2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Gridlock

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

hardingfv32 wrote: If there is no apparent benefit, why would you waste fuel with off throttle blowing? A lighter fuel load or a questionable aero benefit, which would you choose?
I'd not choose either unless I had at least 12 engineers and all of the relevant data available to me....

simieski
simieski

Re: Exhaust Blown Tyres

Just_a_fan wrote:...... The engine map was tuned to use the EBD to heat the rear tyres so that, when Vettel did his usual "slow them down, make them cold" routine at the start, he lost much less tyre temp. So he got a better launch and had more faith in the first few corners. The result was that he'd stick half a second on the rest of the field in the first half lap....
I like the theory, but wouldn't he be shooting himself in the foot with regard to getting front tyres up to temp?
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Richard
Richard

hardingfv32 wrote:Considering the complete lack on any consensus over the ideal location of the exhaust outlet among the cars, is it logical to assume there is very little benefit from the use of the exhaust flow. Remember, the team engineer developed the exhaust rules. They knew what was required to gain performance from the exhaust flow.

If there is no apparent benefit, why would you waste fuel with off throttle blowing? A lighter fuel load or a questionable aero benefit, which would you choose?

Brian
Surely it is a case of "is it logical to assume the teams are struggling to find the optimum benefit from the use of the exhaust flow"?

The holy grail is to have an effective exhaust direction plus off throttle blowing. The teams would look rather silly if the aero folk had managed to find a sweet spot with the exhaust and then the engine folk said "what's the point of off throttle blowing".

Obviously if the exhaust blowing can't be made to work, then the engine maps will be adjusted to maximise other parameters.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The theory isn't mine. It was mentioned a number of times during the season as I remember. I would guess that being able to get on the power earlier out of the corners would be a worthwhile gain if you're just as slow in to the corners under braking as everyone else.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Another half baked idea.

Brian

Pup
Pup

Such a negative nancy. :|

Pup
Pup

F1 Times is tweeting that Charlie has closed off the engine map loophole. It's a blow to the Renault teams for sure, but I guess it remains to be seen how this will affect the Mercedes teams.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pup wrote:F1 Times is tweeting that Charlie has closed off the engine map loophole. It's a blow to the Renault teams for sure, but I guess it remains to be seen how this will affect the Mercedes teams.
"The engine map loophole"?

Pup
Pup

See the article below. We know that the Renault teams are using a way around the off-throttle blowing ban, because Renault said so themselves, but there's a rumor that the Mercedes teams are doing the same.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

richard_leeds wrote:Surely it is a case of "is it logical to assume the teams are struggling to find the optimum benefit from the use of the exhaust flow"?
After all the CFD and wind tunnel work before the cars hit the track by many well equipped teams, why almost complete random design responses to date? There just is no significant performance to be gained. Now that is not to say there is not some 'minor' benefit with some of the configurations, but nothing is going to match the 'know' performance gain of carrying a lighter fuel load.

There is absolutely no reason that Whiting is concerned with off throttle blown, and no evidence that any of the more rule 'challenging' exhaust solutions make any difference either.

Brian

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pup wrote:See the article below. We know that the Renault teams are using a way around the off-throttle blowing ban, because Renault said so themselves, but there's a rumor that the Mercedes teams are doing the same.
The article below?

strad

From day one of testing people have said they sound like last year..still blowing off throttle.
So I say if they have been playing fast and loose with the rules that I hope Charlie cracks down on them. I am so tired of a society where finding ways to circumvent the intent of the rules is a way of life.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

beelsebob wrote:The article below?
Way below.

And here's the confirmation...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97662

So they say 'manufacturer' singular. Perhaps Merc wasn't involved at all?

strad

It's BS..you'd cook the tires.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Half cook, according to Brian.