork with the sidepod exit shape. This clearly seems to be pointed downward. By my interpretation I don't think you can blow the exhaust inside the sidepods and then redirect the flow downward.

From the technical regulations:
5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures
permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a
right circular truncated cone which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre
line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel
centre line.
Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle
perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any
bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
I'm not sure, but in the picture from the rear, I think you can see the exhaust exit just on the inner side of the circular sidepod exists, pointing inward. Does anybody hava a better picture of the rear?

mclaren777

Are they hoping the FIA won't notice?

FrukostScones

Those OZ rims don't suit the Ferrari (they look so basic, like carriage wheels).
BBS was their style, shame.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

There's a massive amount of things going on with the F2012. If the way the nose looks is the worst of the problems, we're in for a good year. Front pull rod, jury is still out. The front nose is rather high allowing as much air as possible to get under and be directed around the car. The sidepods are very small, with the SWS wing I'm guessing forcing air into the inlet. The small valley atop the sidepods to help air get to the back of the car. The exhaust which is liable to change looks interesting and I'm sure will evolve. The roll hoop and air intakes is nothing special, but probably needed considering the smaller rad's. The opening in the back of the car at the diffuser is massive and will blow hot air over top of the diffuser.
And obviously there's much more, that's just off the top of my head. I'm not a fan of the nose but that's not my concern. Having a fast competitive car is and this car hopefully has potential.

wesley123
wesley123

mclaren777; These parts are on cars for ages and fall in legal area. Also how cant the FIA notice it? It is clearly visible on pictures, and in scruteneering it will be easily visible, unless Charlie Whiting became blind of course
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

agf1
agf1

Are the exhausts just after the acer badge?

By the way +1 to the fact that the OZ wheels just don't much, it looks nice though with the mclaren enkei wheels at the photoshoped image at the previous page.

mclaren777

wesley123 wrote:...unless Charlie Whiting became blind of course

8)