Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Diff-user
Diff-user

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Hey! long time lurker newbie here..... I think there is an alternate solution to this...... instead of placing the slot (i mean slit-that-one-can't-pass-a-piece-of-paper-through) in front of the rear wheel, can't it be placed beside the tyre (on the inside) ahead of the wheel hub..... in that case the tyre wall will seal the slit on one side making it a slot that is just a slit on the floor..... just a doubt.... would appreciate if somebody clarifies this
money makes the cars go round
engines are there just for the sound
V10.......V8.......V6....... V none
And that's the story of Formula 1

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Because at that point they are trying to extract air from the diffuser and seal it (which is what the EBD and the little wheel winglets try to do). Infront of the wheel is where tyre squirt needs to be controlled.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Diff-user wrote:Hey! long time lurker newbie here..... I think there is an alternate solution to this...... instead of placing the slot (i mean slit-that-one-can't-pass-a-piece-of-paper-through) in front of the rear wheel, can't it be placed beside the tyre (on the inside) ahead of the wheel hub..... in that case the tyre wall will seal the slit on one side making it a slot that is just a slit on the floor..... just a doubt.... would appreciate if somebody clarifies this
Because of the regulations they aren't allowed any discontinuous surfaces in the step plane apart from at that last 50 mm. This is the rule that was implemented to initially stop open ended EBD.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Diff-user
Diff-user

Robbobnob wrote:
Diff-user wrote:Hey! long time lurker newbie here..... I think there is an alternate solution to this...... instead of placing the slot (i mean slit-that-one-can't-pass-a-piece-of-paper-through) in front of the rear wheel, can't it be placed beside the tyre (on the inside) ahead of the wheel hub..... in that case the tyre wall will seal the slit on one side making it a slot that is just a slit on the floor..... just a doubt.... would appreciate if somebody clarifies this
Because of the regulations they aren't allowed any discontinuous surfaces in the step plane apart from at that last 50 mm. This is the rule that was implemented to initially stop open ended EBD.
Oh damn!..... well so much for an "alternate solution"....though i couldn't really see anything that set RB8 apart from rest of the front runners in the last six GPs (though the constructors points table says otherwise).... it'd interesting to see how the car performs this weekend with a "legal" floor....

Gridlock

Dr Marko:
"We had not planned to use this floor in Montreal anyway," Marko said. "We had prepared a different configuration using a flat version of the floor. Therefore we do not need to modify the cars in Canada."

Neno
Neno

Gridlock wrote:Dr Marko:
"We had not planned to use this floor in Montreal anyway," Marko said. "We had prepared a different configuration using a flat version of the floor. Therefore we do not need to modify the cars in Canada."
only cheaters can prepare in advance floor configuration, this can only be because they knew what will happend =D>

This is not an insult but a compliment

Gridlock

You need to work on your compliments...

Diff-user
Diff-user

Neno wrote:
only cheaters can prepare in advance floor configuration, this can only be because they knew what will happend =D>

I think it has something to do with the nature of the circuit too.... its low downforce not because the engineers don't want downforce but because they want lesser drag.... so cleaner the body and the floor lesser the drag... so may be they planned it all along....

Neno
Neno

Gridlock wrote:You need to work on your compliments...
why, good teams always had some illegal stuff on their cars, but when others start complaining they remove them, like nothing ever happend. even if they won a race on that configuration, that don't matter. they will try something new, and same process will continue. if they can continue till end of championship season in this stuff they will be champions, unlike mclaren and other who complaining...

Neno
Neno

Gridlock wrote:You need to work on your compliments...
why, good teams always had some illegal stuff on their cars, but when others start complaining they remove them, like nothing ever happend. even if they won a race on that configuration, that don't matter. they will try something new, and same process will continue. if they can continue till end of championship season in this stuff they will be champions, unlike mclaren and other who complaining...

joeyg02

Neno wrote:

lmao =D> =D>
Drafting & Design Engineer - I crave information & live in a never ending quest for answers to whatever piques my curiosity.

Joey Griffin - Owner - JG GraphX.
Lifelong Motorsport Fan from Southern Georgia, United States.

wrcsti
wrcsti

Neno wrote:

its not cheating if it isnt illegal when done. Thats like arresting someone having done 50 in what was a 50 zone but is now a 30 zone

joeyg02

its not cheating if it isnt illegal when done. Thats like arresting someone having done 50 in what was a 50 zone but is now a 30 zone.

All he is saying is that red bull MOST LIKELY went ahead and designed a new floor because they knew their old floor didn't have a good chance of being legal after the hearing.
Drafting & Design Engineer - I crave information & live in a never ending quest for answers to whatever piques my curiosity.

Joey Griffin - Owner - JG GraphX.
Lifelong Motorsport Fan from Southern Georgia, United States.

Neno
Neno

Gridlock wrote: its not cheating if it isnt illegal when done. Thats like arresting someone having done 50 in what was a 50 zone but is now a 30 zone
if they wanted from beginning that zone would be 30. this is like you driving 150 in village, but there is no sign and you think you can do whatever you want, even if you knew that 30 is limit #-o

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

First reports from Montreal are that RB still have the holes on the floor but with small gaps like Ferrari & Sauber.