Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Intego

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Thanks Kiril, here's the Link:
Red Bull and the controversial front wing – The FIA sees no problem

Cremonesi couldn't resist to add
The fact remains that in the course of the season there were many suspicions surrounding Red Bull mischief and not all of them were without foundation.
Yet a car is illegal when the FIA or stewards say it was ... :roll:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

beelsebob
beelsebob

Okay so the nose *is* soft and rubberised, and plausible does have the effects discussed above. I wonder how long before the other teams have a rubbery nose cone.

vall
vall

but what about the video of Webber's car when the whole nose cone +the FW was oscillating like hell? Some suspect it serves as mass dumber. This is surely not allowed, but FIA does not seem to test for this kind of flexibility....

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

I've got this feeling that the RBR will introduce the passive DRD system in Austin. =D>
All the fears will come true to the opposition
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 54314.html...

f1316
f1316

dxpetrov wrote:I've got this feeling that the RBR will introduce the passive DRD system in Austin. =D>
I think this is for next year when Red Bull's current DDRS system will be illegal; there's no point them messing about with a new, hard to calibrate, system whilst they've already got one that works well and is legal. What they're trying to do with this test is avoid losing that advantage next year.

Also, it's my understanding that the implementation of the mass damper in 2005/6 was illegal, but something that functions as a mass damper is not necessarily illegal, depending on how it is implemented. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, at some stage, a new test was introduced that aimed to remove the possiblity of this kind of nose, but the article in La Gazzetta would indicate otherwise...for now...

adam2003
adam2003

Are they outlawing the ddrs? i swear i heard lotus say no point carrying on as cant carry it on into next year. have i missed something? thanks

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

f1316 wrote:
dxpetrov wrote:I've got this feeling that the RBR will introduce the passive DRD system in Austin. =D>
I think this is for next year when Red Bull's current DDRS system will be illegal; there's no point them messing about with a new, hard to calibrate, system whilst they've already got one that works well and is legal. What they're trying to do with this test is avoid losing that advantage next year.

Also, it's my understanding that the implementation of the mass damper in 2005/6 was illegal, but something that functions as a mass damper is not necessarily illegal, depending on how it is implemented. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, at some stage, a new test was introduced that aimed to remove the possiblity of this kind of nose, but the article in La Gazzetta would indicate otherwise...for now...
I know, it seems logical it's for next year, but somehow i am not convinced. it would've been properly calibrated in the winter testing, anyways, don't you think...
Whilst everyone is messing around and experimenting, this team just deliver. So it will be a no surprise that actually they bring DRD in next race. I understand this Abu Dhabi testing big teams massively used to prepare for the end of this season, not next... We shall see soon enough.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

adam2003 wrote:Are they outlawing the ddrs? i swear i heard lotus say no point carrying on as cant carry it on into next year. have i missed something? thanks
Double DRS (DDRS) - Is banned (This is the type found on the W03 to stall the front wing and RB8 to stall the beam wing) Secondary usage of the flap to enclose or uncover other ducts aren't allowed, furthermore the FIA has included a ban on ducts passing through the Bulkhead to the Nosecone eliminating the Mercedes type further)

DRD (Drag Reduction Device) First seen on the Lotus, a variant cropping up on the Mercedes at Spa and now Sauber & Red Bull have tested them in Abu Dhabi at the YDT. These devices are passive and so are not included in the ban. They utilise the 15cm central exclusion zone presenting the pylon under the Rear Wing. I wrote a piece on the Lotus/Merc ones a while back: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/ ... ction.html
Interestingly Toro Rosso mounted a twin element component on top of their 'Gorilla' Seat on day 3 of the test and although it wasn't ducted I think the team may have been assessing the impact on other components when using a twin element DRD. If theirs was a look into DRD it brings into question how much of the Wing will these devices be able to stall and with 2 inlets/outlets will it help in yaw?
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

adam2003
adam2003

Thanks matt for clearing that up would give u a +1 but wont let me vote lol

elf341
elf341

the twin element DDRS incorporated into the monkey seat is incredibly innovative. I can see that James Key is already starting to make his mark.

shelly
shelly

@Intego. thanks a lot for the pictures and link. I remeberd another collision for DC with 10-15 laps ot go at the chichane, I will check
twitter: @armchair_aero

The Moderator

Q: why Red Bull didn't use new engine for Vetel in Abu Dhabi ?!! they can do it without any penalty?

explain please ??

AnthonyG

He's allready at his eight engine I think.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

triart3d
triart3d

The Moderator wrote:Q: why Red Bull didn't use new engine for Vetel in Abu Dhabi ?!! they can do it without any penalty?

explain please ??
Engine nº8, used in india and qualy.
If RB install a new engine, the nº9, then
"e) If an engine is changed in accordance with Article 34.1 (parc fermé) the engine which was replaced may not be used during any future qualifying session or race with the exception of the last Event of the Championship"
So engine number 8, only will be used in Brazil.

IND (n 8.1) ABD (n 9.1) USA (N 9.2) BRZ ( n 8.2)
But Brazil is at high altitude.
Vettel can be retired on Abu Dhabi.. and damage a new engine.

Redbull may opted for other option:
conservative: IND (n 8.1) ABD (n 8.2) USA (N 8.3) and BRZ ( n 9.1) (pole an 10 places for a new engine?)

Normal: IND (n 8.1) ABD (n 8.2) USA (N 9.1) and BRZ ( n 8.3) (championship decided)
OR
defensive: IND (n 8.1) ABD (n 8.2) USA (N 9.1) and BRZ ( n 9.2) (championship to decide on last race)

Ferrari..
IND (n 7.3) ABD (n 8.1) USA (N8.2) BRZ ( n5.1 - Spa engine, not used in race.. )

jtc127
jtc127

Interesting picture here...old BAR honda. Impact attenuator inside the shell?