Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Timstr
Timstr

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

mantikos wrote:Never seen Mercedes use any aero sensors, do they even have em?
I suspect they may be the only team that has their windtunnel configured to do these test on a full size car inside the test section.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

The Sauber windtunnel discussion has been split out into a new Sauber team thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

ForMuLaOne wrote:Well, seems like when they developed their interlinked suspension, an aero guy had a beer with one of the suspension guys and thougth.....interconnect front and rear....wait....i can do something about it as well :D
DRS activated RRH! hehehe is that what you're implying?

zyphro
zyphro

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
zyphro wrote:They had been developing this, when Renault was developing the RRH too (Bob Bell was fresh out of Renault).

But how are they going to make it legal?
like they made the f-duct legal? attach it to some other system.. i.e brake bias adjuster?
True, I hope this really is true.

:D :D

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I'm enjoying the suspension discussion but it was distracting from the discussion of the car itself, so once again it has been split off (unless someone can point me to a previous thread so i can then merge...).

Here is the new thread for the mercury suspension:

:arrow: Possible Mercedes WO3 suspension concepts
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

New brake ducts for Merc

right click>view images

bhall
bhall

I'm usually one to tip my cap to a clever interpretation of the rules, but that's a bit much.

Timstr
Timstr

On Day 3 Mugello, they've also been running without the vanes:

ArchAngel

Was wondering what took them so long to break out the monkey seat from their garage bins. Expected that over a couple of races ago. :mrgreen:

As for the seemingly 'asymmetrical' FW, blame it on Mike's careless mechanic who keeps dropping the wing and banging it into walls. :mrgreen:

I'm not particularly worried about Merc not testing a new exhaust configuration, even as the other teams fall over themselves copying exhaust solutions of their rivals. Kinda like showing some engineering 'integrity' and standing by your development program & planned technical solutions in the pipeline. They have a plan, they're sticking to it & will do it their own way, rather than act like a headless chicken aimlessly copying the rumored best exhaust solution like the rest of the 'bandwagonners'. :mrgreen:

Nando
Nando

Interesting shape on the monkey seat.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Nando wrote:Interesting shape on the monkey seat.
Agree, as I posted a few pages back. The bend near the bottom, and the outward leaning angle of the pillars appear "by design". Contrast it to the McLaren version which has 2 straight pillars.
More could have been done.
David Purley

funkyfreddy
funkyfreddy

are two elements to the monkey seat allowed? I'm seeing a lower element near the beam wing and then the main top element?

___
___

funkyfreddy wrote:are two elements to the monkey seat allowed?
I'm fairly sure almost anything goes in the 75mm either side of the car centreline. The regs that define number of sections that make up the rear wing and beam wing explicitly exclude that area, presumably to allow flexibility in design of the RIS. I think that's only reason monkey seats exist as a concept at all.

siskue2005

Yup, you can even put a real monkey in that 75mm area...and it will be legal :lol:

ArchAngel

bhallg2k wrote:I'm usually one to tip my cap to a clever interpretation of the rules, but that's a bit much.
Anybody else here of the same mind or feels the same way?

siskue2005 wrote:
Yup, you can even put a real monkey in that 75mm area...and it will be legal :lol:
What a relief that must be for Massa, then. Even though he'll probably get the boot from Ferrari at the end of this season, he'll never be without a 'seat' in F1. Kidding! :mrgreen:

Another area for out-of-the-box, creative & innovative thinking from Merc, perhaps? A blown, triple-element w/ cascades lemur lounger? Why, Red Bull & Lotus would be up in arms again! :mrgreen: