Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Suspension has to be neutral anyway so I'm not sure what it would do. Don't forget that fast air flow under there isn't the same as forced exhaust gas. I'd imagine the exhaust is of higher pressure.

They have had flow-vis on that wishbone the other day as well though.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 09 Feb 2012, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bhall
bhall

Oh, I'm sure it has something to do with directing exhaust gasses. There's no other reason to put the two so close together, and such an effect is clearly aerodynamic.

I'm not saying it's an open and shut case. But, I think a good case against it could be made nonetheless.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here are a couple of the nose up close. right click>view image

If you play with the lighting, this may reveal what we want to see.

Intego

deleted
Last edited by Intego on 09 Feb 2012, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

:lol:
Last edited by Adrian Newby on 16 Feb 2012, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Newby wrote:And an "air dam" is the last thing he would want in that already narrowed area between the front tires (an air dam, and the air being redirected by it, wouldn't just go upward, but also outward).
Adrian Newby wrote:I have also noticed that none of the teams have created humps which are rounded on the sides, even though that would create less drag. This is more proof to me that they want as little air as possible pushing out from the top. Newey even built fences on either side of his ramp/intake to keep it from happening.
For the air dam theory, the fences would be what stops the air also pushing outwards....

If they're just using the slot to bleed off air pressure at the hump, hen it would be simpler to splurge it off to the sides, which is why were all interested in it.

My guess is it's either
- an air dam creating a virtual smooth nose
- reducing he work done/ turbulence at the windscreen/drivers head buy cutting out the the laminar flow (I think that's the right term) from the nose before the hump( but what do you do with that air?)
- the air is being useful routed e.g. as someone suggested to create positive pressure in the cockpit.

edit: looking at the naked bulkhead, the air can only go down if anywhere....?

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Intego wrote:deleted
Don't those four holes lead into the cockpit?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Adrian Newby wrote:
I believe they're the mounting points for the front wing and nosecone assembly unless I'm mistaken?

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Adrian Newby wrote:And an "air dam" is the last thing he would want in that already narrowed area between the front tires (an air dam, and the air being redirected by it, wouldn't just go upward, but also outward).
Adrian Newby wrote:I have also noticed that none of the teams have created humps which are rounded on the sides, even though that would create less drag. This is more proof to me that they want as little air as possible pushing out from the top. Newey even built fences on either side of his ramp/intake to keep it from happening.
For the air dam theory, the fences would be what stops the air also pushing outwards....

If they're just using the slot to bleed off air pressure at the hump, hen it would be simpler to splurge it off to the sides, which is why were all interested in it.

My guess is it's either
- an air dam creating a virtual smooth nose
- reducing he work done/ turbulence at the windscreen/drivers head buy cutting out the the laminar flow (I think that's the right term) from the nose before the hump( but what do you do with that air?)
- the air is being useful routed e.g. as someone suggested to create positive pressure in the cockpit.

edit: looking at the naked bulkhead, the air can only go down if anywhere....?
You don't want air splurging off the sides. And if the air dam didn't extend forward of the ramp area then what's the point of it?

Intego

Adrian Newby wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those holes are to hold the nose itself. I deleted my post because it must be a last years picture. I'm searching for proof.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Image
This appears to be a different chassis than the hump/intake models. Where is the upper radius for the intake? That part looks to be built into the chassis.

bhall
bhall

Those hole are to attach the nose, and that picture of the exposed bulkhead is from last year. Check the color order of the stripes on the side.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:Those hole are to attach the nose, and that picture of the exposed bulkhead is from last year. Check the color order of the stripes on the side.
Good catch on the stripes. I am guessing the lower intake we see there is much the same this year as last.

volarchico
volarchico

Shafto wrote: ...........................|------|
...........................| \/.\/ |
=======_===|.........|
...................\_....| \/..\/ |
.....................\_..|.........|
.........................\| \/..\/ |
...........................|........|
...........................|____|

= main support

-\ lower support

| \/\/ | tire

......... nevermind
I don't know enough about suspension design to comment on your thoughts technically, but I applaud your effort at creating a drawing even without the use of MSPaint! =D>