Fussells Radio Control F1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
elFranZ

Re: Fussells Radio Control F1 car

fussell wrote:Hi elFranZ,

I've had a look at a 3racing FGX - looks awesome. I don't really have any suggestions sorry, I know I'm gonna have the same problem with my car, as I'm running a 9T motor too. I hoping my 2008 spec diffuser will help.
Let me know if it works, I was just thinking about some aero fix to get the thing well down :)

bcoxa
bcoxa

flynfrog wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Id love to see what someone could come up with in a F1 designed car that had this petrol engine;

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/radio-contro ... t9606.html

Or take a Nitro RC car and then take the internals out of it, and place them into a F1 designed body with a DRS flap to simulate realness. Im thinlking about making a more or less exact 1:8 replica or 1:6 replica that would be arround 80 kilos and have everything more or less in the same areas as a propper F1 car.

It would be fun to see what could be done.
I dont see whats to great about that motor? There are companies that make 1/4 scale F1 rc cars with disk brakes ect.
Yep like FG!

http://tinyurl.com/6togljr
I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

fussell

I've never dabbled with a petrol or nitro car, I've just stuck to 1/10th scale. I think to package an engine and maintain an F1 style car you would need to go to a bigger scale. It would be awesome though.

Check this car out I think it uses go-kart wheels/tyres.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJdxchws ... re=related[/youtube]

As for the DRS, I initially intended to implement a DRS function, I've bought a servo to operate it and designed the linkage mechanism, the rearwing flap pivots at the rear edge, but currently I don't think I can fit the servo in the car. It's all pretty tight within the sidepods, I'll need to run the car first and see how hot it gets before deciding. There is space.

bcoxa
bcoxa

Yeah I think most of the Nitro/Petrol F1 RC cars are 1/5th scale, maybe there are some 1/8th.

Not the best video, but looks fun!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QBVFwEHs8k[/youtube]

Not F1, but bloody impressive!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUMDY01uUA[/youtube]
I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

fussell

Hi Guys, progress has been a bit slow on the model recently - been having trouble with my actually car :roll:

I've assemblied the car after leaving it to fully dry and harden for a few days. I really pleased with the way the project is coming together. I need now to paint the mirrors and sidepod pylons, - and order more M1 bolts! Once all the modeling is complete I will then start the produce the templates for the decals, which will be fun :wtf:

Also not 100% decided on livery yet! Any suggestions/Ideas?

Does anyone know of any model making or model design jobs going? I'd love to have a career in this sort of thing?

N12ck

fussell wrote:Hi Guys, progress has been a bit slow on the model recently - been having trouble with my actually car :roll:

I've assemblied the car after leaving it to fully dry and harden for a few days. I really pleased with the way the project is coming together. I need now to paint the mirrors and sidepod pylons, - and order more M1 bolts! Once all the modeling is complete I will then start the produce the templates for the decals, which will be fun :wtf:

Also not 100% decided on livery yet! Any suggestions/Ideas?

Does anyone know of any model making or model design jobs going? I'd love to have a career in this sort of thing?
Brawn GP livery, but change Brawn for 'Fussel' so it would be the fluorecent yellow/black/ white, but 'Fussel GP'
Budding F1 Engineer

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Excellent work Fussel! And I agree with going with a BrawnGP style livery, it would look very clean and "tasteful". And if it's not too much to ask, perhaps an F1T logo somewhere in there as well? :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

N12ck

mx_tifoso wrote:Excellent work Fussel! And I agree with going with a BrawnGP style livery, it would look very clean and "tasteful". And if it's not too much to ask, perhaps an F1T logo somewhere in there as well? :)
f1t, could be placed where the virgin logo would be!
Budding F1 Engineer

fussell

I like the idea of having the BrawnGP livery, I think I would change the black and yellow maybe to light blue and a dark grey. I've painted the top surface of the undertray now, and black seems really harsh against the white. I need to get the images up on here. It doesn't really matter though as it will be wrapped in fake carbon fibre.

I had a go at making the templates for the decals - just because I couldn't wait. Umm it's more time consuming than I imagined to acheive the correct shapes for the surfaces. :cry:

Any jobs about in the model making sector? ... anyone [-o<

elFranZ

fussell wrote:Any jobs about in the model making sector? ... anyone [-o<
Keep an eye here...
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Jobs-at-Kyosho_ep_4-1.html
now it looks like there are no open positions, but nothing prevents you from sending a CV ;)

Oh, and obviously GREAT JOB, very neat and clean. I really like the middle section, it's just perfect :D

fussell

Hi All, been a while since I've posted updates. I've been away on holiday.

So I've played around while vinyl wrap on the top surface of the undertray but it didn't work out so good so I've painted it. I've said before that I intend to wrap the carbonfibre surfaces in printed decal paper, but I'm not sure I'll do this now.

Again I sanded back the top part of the monocoque and engine cover with 1200grit and painted it again :roll: It just wasn't completely prefect and bugged me.

Other than the cosmetics and livery the car is ready to run! and the lipos have been ordered. I have designed new front hub carriers/uprights to replace the standard tamiya components. These have the 'drum' style of the F1 cars, just waiting to get them machines.

The next update I hope will be a video of the car!!!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Fantastic! I can't wait to see it running for the first time and then all liveried up.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

fussell

Hi Guys,

I've been slacking lately on this project :roll: I promised a video for my next update but due to the weather today I haven't been able to run. The car is ready! :)

A few small things left to do, cameras, front uprights, and rain light.

Here are a few images. I've decided on the livery just not applied it to the car let. Hope to get a video up this week!

Paul

That should look awesome!

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Top one.