Fussells Radio Control F1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
fussell

Re: Fussells Radio Control F1 car

Car ready to run, just waiting for the weather......

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

That is completely brilliant i envy your talent looking forward to the video!! :)
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

elFranZ

Man, chapeau.
The front and sidepods are just amazing. If you'll ever go to a track, your car will be the queen for sure.
Leave it white, I'm loving it :D

fussell

So I promised I video, but unfortunately I still haven't done one....well :?

First run in a supermarket carpark, I pushed the accelerator and after about 5 secs the car came to a stop :oops: The bevelled gear that transfers the power to the slip-diff had worn down!

Basically the gears weren't meshing tightly enough, so a quick fix with a bit of resin, dremelling and a new gear. I had the car running again. It's rapid :D Handles quite good :) ...for about 5mins until I crashed it :wtf: All of which I didn't catch on camera!

So the car is out of action :roll: I was running quite close to a 'trolley hut' braked, spun around and slide backwards into a small hump that stops trolleys rolling out. Driver error! :?

Apart from the crash, I'm really pleased with the car. It's quick. It doesn't have much damage, it can be fixed quite easily. I'm glad the gear fix worked, and the lipos produce more than enough power. When I get it running next time I'll try to get it on camera!

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

All part of testing! Still amazing.

RicME85

You will want to make spares for vulnerable parts and roll up with a remote controlled HGV that has all the spares in :lol:

fussell

I did start to make a few spare parts, thought I'd damage the front of the car first :wtf:

N12ck

fussell wrote:I did start to make a few spare parts, thought I'd damage the front of the car first :wtf:
how did you make these?
Budding F1 Engineer

RicME85

Rapid Prototyping, he said earlier in the thread :)

fussell

Hi N12ck, they have been CNC machined. It's the same design as the SLA one, with a minor modification. I've taken out the winglets on the top surface as I was only machining the top and bottom planes. The end plates I can finish off with a dremel and I maybe make the winglets by hand.

elFranZ

I think the best part of your car is the rear end.
You made an astonishing job there, I've never seen a F1 rc car with the coke bottle zone, because they don't exist at all.

Now, tell the truth, is a 9T motor too much for it? On mine, YES :D, already crashed two front wings and a rear one, plus minor cracks, so I'm planning to switch to a "normal" 17.5 sensored, wich is the standard here to attend races. Believe me, another planet in terms of traction and corner exit.

Keep doing man!

fussell

Hey Guys

It's been a while :roll:

I've beefed up the rear gearbox, run it a few times and it's working nicely. Gears are meshing and it doesn't explode at high speed - like the previous one :wtf: It just needs flushing into a streamline profile.

Still running with a plain livery, will sort this out sometime :|

Problem - theres been another crash :? it was wet - running slicks

elFranZ a 9t motor in a 0.5-1 kg rear wheel drive car is stupid :D

Aussie
Aussie

You've gotta be a bit stupid in an F1 Car :P . How long will it take you to repair the rear end damage??

fussell

I'll hopefully get it repaired, and reinforced over christmas sometime. Also I'll try and get the video I promised on here :wink:

Aussie
Aussie

Awesome, you're frieking mad