Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Re: Ferrari F2012

Intego wrote:I think they got the sidepods wrong. They should be more elliptic near the floor (as Ringo elaborated in the RB7 thread). MCL and FI copied the bull best.

And where is the aggressive approach on this? It seems like another year of bad copying (beside the nose).
rear end, barge boards, front suspension...

scarlet
scarlet

Redragon wrote:
Redragon wrote:
Redragon wrote:http://jorgelizalde.co.uk/ferrrari/Scre ... 30.532.png

In this picture which i made it brighter with photoshop, you can see and I have marked the direction of the exhaust pointing

I think there are two flows, the exhaust pointing down and center. And hot air from the sidepots pointing break ducts
Come on guys, let's focus. What do you think about my theory of two exhausts?
Not two engine exausts, that's illegal. There's no reason why they can't blow the ducts just with hot air from the radiators though. The extra bodywork required for exhaust mounting might make this viable. No way to confirm until testing though!

King Six
King Six

balalev wrote:Image
McLaren had the longest car last season, this years car is very similar for McLaren in terms of wheelbase, so is the Ferrari really that much longer? It's a frickin Limo!

horse

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Uh the wings are most certainly there, although smaller than he envisioned. Looks like they could create a vortex to feed the rads.
Well, it's not like this is it? This indicates there are crash structure wings separate to the sidepod, which they are not.

So I guess he nearly nailed it.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

beelsebob
beelsebob

Your ferrari scaling is well off.

Raptor22
Raptor22

beelsebob wrote:
5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits, both of which must be rearward facing tailpipes, through which all exhaust gases must pass.

5.8.3 The last 100mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin‐walled unobstructed right circular cylinder whose internal diameter is no greater than 75mm with its axis at +/‐10° to the car centre line when viewed from above the car and between +10° and +30° (tail‐up) to the reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Be located between 250mm and 600mm above the reference plane.
c) Be located between 200mm and 500mm from the car centre line.
d) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie 500mm and 1200mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.

5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a right circular truncated cone which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel centre line.
Furthermore, there must be a view from above, the side, or any intermediate angle perpendicular to the car centre line, from which the truncated cone is not obscured by any bodywork lying more than 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
thanks

CHT
CHT

It is possible that the side-pods are designed to divert air the rear wheels and a separate air cooling inlet for the gearbox at the fin

Flanker27
Flanker27

thisyear they have "normal" front wheels, and from OZ instead of BBS

Raptor22
Raptor22

horse wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Uh the wings are most certainly there, although smaller than he envisioned. Looks like they could create a vortex to feed the rads.
Well, it's not like this is it? This indicates there are crash structure wings separate to the sidepod, which they are not.

So I guess he nearly nailed it.
that was drawn from verbal discriptions given to Piola

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

scarlet
scarlet

scarlet wrote:
Redragon wrote: Come on guys, let's focus. What do you think about my theory of two exhausts?
Not two engine exausts, that's illegal. There's no reason why they can't blow the ducts just with hot air from the radiators though. The extra bodywork required for exhaust mounting might make this viable. No way to confirm until testing though!
As I thought, scarbs confirmed the cooling is there too:

ScarbsF1 Craig Scarborough
#F12 Exhausts and cooling outlets (by Acer logo) merged into a chimney exit around the brake ducts and suspension yfrog.com/odcwwoej

Vasco

zoro_f1 wrote:FIA must change the rules. is this an F1 car?

Front wing end plates are really plain in comparison to some of the other cars. Did they use this front wing last year also?

Tyler
Tyler

Redragon wrote:
Redragon wrote:
Redragon wrote:http://jorgelizalde.co.uk/ferrrari/Scre ... 30.532.png

In this picture which i made it brighter with photoshop, you can see and I have marked the direction of the exhaust pointing

I think there are two flows, the exhaust pointing down and center. And hot air from the sidepots pointing break ducts
Come on guys, let's focus. What do you think about my theory of two exhausts?
I was thinking the same thing, I think.
That those are not the exhausts but the exits for the sidepods.
I would have said that that angle wouldn't be legal for exhausts.

Could they be blowing the brake ducts with the air exiting the sidepods?
That way they could gain extra downforce but it wouldn't have as strong effect as exhausts blowing onto them which could cause problems when the driver is off throttle and cause a sudden loss of downforce in the corners.

Maybe they could blow the brake ducts with air exiting the sidepods and blow somewhere like the rear wing for a double whammy of downforce?

Having said that though, I just came up with a thought, if they were to blow any part of the car with air exiting the side pods, wouldn't it be more beneficial to blow the outside of the diffusor or perhaps that's too far back?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Vasco wrote:Front wing end plates are really plain in comparison to some of the other cars. Did they use this front wing last year also?
FW for launching is usually old, so wait until Jerez or maybe even Bcn for new version and other updates.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

balalev
balalev

beelsebob wrote:Image

Your ferrari scaling is well off.
photos from different angles. sry