Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
italian
italian

Re: Ferrari F2012

I come back after a long period without posting :D
Anyway, this image is clear:

Well, definitely the position of the radiators isn't a problem.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Hail22

I'm not liking Ferrari's Arrogance with regards to the radiators...clearly the Macca/Sauber variant is far more superior with dealing in terms of drag/intake.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

radosav
radosav

Hail22 wrote:I'm not liking Ferrari's Arrogance with regards to the radiators...clearly the Macca/Sauber variant is far more superior with dealing in terms of drag/intake.
don't sauber and ferrari have radiators in same position?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

radosav wrote:
Hail22 wrote:I'm not liking Ferrari's Arrogance with regards to the radiators...clearly the Macca/Sauber variant is far more superior with dealing in terms of drag/intake.
Yes Ferrari & Sauber have the same radiator position. I don't think the radiator is the problem.

@Italian Great to see you around mate :D

Kiril Varbanov

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
radosav wrote:
Yes Ferrari & Sauber have the same radiator position. I don't think the radiator is the problem.

@Italian Great to see you around mate :D
Shouldn't be a problem - the entire radiators talk was more or less initiated by me, as I wanted to understand why.
Generally, this stuff are easily spotted as issues in the wind tunnel. As it turns out, the radiators and sidepods outlets are rather problematic :)

I'm very curious what path Ferrari will choose.

Lycoming
Lycoming

Besides that, how would you know the radiators were the cause of their high drag?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Lycoming wrote:Besides that, how would you know the radiators were the cause of their high drag?

The whole talk of the radiators causing drag came from an OmniCorse.it article. Of course they were speculating about many things, the vertical radiators causing drag was one of them. It then caught on like wildfire and has been a topic of discussion. It's not so conventional compared to everyone but Sauber, so I can see the interest but I don't think they're causing drag. The team confirming they're not changing them is further evidence it was speculation.

amouzouris

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Lycoming wrote:Besides that, how would you know the radiators were the cause of their high drag?

The whole talk of the radiators causing drag came from an OmniCorse.it article. Of course they were speculating about many things, the vertical radiators causing drag was one of them. It then caught on like wildfire and has been a topic of discussion. It's not so conventional compared to everyone but Sauber, so I can see the interest but I don't think they're causing drag. The team confirming they're not changing them is further evidence it was speculation.
Yes, u r right...and scarbs was saying the other night on TFL that the media are talking a lot of BS about what ferrari's problems are...
wasn't OmniCorse saying about how they should change the pullrods as well??

cccag

very high monkey seat ?

Art & science are disciplines that must work together hand in hand - Horacio Pagani

Lycoming
Lycoming

wonder why they did that... the higher it is, the less it drives the diffuser and the less downforce both it and the rear wing make as their high and low pressure zones mix and dilute each other...

Perhaps this puts it in cleaner air, but I can't think of how that would be more beneficial than driving the diffuser.

amouzouris

Lycoming wrote:wonder why they did that... the higher it is, the less it drives the diffuser and the less downforce both it and the rear wing make as their high and low pressure zones mix and dilute each other...

Perhaps this puts it in cleaner air, but I can't think of how that would be more beneficial than driving the diffuser.
they don't really dilute each other..the high pressure flow of the monkey seat and the low pressure flow of the rear wing will never meet...they are too far away...the flow can only have an effect on the surface it is attached to...

Kiril Varbanov

cccag wrote:very high monkey seat ?
Just a cheap way of getting some downforce - not that beneficial, however.

shelly
shelly

My opinion is that the monkey seat is somehow related to the drs use.

The two configurations (drs closed /drs open) have probably a significant difference in the flow pattern in the zone of the rear wing; so, if the monkey seat is designed to be working with the correct incidence with drs closed, it could be that the monkey seat itself stalls when the drs is opened, and increases the effect of the drs, changing the pattern on the beam wing also.

So the monkey seat could be a drs enancher in qualy, plus providing a extra downforce bit when drs is closed.

In this light one could see merc abandoning the monkey seat they used last year after finding more effective drs enhancing systems (this experience would explain also Brawn being able to point out drs enhancing bodywork on other cars when discussing ddrs with fia)
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crabbia
Crabbia

cccag wrote:very high monkey seat ?
looking at the vent in the airbox cover that precedes it i think that this monkey seat is pretty high so that its plane is between the interface of the faster air comming off the airbox fin and the slower flow comming out of the middle heat exchanger duct.

here is a rear view, not perfect dead on straight (although the tyres are on at almost the same hight). The vent and fin edge does line up with the monkey seat plane.

just a guess tho, not even sure if that would be beneficial, if someone with more knowledge could critic this suggestion i'd appreciate it.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

amouzouris

If you compare the ferrari photo above with this mclaren photo i borrowed from the macca thread...i dont think that the monkey sit is higher...i think that it is just shallower...
What do u think??