A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Nando
Nando

Re: A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Has anyone seen my jaw? I seem to have dropped it somewhere after clicking on the thread.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Paul

Texture looks really nice. Is it similar to the CF used on the real thing?

PaulB

Hi folks!
marcush. wrote:paul ,is the television programme in Austria lousy or what ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[...]
It must be. :lol:
And no Formula 1 this weekend.
Paul wrote:Texture looks really nice. Is it similar to the CF used on the real thing?
Yeah, I try to fix my texture in the same direction as the real one.

The last days I did the first paint jobs on the R18s monocoque. Also the door hinges I added. Now, the most difficult thing on the monocoque is pending: the windscreen. Why the windscreen is so difficult? Because it is bent in two directions. It’s upper part (the grey one), where you can read Audi Vorsprung durch Technik (progress through technology) is something like an ellipsoid. The lower one, which is clear, has a cylindric shape and should be no problem.
R18TDIwindscreen

At the front roll over structure, you can see the door hinges.

Rear view.

Cheers,
Paul
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

RicME85

Words cannot describe your work and skills.
I am so envious, I would love to be able to do something to even a fraction of the quality of this or the RB.
Cannot wait to see this progress =D>

karayaone
karayaone

I am really waiting to see the engine!!! Superb work on the cockpit. Amazing skills!

PaulB

Hi folks!

A new update, but for once not on building progress:
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/2012/06/01 ... he-r18tdi/

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Paul, I know this is often stated, but your work is some of the most impressive and dedicated I have ever seen.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Ray

PaulB wrote:Hi folks!

A new update, but for once not on building progress:
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/2012/06/01 ... he-r18tdi/

Cheers,
Paul
I'm sure you have no interest in selling your work, but I would pay whatever you wanted for one of these. They are quite simply the best handmade racecar anything I've ever seen. You are an amazing talent.

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

hey Paul!

im going to the european le mans practice session and quali so i thought i would ask if you wanted any technical photos?
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Aussie
Aussie

WHAT!!! Paul...I am speechless this is crazy good work, mate. Keep up the amazing work

PaulB

Hey folks!

A bit of a time went on since I worked the last time on the Audi. But now, most of my exams are over, next Friday I'll have the last one. The last days I found a bit time to restart the project. I finished the 91-part steering wheel and am working at the doors currently. A few, not really unexpected, problems came up with the hinges but somehow I'll solve them.
AlpineF1 wrote:hey Paul!

im going to the european le mans practice session and quali so i thought i would ask if you wanted any technical photos?
Is there an R18 racing? Then for sure.

That's the steering wheel, 91 parts, 29mm wide, 19mm high.

For comparison, the Audis steering wheel beside the RB7 one. The main difference is the screen on the Audis wheel.

The left hand door base frame is already finished.

That's it for the mo.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

MIKEY_!

:wtf: your abilities are more than a little bit scary paul, well done yet again =D>

RicME85

Always left in awe of your abilities.
I always used to love cutting and glueing but if I tried something like this I would be all fingers and thumbs :lol:

PaulB

Hey folks!

Little small new update:
Yesterday in the evening I started with the first calculations for the engine. One quite helpful source was this article from Audi on their V8 Biturbo from Le Mans 1999. AUDI V8 FSI Even if it's a petrol and not a diesel operated engine, there is a few technical information regarding the Audi engine in there.

My research lead me to a stroke/bore ration of a value between 0.94 and 0.98 - a gentle short stroke engine. I've no guarantees that it's right, but it sounds quite usefull. The only available data were from the Audi R10 with a ratio of 0.98. I expected a bit a different ratio for a V6 (Audi R18) engine than for a V12 (Audi R10 -2006).

With the given capacity of 3700ccm distributed on six cylinders and the ratio between 0.94 and 0.98 I got this specifications:

bore: 93mm
stroke: 90.7mm
s/b: 0.975
and a length of the complete engine with camshaft drive system of 392mm.

I hope that I'm not completely wrong. It was much easier to calculate the dimensions for the Renault RS27 of the RB7 because the F1 regs dictates you most of the specifications.

My worksheet for the engine. A bit doodle and a comparison between F1 and Le Mans engines. At the top you can see the first cross section of the engine block. The red lines are the silhouette of the rear end of the monocoque.

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

AlpineF1
AlpineF1

well this is embarrasing i couldnt go sorry paul but keep up the stunning work its amazing
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook