Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Something I haven't seen mentioned about the W03 & the DDRS is the fact it allows them to run a lower ride height than other teams. Yes ride heights are controlled by the FIA, however we all know different teams do different things. Ride heights are generally set at the end of the straight so the plank doesn't get worn out because that's when the car has the maximum downforce. Mercedes is stalling the front wing, decreasing downforce thus they're able to run the car lower than other teams do and they're gaining downforce in the low speed corners.
Mercedes DDRS system is still giving Mercedes an advantage in the race as well because of fuel load & limited DRS, so you've got limited downforce anyway, so the lower ride height compared to others is still helping. People seem to have overlooked this when speaking of the system and thinking it only helps in Quali. Wrong. Ross is a very smart man.

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Something I haven't seen mentioned about the W03 & the DDRS is the fact it allows them to run a lower ride height than other teams. Yes ride heights are controlled by the FIA, however we all know different teams do different things. Ride heights are generally set at the end of the straight so the plank doesn't get worn out because that's when the car has the maximum downforce. Mercedes is stalling the front wing, decreasing downforce thus they're able to run the car lower than other teams do and they're gaining downforce in the low speed corners.
Mercedes DDRS system is still giving Mercedes an advantage in the race as well because of fuel load & limited DRS, so you've got limited downforce anyway, so the lower ride height compared to others is still helping. People seem to have overlooked this when speaking of the system and thinking it only helps in Quali. Wrong. Ross is a very smart man.
I totally agree with that the DDRS doesn't just benefit the team in qualifying because the team could just sacrifice some top speed for extra downforce as they did in China. Talking abut ride height I'm not too sure about that but it seems like Mercedes is running more rake compared to the others even the McLarens so I think you may be right

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

NonNewtonic wrote:
Talking abut ride height I'm not too sure about that but it seems like Mercedes is running more rake compared to the others even the McLarens so I think you may be right
Indeed they are running more rake. Here is the quote/s from Lotus's Alan Permane on the Mercedes W03 DDRS system.

via AutoSport

markc

and this is why I love F1, it's hardly ever about the direct impact of a device or system; it's all the things that aren't immediately obvious that really add the "fizz"! - A nicely thought out system indeed.

siskue2005

thats exactly what Scarbs posted when last year Merc brought passive front wing
The ride height can be lower than others

I still believe that they have a passive front wing + active rear and front wing
Which can be great help in races

WhiteBlue

Formula1.com:

This drawing shows Mercedes clever 'double DRS' system in its entirety. Air is sucked into holes in the rear wing endplates (left inset) which are exposed when the DRS system is activated. Using similar channelling (highlighted in yellow on car profile) - but in reverse - to that utilised two seasons ago for the now-illegal F-duct, the airflow is routed into the beam wing, across the top of the deformable rear crash structure, along the side of the engine and then through the chassis (centre inset) before it exits through the front-wing pillars to blow onto the front-wing flaps (right inset), stalling the wing, cutting drag and boosting top speed.
I think there can be little doubt how the system works if it is published on the official site.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ferraripilot

siskue2005 wrote:thats exactly what Scarbs posted when last year Merc brought passive front wing
The ride height can be lower than others

I still believe that they have a passive front wing + active rear and front wing
Which can be great help in races

Correct, Scarbs did indeed mention this is a benefit quite some time ago. Lower ride height can only be a benefit if W03 also has a passive system which runs just off the front nose cone hole. If the super-DRS system is only activated while DRS is activated then they obviously cannot set the ride height lower as the only time it can be used during a race is when passing, so it's business as usual as far as ride height is concerned unless we find out they have a passive system running as well.

volarchico
volarchico

WhiteBlue wrote: I think there can be little doubt how the system works if it is published on the official site.
They have posted technically incorrect information/speculation before. Not saying that it is wrong this time, just cautioning against trusting everything you read there.

dren

volarchico wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: I think there can be little doubt how the system works if it is published on the official site.
They have posted technically incorrect information/speculation before. Not saying that it is wrong this time, just cautioning against trusting everything you read there.
Yes, that is true. They likely have the piping correctly drawn, but how it all works may be a bit off. I am in the camp that believes there is a passive and active system at work.
Honda!

e30ernest
e30ernest

If they were indeed testing a passive system on the W02, then I find it hard to believe they aren't using something similar on the W03. Unless of course the passive system was a flop. Formula 1 designers tend to find it hard to unlearn what they have learned before.

Lycoming
Lycoming

volarchico wrote:
This is true.

But, until I see anything that suggests otherwise, I will take that explanation to be correct.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

WhiteBlue wrote:I think there can be little doubt how the system works if it is published on the official site.
You are making humor, right??

Brian

WhiteBlue

hardingfv32 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:I think there can be little doubt how the system works if it is published on the official site.
You are making humor, right??
Not really. But I'm not saying that there may be no additional tricks in the W03. An additional passive front wing stall system isn't necessarily the first thing I'm thinking about. I rather think they could be playing with inertial ride height systems.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

aral
aral

WhiteBlue wrote: Not really. But I'm not saying that there may be no additional tricks in the W03. An additional passive front wing stall system isn't necessarily the first thing I'm thinking about. I rather think they could be playing with inertial ride height systems.
Inertial ride height systems? Oh, do you mean SPRINGS? Anything else would be illegal, and i cannot see Merc being prepared to cheat.
But we really don't need another thread of speculation. Why not just enjoy their new found speed, while it lasts?

clipsy1H

any updates for this race!! i want photos!!! :-" :-"

BTW: can anyboddy post here a link where i find photos of every practice races ?