Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhantomPoster
PhantomPoster

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

How could they flex where they're mounted?

godlameroso

Take that one step further and perhaps they allow themselves to use more front wing and even without DRS open they still bleed front downforce. This gives them the advantage of having more medium speed grip without giving them too much oversteer on higher speed turns(as more front wing DF is bled). Tricky to tune but could definitely prove an advantage during the regular race.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

If you pour a bit of mercury down those DDRS pipes... 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dren

Nico looked to adjust the brake bias and then something on the side closer to him. I couldnt tell what that was. I hope the tires dont fall apart tomorrow.
Last edited by dren on 14 Apr 2012, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

Please remember that if your comment is not about a feature on the car then it does not belong in this thread.

Posts about Rosberg, the weather, sector times and so on have been moved to the race thread :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12070&view=unread#unread

WhiteBlue

Morteza wrote:From the picture above, did their DRS system really helped them in qualifying? I mean they are in the middle of speed trap!
Logic tells me that they have piled on a lot of downforce which will help them through the corners. Nevertheless they show respectable speed on the straights. Sure the Saubers are much faster, but they will loose some more in the corners. I think the DDRS is a very valuable development for Merc and it will take some time for other teams to integrate the ducts into their design.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Giblet wrote:I've been wondering to myself how good the sealing is on the ddrs holes in the rear, and if a bit of controlled flexing in the rear wing could have them open a bit more at speed.

Now I'm wondering here as well.
The high(er) pressure on the outside of the plate will tend hold it against the hole.

clipsy1H

Like i said!! it's a Championship car!! today Merc could be with 2 cars on podium .... they fix tyers so maybe but maybe they can fight for Championship with McLaren.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

The tyres looked a lot better today. They actually managed a two stop. But they didn't really seem like they were expecting to win before the race. Was it sandbagging or really good race setup? I mean Jenson was unlucky and might have posed a threat but Nico was looking for a solid second place finish regardless.

I felt the tyres weren't looking destroyed either but I didn't get a really good look. Pics posted will tell if i'm right. They definately hit the sweet spot at any rate. Finally we can tell what the Merc is capable of.

The smile on Nico's face before the race was a bit of a hint but I thought it was just due to the pole. Michael looked quite happy too... though off late he always has a smile on.

lillschumi
lillschumi

What impressed me was the pace right in the start with full fuel. Didn´t think they had that but they surely have fixed something, hats off.

Also im beginning to wonder if the ever more importance of aero is making it a lot harder running behind cars=tyres go off quickly.

Mestrades
Mestrades

YES YES AND YES! What a pitty the Michael end but what a victory of Rosberg. First race in good conditions and clearly, that car is a Championship candidate. I think that Michael will has this chance too, China is the favorite track of Rosberg however, Michael hates it. So I think that throughout the championship this situation will be reversed. I wonder if in the final races we will miss the points of the 2 first gps.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Mestrades wrote:YES YES AND YES! What a pitty the Michael end but what a victory of Rosberg. First race in good conditions and clearly, that car is a Championship candidate. I think that Michael will has this chance too, China is the favorite track of Rosberg however, Michael hates it. So I think that throughout the championship this situation will be reversed. I wonder if in the final races we will miss the points of the 2 first gps.
I'm glad you're happy about this. Off late you've been very negative about the team. :) But as you can see a little patience and a lot of hard work can make a difference.

Darknight
Darknight

A few posts back i wrote wondering if Merc was waiting for the FIA to finally issue their verdict before using the DDRS system. Its clear to me that the car is fast, maybe not the fastest but can win races for sure.

I think a statement will now come out from Merc saying that they "resolved" their tire issues. When in reality they just switched the DDRS system on.

kris
kris

Darknight wrote:A few posts back i wrote wondering if Merc was waiting for the FIA to finally issue their verdict before using the DDRS system. Its clear to me that the car is fast, maybe not the fastest but can win races for sure.

I think a statement will now come out from Merc saying that they "resolved" their tire issues. When in reality they just switched the DDRS system on.
For most of the time Nico was in the lead and I dont think Nico overtook many, so what help could he have got from the DDRS?
Were you referring to the Quali? They were always quick in it.

Mestrades
Mestrades

Maelstrom wrote:
I'm glad you're happy about this. Off late you've been very negative about the team. :) But as you can see a little patience and a lot of hard work can make a difference.
For sure, they've silence my mouth and I'm very happy of this. They have achieved it finally!