Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Does disc drilling appear different as well?

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Gary Anderson reporting Merc are splitting the front wing decision MS will have the New wing for now, (No Cascades) and Nico with the older-spec to see the difference i guess

Huntresa
Huntresa

Ive never seen a wing without those upper elements since 2009, why havent anybody else run this as Low DF before?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's really strange for me to see them drop cascades. You lose drag of the cascade but add it on the tyre and lose quite DF. I mean I'm sure it sheds drag just fine but it seems a weird method of losing it and I'd have thought their would be better ways.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

scarlet
scarlet

Does anyone know why Mercedes run their car with such a soft suspension? Keep on seeing the cars rolling from side to side throught the corners and hitting front wing endplates on the ground. Apologies if it's been discussed already.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

ok.. it's Nico who's running the none-cascaded front wing

Ferraripilot

Owen.C93 wrote:It's really strange for me to see them drop cascades. You lose drag of the cascade but add it on the tyre and lose quite DF. I mean I'm sure it sheds drag just fine but it seems a weird method of losing it and I'd have thought their would be better ways.

If you notice, this new cascade is attached to the endplate directly rather than independantly mounted inboard of the endplates as the main and smaller cascade were before. This new configuration is more similar to how others mount their cascades now and I'd imagine the benefit for Mercedes to be further drag reduction for their already superior acceleration in qualifying, especially from lower speeds where they already have exellent mechanical traction.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Ferraripilot wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:It's really strange for me to see them drop cascades. You lose drag of the cascade but add it on the tyre and lose quite DF. I mean I'm sure it sheds drag just fine but it seems a weird method of losing it and I'd have thought their would be better ways.

If you notice, this new cascade is attached to the endplate directly rather than independantly mounted inboard of the endplates as the main and smaller cascade were before. This new configuration is more similar to how others mount their cascades now and I'd imagine the benefit for Mercedes to be further drag reduction for their already superior acceleration in qualifying, especially from lower speeds where they already have exellent mechanical traction.
I know where they were attached, but now they've got rid of it entirely.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

skgoa
skgoa

They might be compensating with higher FW angle. They can use DDRS to get rid of the increased drag from that.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Yeah might be that they can run without cascades cause of DDRS, since we havent had a low DF circuit yet so we havent seen it before.

Edit: Maybe not DDRS but the passive front f-duct or w/e

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:Image
Why does the lower brake duct turning vane, leading edge, look like it has an opening in it?

Brian

clipsy1H

any updates for this race?? i want to know plz.

aral
aral

clipsy1H wrote:any updates for this race?? i want to know plz.
Yes, front wing endplates are now split into two.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans