Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:It's clear to me.
I believe the question is: Can a team change chassis after the races/season start.

But again, thanks for the effort.

Brian

Hush
Hush

hardingfv32 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:It's clear to me.
I believe the question is: Can a team change chassis after the races/season start.

But again, thanks for the effort.

Brian
Yes they can. Toro Rosso are planning to.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

bhallg2k wrote: If you can find it
No need, just general interest on my part. It would never be in my budget to use such data gathering.

Brian

f@natic

General question regarding exhaust exits,please just redirect me if it has been discussed before.

Is it allowed in the current regulations to have exit guide vanes inside the exhaust just ahead of the exhaust exit?These would not be movable aero devices but would help move the exhaust gases in a wanted direction.especially if you wanted to deflect them downwards.

beelsebob
beelsebob

f@natic wrote:General question regarding exhaust exits,please just redirect me if it has been discussed before.

Is it allowed in the current regulations to have exit guide vanes inside the exhaust just ahead of the exhaust exit?These would not be movable aero devices but would help move the exhaust gases in a wanted direction.especially if you wanted to deflect them downwards.
No – the last 100mm must be a perfect cylinder with nothing inside it.

f@natic

beelsebob wrote:
f@natic wrote:General question regarding exhaust exits,please just redirect me if it has been discussed before.

No – the last 100mm must be a perfect cylinder with nothing inside it.

Thank you.

Mr.G

I change the topic a little bit - is there any restriction which control usage of some chemic applied on the tires by teams?

Question is - if you came to pit stop, could you use some chemistry to soften the top layer of the tire? Some acid to etch it or something to make the tires more sticky and get some advantage in the pit out lap?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mr.G

I found this, I know it's presented as Mercedes inovation, but in the video is F. Alonso on Ferrari :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9cFis5 ... e=youtu.be

delete, if repost.

EDIT - I read somewhere the duct in nose tip must be only for driver cooling, so this should be ilegal then?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

simieski
simieski

Mr.G wrote:I change the topic a little bit - is there any restriction which control usage of some chemic applied on the tires by teams?

Question is - if you came to pit stop, could you use some chemistry to soften the top layer of the tire? Some acid to etch it or something to make the tires more sticky and get some advantage in the pit out lap?
12.5.1 All tyres must be used as supplied by the manufacturer, any modification or treatment such as cutting, grooving, the application of solvents or softeners is prohibited. This applies to dry, intermediate and wet-weather tyres.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Mr.G wrote:I found this, I know it's presented as Mercedes inovation, but in the video is F. Alonso on Ferrari :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9cFis5 ... e=youtu.be

delete, if repost.

EDIT - I read somewhere the duct in nose tip must be only for driver cooling, so this should be ilegal then?
Not sure I'd fancy eau rouge with a full tank with this running.

MIKEY_!

Yes that's illegal. You'd have to tune it back a lot for Spa, it'd still be OK on the main straights though.

Holm86

Why is that illegal? Theres no moving aero neither any driver control.

EDIT:

What i dont understand is why would you blow the left side of the wing in a left turn?? Wouldnt you want downforce over the intire wing during corners??

shelly
shelly

There a a lot of rumors floating between twitter and some forums about a new floor for f2012 conceived by byrne, which is due to debut on track on the 2nd barcelona test (1st march iirc) and it is supposed to exploit some "holes" (i do not know if they are geometrical holes or rule loopholes).

My opinion is those rumors are well founded. I think this floor will have some cutouts like we have seen on mclaren in the past, and will be designed to interact with exhausts, but at the moment I have not thought of anything more specific.

What do you think we will see on f2012 come 11 days?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Holm86

I dont know how to draw it. But could there be a hole in the floor in the area between the rear wheels and the cokebottle shape. It would then have a small slit going out to the side edge of the floor so it isnt a direct hole in the floor which i believe is illegal.

Then there would be some bodywork with a venturi'ish shape forcing air down in this hole to feed the diffuser.

Could that be legal??

Its a little hard to explain but dont know how to draw it.

Holm86

Holm86 wrote:I dont know how to draw it. But could there be a hole in the floor in the area between the rear wheels and the cokebottle shape. It would then have a small slit going out to the side edge of the floor so it isnt a direct hole in the floor which i believe is illegal.

Then there would be some bodywork with a venturi'ish shape forcing air down in this hole to feed the diffuser.

Could that be legal??

Its a little hard to explain but dont know how to draw it.

It could even be the hot air from the sidepods going in to this "hole"?