Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Formula One Young Drivers Test, Day 1, Magny-Cours, France.

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Forza wrote:Formula One Young Drivers Test, Day 1, Magny-Cours, France.
<snip>
I must say, the execution of it all looks very neat. Say what you will about this team (and boy, some among us do have a LOT to say about them), the fit and finish has improved massively from the W01 and W02.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Ferraripilot

NewtonMeter wrote:
Forza wrote:Formula One Young Drivers Test, Day 1, Magny-Cours, France.
<snip>
I must say, the execution of it all looks very neat. Say what you will about this team (and boy, some among us do have a LOT to say about them), the fit and finish has improved massively from the W01 and W02.

+1 W03 looks as if a completely different team built it.

I see they are testing with and without vents, I bet that's in preparation for Singapore.

elf341
elf341

I'm surprised they haven't changed the front wing.

Ferraripilot

elf341 wrote:I'm surprised they haven't changed the front wing.

I'm hearing they are running more rake as a whole. They are running the wing they introduced post-Monaco. Ferrari are not running with cascades either

raymondu999

I don't think they should at this stage. They're trying to bed in and fine-tune this system with only 3 days of track time. If you can isolate the system so that every change in the effect is caused by this exhaust, then you can better understand it for the future. If you changed the front wing together with it, then you don't know if something changed because of the exhaust, or because of the front wing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ferraripilot

raymondu999 wrote:
I don't think they should at this stage. They're trying to bed in and fine-tune this system with only 3 days of track time. If you can isolate the system so that every change in the effect is caused by this exhaust, then you can better understand it for the future. If you changed the front wing together with it, then you don't know if something changed because of the exhaust, or because of the front wing.
+1 one step at a time

mantikos
mantikos

Craig Scarborough‏ @ScarbsF1

High Res of the Mercedes update, it must be working well as its now running without the cooling louvers http://www.f1-direct.net/2012/img/epfrance/100.JPG via @F1Direct

Ferraripilot

I'm sure the louvres will be present for Singapore, it's very hot there and I'm sure everyone will have louvres somewhere.

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:I'm sure the louvres will be present for Singapore, it's very hot there and I'm sure everyone will have louvres somewhere.
I would assume elsewhere, not on the duct for the new pipe...I would assume that would adversely affect airflow too close to the plume. Anyhow, I assume thats what they were testing with the sensors too...I am just SO GLAD to see them actually use sensors, this is a FIRST...combination of Merc money and someone at the factory (Willis) who can use the results of these sensors with the new 60% model he's helped create in the wind tunnel he spec'd

turbof1

For some nice comparing:

New Mercedes exhaust

Current McLaren exhaust

So clearly McLaren still has more sidepod volume cut out then Mercedes, creating a much larger undercut.
#AeroFrodo

marcush.
marcush.

fit and finish... it´s a bit better than last years Volvo muffler...but what did them take so long to do it? even Sauber are through their 3rd sidepod design already and looking at Ferrari one would estimate a steep learning curve to get it right .

I ´m missing the all important front brake duct development here .It is rather obvious that this is an important piece of this years development .Williams claiming to produce theirs from 150 separate pieces....MGP may be ready with those in... 2014?

turbof1

marcush. wrote: I ´m missing the all important front brake duct development here .It is rather obvious that this is an important piece of this years development .Williams claiming to produce theirs from 150 separate pieces....MGP may be ready with those in... 2014?
You are taking the best of the class at that front :p. But you are right: Mercedes their aero is much too simple. Having a good base is one thing, firmly building on that base is another.
#AeroFrodo