2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

beelsebob wrote:Apply your argument to the RB7, and then realise how invalid it is.
Please expand. I do not see why. You want all the flow possible to the edge correct?

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

hardingfv32 wrote:
Pup wrote:My opinion is that the philosophy of the RB's rear end is in conflict with McLaren's exhaust solution, and the 'bridge', which is what's important, was Newey's strategy of resolving that conflict and keeping the airflows separate. It didn't seem to have worked.
If you want flow to seal the edge of the diffuser, why would you route some of the body air flow away with the tunnel? I know you are claiming that this makes it better for the exhaust flow to make its way to the edge, but why not use a system that routes all flows to the edge?

Brian
Why did Newey try so hard to separate the flows last year? Because doing so provides the best performance. Although this year it's a much more difficult task

Edit: I see beelsbob beat me to it :D

beelsebob
beelsebob

hardingfv32 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Apply your argument to the RB7, and then realise how invalid it is.
Please expand. I do not see why. You want all the flow possible to the edge correct?
If your argument was valid, why would the RB7 send the flow around the edge of the side pod to the coke bottle, and the exhaust flow to the diffuser edge.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Everyone uses a coke bottle shape. This is my point. They never have felt that it was beneficial to seal the diffuser with body air flow.

Now you are proposing to seal the diffuser with a exhaust velocity that is maybe 5 m/s greater than the normal body air flow. What has changed?

Would it not be more logical to feed the flow established by the coke bottle shape which has a more beneficial out come?

Brian

Pup
Pup

Where does this 5 m/s figure come from? Sorry, I don't feel like trawling through 20 pages to find it.

Specifically:

1. Where did the number come from?
2. Is it real?
3. At what speed/rpm is this figure valid?
4. At what distance is it valid?
5. Is this figure specific to the RB8?
6. Is it different than last year's relative exhaust velocity? Specifically how so?
7. Why can't a small relative difference still be beneficial?
8. Why can't something that worked so well last year not work this year?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Pup wrote:Where does this 5 m/s figure come from? Sorry, I don't feel like trawling through 20 pages to find it.

Specifically:

1. Where did the number come from?
2. Is it real?
3. At what speed/rpm is this figure valid?
4. At what distance is it valid?
5. Is this figure specific to the RB8?
6. Is it different than last year's relative exhaust velocity? Specifically how so?
7. Why can't a small relative difference still be beneficial?
8. Why can't something that worked so well last year not work this year?
I haven't been here long, but it seems you've just done a "Brian" on Brian? :lol:

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

I almost wrote the exact same thing, Grizz!

PhillipM
PhillipM

GrizzleBoy wrote: I haven't been here long, but it seems you've just done a "Brian" on Brian? :lol:
Well, it's one up on beating him with a big stick, which is the urge I often get :lol:

bhall
bhall

[My comments made much more sense within the context - and thread - in which they were posted. In the future, please delete my comments outright if they're summarily deemed immaterial to their respective discussions rather than move them and render the thoughts completely neutered. Thank you.]
Last edited by bhall on 12 Mar 2012, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

bhall
bhall

[My comments made much more sense within the context - and thread - in which they were posted. In the future, please delete my comments outright if they're summarily deemed immaterial to their respective discussions rather than move them and render the thoughts completely neutered. Thank you.]

bhall
bhall

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:Yes, I've definitely said it.
:lol: Are you done counting the tiles on the floor yet? This hour?

Welcome back from the Dark Side!
Last edited by Adrian Newby on 11 Mar 2012, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

alogoc
alogoc

Adrian Newey is a genius because of CHARLIE WHITING
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

bhall
bhall

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

bhallg2k wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote: :lol: Are you done counting the tiles on the floor yet? This hour?

Welcome back from the Dark Side!
In my defense, I was exhausted.
Duly noted!

I figured something was up, and you would catch your snap.