Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10
f300v10

Re: Ferrari F2012

bhallg2k wrote:The front wing has been partitioned into five elements at the end plates (+ two cascade elements) since at least China, if not before.
The five element main profile was seen in pre-season testing but was not used in the first couple of races. Definitely not a recent development.

Mazdaboy

I think it's a modified gurney flap under the crash structure.

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Spankyham

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I think it looks virtually the same as the Canada spec but possibly moved backwards towards the driver a bit more. And the added vent/slot for cooling. Other than that it doesn't look that different to me. But won't know for sure until we see better pictures.
I thought you do stand a chance to see new spec front wings on Thursday because that's the day they test them? If a team wants to use a new spec front wing at the event I think it has to be tested?
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Hail22

I'm with crucial...the FW if there is a new one will appear most likely in FP1 on either Massa/Alonso car then in FP2 test both cars with the wings making a decision before/during FP3...it would be silly to showcase a new part before the green light has illuminated.

The only things we can see now that has changed is the exhaust, possibly floor, gurney flap has a slight modification...and is it me or is the rear suspension position slightly different to the last few races?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Spankyham

Need to start this off with the admission that I have no technical engineering qualification (ok, that should excuse anything really stupid that may follow in this post :) )

About the few pics we've seen of the Valencia exhaust. The most obvious difference is the slot before the exhaust outlet. The school seems to be out on whether it is now pointing a little more outward. There are definitely other differences, ie the channel on the floor and the shape of the bulge and cutaway of that.

Its stating the obvious that the objective is the channel the exhaust, but, the problem with a lot of images and drawings we see is that people show these flows as lines and arrows clearly heading in one particular direction. What I feel happens is, because these gases as so hot when they hit the atmosphere is they explode in all directions and some heads down the lines of the arrows. In looking at the slot ahead of the exhaust I don't think this is for cooling, it doesn't seem to be the right shape for that. I'm guessing/wondering if the subtle changes along with the slot are all aimed at containing the explosive behavior and shaping more of the gases to flow in the desired direction.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Spankyham wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I think it looks virtually the same as the Canada spec but possibly moved backwards towards the driver a bit more. And the added vent/slot for cooling. Other than that it doesn't look that different to me. But won't know for sure until we see better pictures.
I thought you do stand a chance to see new spec front wings on Thursday because that's the day they test them? If a team wants to use a new spec front wing at the event I think it has to be tested?
The scrutineers can test the wings, but new parts do not have to be on the car on Thursday's in order to be used. I was actually talking about the exhaust in my quoted post above. But the FW posted on the previous page is the same as what's been used at previous GP's. That's not a new wing. I know some today said it was new, but in fact it's not.

Edit:

As for the exhaust see this thread--> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12046

There is CFD analysis that shows what the exhaust is doing at low speed & at high speed.

amouzouris

new front wing on Alonsos car with a lot of flow vis

amouzouris

and some flow vis on massas barge boards

f1316
f1316

amouzouris

thank u!! different adjustable flap end endplates!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Fernando's car looked to be running Red Bull type rake. Interesting if indeed they are. Interesting new FW. More gills in the side and different top element shape. It looks like the innermost top cascade doesn't have a slot in it and the outside most top cascade goes straight across to the endplate instead of dipping down a bit.

amouzouris

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Fernando's car looked to be running Red Bull type rake. Interesting if indeed they are. Interesting new FW. More gills in the side and different top element shape. It looks like the innermost top cascade doesn't have a slot in it and the outside most top cascade goes straight across to the endplate instead of dipping down a bit.
the slot is still there on the innermost cascade!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote: the slot is still there on the innermost cascade!
When I say innermost I mean closest to the nose. I can't tell but trust it is if you say so mate. Did you see the 3 new fins on the bargeboards?

amouzouris

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
amouzouris wrote: the slot is still there on the innermost cascade!
When I say innermost I mean closest to the nose. I can't tell but trust it is if you say so mate. Did you see the 3 new fins on the bargeboards?
yup! i know what u mean mate! i saw a close up on the tv thats why im so sure! :P

and yeah the endplates look fantastic! looks like they brought them just a bit more to the inside so the curved part of the front wing elements are now exposed!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote: When I say innermost I mean closest to the nose. I can't tell but trust it is if you say so mate. Did you see the 3 new fins on the bargeboards?
yup! i know what u mean mate! i saw a close up on the tv thats why im so sure! :P

and yeah the endplates look fantastic! looks like they brought them just a bit more to the inside so the curved part of the front wing elements are now exposed![/quote]

+1 Thanks for the confirmation mate

Yes they new FWEP's look good. Let's hope the F2012 has a good package this weekend. :)))