Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Ferrari F2012

bhallg2k wrote: ...
However, I do think that this is the second consecutive year that Ferrari's research results have failed to yield real-world gains; in fact, they're going backwards. So they either have correlation issues or they've simply forgotten how to design a car. (I tend to think it's the former.)
What confuses me is what research lead Ferrari to that horrid nose-job, I don't need no windtunnel to tell that's a brick?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Ferrari has denied it is planning to change its front suspension to push-rod with a B-spec car.

bhall
bhall

xpensive wrote:What confuses me is what research lead Ferrari to that horrid nose-job, I don't need no windtunnel to tell that's a brick?
It's definitely ugly, but it's quite literally the only design current rules will allow if the objective is a max height nose located behind the leading edge of the front wing.

The step on the Williams is almost identical. It's just concealed by dark paint and a longer nose.

amouzouris

new pieces not working doesnt mean that they have correlation issues..they were trying out the new FW...which would shift the balance to the front even more than before and make the car really undrivable...this doesnt mean a correlation issue..

bhall
bhall

Saying it twice doesn't make it any more or less true.

It's the exhaust configuration more than anything else that leads me to believe the team (still) has correlation issues. And there's no telling what other problems said issues have caused elsewhere.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:Saying it twice doesn't make it any more or less true.

It's the exhaust configuration more than anything else that leads me to believe the team (still) has correlation issues. And there's no telling what other problems said issues have caused elsewhere.
bhall the exhaust failure isn't a correlation with the wind tunnel. You can't put exhaust on a 60% model in the tunnel. They can only do that in CFD in which the team is behind some of the others. Exhaust can't be properly simulated in the tunnel. Either way it's horrible they produced another stinker, but as JT said, it doesn't point to tunnel issues.
The team needs a top notch aero guy such as Prodromou and needs to seriously update it's CFD facility & bring in some more experienced people as some teams are much further along in CFD sim than Ferrari.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:some teams are much further along in CFD sim than Ferrari.
You're privy to the internal workings, correlation studies, and technical documentation of the field's various aero programs? Or on what are you making this assertion?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

bhall
bhall

Ok, I guess I'm using the term correlation improperly. If it should be reserved for wind tunnel issues only, I apologize for causing any confusion.

As I use the term, I think Ferrari is having considerable difficulty correlating their research results - wind tunnel, CFD, 7 post rig, magic well - with real-world results, and this seems to be a trend.

Or Tombazis, Fry, et al. have forgotten how to design cars.

Pierce89

bhallg2k wrote:Ok, I guess I'm using the term correlation improperly. If it should be reserved for wind tunnel issues only, I apologize for causing any confusion.

As I use the term, I think Ferrari is having considerable difficulty correlating their research results - wind tunnel, CFD, 7 post rig, magic well - with real-world results, and this seems to be a trend.

Or Tombazis, Fry, et al. have forgotten how to design cars.
Correlation problems can happen in any of the R&D methods you mentioned. It doesn't have to refer specifically to the wind tunnel, but that does seem to be the most common type of correlation issue in F1.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Jersey Tom wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:some teams are much further along in CFD sim than Ferrari.
You're privy to the internal workings, correlation studies, and technical documentation of the field's various aero programs? Or on what are you making this assertion?
about the CFD, in an AutoSport Magazine interview with Pat Fry before the season started he talked about the fact Ferrari has always relied on Fiorano for most of the testing of the cars, so Ferrari didn't get as heavily involved with CFD and car simulators as the rest of the field, because obviously they had no reason to. And he simply put they are behind their main rivals in these two areas. They brought in some new people from other teams since last season.
As for the wind tunnel and exhaust, considering the 60% scale,no engine in the car, & no exhaust they can't replicate the effect in the tunnel. They can't simulate the pulse, speed of exhaust gasses compared to the speed of the airflow, the expansion rate, the temperature, ride height & cornering speed in the tunnel to accurately simulate what they would see on track. Whereas CFD can more accurately model the exhaust.

Here is a snippet from an AS article where Fry admits they're behind. There are others where he goes a little more in depth, but not too much of course.

banibhusan

What our respected member Mr. bhall trying to say is, whatever the issue might be, they need to get on top of it pretty soon and if needed they may have to sacrifice this season to get rid of all these teething problems they have. The problem might be related CFD or WT or Seven-post rig or lack of qualified and talented engineers etc etc.

The point is they should get to the bottom of that issue and eradicate it completely. 8)

Pierce89

banibhusan wrote:What our respected member Mr. bhall trying to say is, whatever the issue might be, they need to get on top of it pretty soon and if needed they may have to sacrifice this season to get rid of all these teething problems they have. The problem might be related CFD or WT or Seven-post rig or lack of qualified and talented engineers etc etc.

The point is they should get to the bottom of that issue and eradicate it completely. 8)
With Alonso as your driver, it's too early to call it unfixable shite.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall
bhall

Respected?

It's a little early to be drinking, no?

Pierce89

bhallg2k wrote:Respected?

The exact same thought I had. :wink:

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:Respected?

Scarbs just tweeted on Twitter that you found the Mercedes F-Duct ducts. :) Respected indeed. :)