Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Predator

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

So far, definitely a new FW and looks like the FW pylons are more outboard/sit further apart. Exhaust also looks slightly revised.

Edit: it must have been a different front-end that I saw, as it was only a quick glance and I haven't seen anything similar on the Merc again, so apologies. I could've sworn I saw Rosberg with it but oh well...

Raptor22
Raptor22

hardingfv32 wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:Sauber is already bringing very visible exhaust updates to China, and they already had the most advanced layout. Mercedes with a bad one, doesn't seen to be working on it. Afterall, they also have tire wear issues to steal their attention.
You could just as well concur that Sauber has it wrong because they continue to adjust their exhaust system. Mercedes is faster so their exhaust must be better. You really have no clue to the exhaust system performance.

Brian

Do you have anything other than bashing and breaking down a discussion? If not, find something else to do with your time please.

myurr
myurr

He makes a point though. Artur's post was speculation and hyperbole.

Mercedes has tyre wear issues to get on top of, and when they do they'll be a front running team. Sauber have qualifying issues to get on top of, and when they do they could be a front running team (although I believe they'll have to sacrifice their current trump card, tyre wear, to improve significantly in qualifying).

And is the Sauber exhaust really the most advanced layout on the grid!? I'd argue that McLaren's solution was better in that it achieves the same effect with less bodywork and a much better coke bottle shape.

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Well Brian is actually right.

In fact we are all just guessing which exhaust System is more effective, no one of us has any figures. So saying that the W03 solution is worse than the one from C31 is just plain speculation.

All we know for sure is that the W03 quali pace is better than C31. Due to the early retirement of Michael in Oz and the crazy weather conditions in Malaysia nobody knows the real racepace of Michael & W03 up to now.

Raptor22
Raptor22

myurr wrote:He makes a point though. Artur's post was speculation and hyperbole.

Mercedes has tyre wear issues to get on top of, and when they do they'll be a front running team. Sauber have qualifying issues to get on top of, and when they do they could be a front running team (although I believe they'll have to sacrifice their current trump card, tyre wear, to improve significantly in qualifying).

And is the Sauber exhaust really the most advanced layout on the grid!? I'd argue that McLaren's solution was better in that it achieves the same effect with less bodywork and a much better coke bottle shape.
Everything we talk about starts out as speculation. Until its either confirmed by the team or by someone with a CFD program. It's the way Brian goes about his involvement that's more than tiresome (or should I say tyresome to keep it on topic...?)
If we were to talk about facts only there would be no discussion:

I'm off to watch prac 2. Will report some observations later

myurr
myurr

Raptor22 wrote:Everything we talk about starts out as speculation.
I have no problem with that, but simply stating that Sauber's exhaust is the most advanced is not very helpful. Why is it the most advanced? What real world effect is demonstrating that fact? What are we seeing in the lap times that supports this?

By stating it as fact and without backing it up it's not speculation it's hyperbole.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mercedes W03 is still suffering high tyre degradation, according to BBC pitlane reporter Jenny Dowd.

Saying that, I'm still hopeful of a strong weekend showing for Mercedes. Their 3rd sector times are impressive.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

It should be considering they have the duct. I'd suspect they'd be quick in S1 too. The pit straight is of decent length, and the run from the exit of 3 all the way through to the hairpin of 6 is also quite a quick straight.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mestrades
Mestrades

Where I can get the time/lap of today? Someone can tell us how are the race sim?

raymondu999

The session is still on - so you can still hop onto F1.com and open up their live timing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Mercedes W03 is still suffering high tyre degradation, according to BBC pitlane reporter Jenny Dowd.

Saying that, I'm still hopeful of a strong weekend showing for Mercedes. Their 3rd sector times are impressive.
The Merc seems still to be eating his tyres. It is uncomfortably cold here and Merc may be one more time unprepared for the tyre window.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

VarioR

The car looks exactly the same to me.

Does anyone notice any difference or new parts?

Just look at the tyres...

Probably one more race to forget..
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

aduka11
aduka11

Its quite cold in China, why would they need this?

Blackout

New diffuser with split gurney (top) + new vertical gurney like fins on the rear wheels + new horizontal wheel fins