2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Pup
Pup

Re: Exhaust Blown Tyres

strad wrote:
Looks more like inadvertent heating of a portion of the tire rather than really trying to heat up the tread.
Yep...BIG difference.
:? The tire doesn't ask the heat if it's there on purpose or not.*

*Yes, yes, you will say - you didn't mean what you wrote. Sure, but then your explanation will be that the wimpy 'inadvertent' heat is considerably less hot than the more robust Heat With A Purpose that we're talking about here. Well. Well, to that I will let you know that these teams are trickier than you credit, and well they're going to disguise this heat so that the tire, gullible lunk that it is, will think that the heat's just nonchalantly dropping by for a visit just-in-the-neighborhood sort of like, and the tire will be all 'oh, hiya, heat, I think you're supposed to be over there by the diffuser' and then - boom! - before he knows it, our payload of heat is all up in that tire like nobody's business. That's the way they do it in this sport.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Yeah except when that added heat screws you instead of helps you.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Pup
Pup

Re: 'Engine Manufacturer' highlights exhaust issues to FIA

Renault announced before testing even began that they'd figured out a way around the ban, and Newey said too that he still had some exhaust tricks working, so I think it was pretty much just a matter of time before this came to a head. The initial report this morning was that Ferrari was protesting and that Mercedes was using the trick as well. But maybe it was McLaren or Merc doing the protest - doesn't matter. What matters is that it was done before the first race so that we don't have to deal with it then. This is no different than any other preseason protest, like the double diffuser issue or anything else.

Pup
Pup

Which is all in the finesse, right? Just enough heat at just the right time, and with a little luck you only get a half-baked tire, with that hot melted chocolate center that's just to die for.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

5.5.3 .....
The minimum accelerator pedal travel position must correspond to an engine torque demand
equal to or lower than 0Nm.

How does this rule apply to our discussion on cold blowing?

How do you get 0Nm at idle?

Brian

PlatinumZealot

The exhaust gas will not touch the tyres while it is spinning at high speed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

n smikle wrote:Cold blowing is just less fuel than hot blowing.
During what phase of operation is cold blowing pertinent to a F1 car?

Is cold blowing anytime the driver makes a request for torque?

What does this have to do with the rumored Whiting/FIA actions?

Brian

Mr Alcatraz

Re: 'Engine Manufacturer' highlights exhaust issues to FIA

Just_a_fan wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:As we know the manufacturer of the standard ECU is McLaren Electronic Systems. As to who, if anyone is exploiting it here-to-for is unknown. The identity of the team that has brought it to the attention of the FIA is probably one that discovered this loophole independently while investigating it for its own possible benefit from it.
Are you implying that McLaren reported it? It's widely reported that the Renault and Mercedes engined teams were already in on this. And McLaren are a Mercedes engined team.

That only leaves Ferrari and Cosworth...
If you read the whole post than you would realize that I agree with others this fits Ferrari's M/O
If anything one of JETs assertions suggested anything about a McLaren plot, (and I love a good mystery don’t you). Actually if I am either Ferrari or anyone else that fancies themselves at the top I would get that clarification for something Red Bull still have in the pocket!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

hardingfv32 wrote:Considering the complete lack on any consensus over the ideal location of the exhaust outlet among the cars, is it logical to assume there is very little benefit from the use of the exhaust flow. Remember, the team engineer developed the exhaust rules. They knew what was required to gain performance from the exhaust flow.

If there is no apparent benefit, why would you waste fuel with off throttle blowing? A lighter fuel load or a questionable aero benefit, which would you choose?

Brian
Very little benefit compared to what?
Anyway, the lack of consensus isn't the issue so much as the amount of attention being paid to the area. Several teams trying multiple options would indicate they think that there is at least the possibility of an advantageous solution. Those guys wouldn't be expending that much in resources just to pad the expense account.

Gridlock

hardingfv32 wrote:5.5.3 .....
The minimum accelerator pedal travel position must correspond to an engine torque demand
equal to or lower than 0Nm

How do you get 0Nm at idle?

Brian
You don't, you get zero torque *demand*. Idle torque is zero on this scale.

OO7
OO7

Is it the following article in the technical regulations that prevents retarding the ignition (at least below 80% throttle and 15,000rpm)?:
5.6.6 Except when anti‐stall or idle speed control are active, ignition base offsets may only be applied above 80% throttle and 15,000rpm and for the sole purpose of reducing cylinder pressure for reliability.

tjaeger
tjaeger

Makes me wonder. Who observed that the RB was still sounding like retarding the engine? Did someone not observe that early on?
Which other cars sounded like doing it? All Merc engine cars? And all RB ones?

Here we go the year of the 'Retardgate'.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

strad

and for the sole purpose of reducing cylinder pressure for reliability.
Let's see...Wasn't it Renault and Mercedes that said they needed it for reliability? If it was me I'm sure I'd say it was for reliability. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tamburello
Tamburello

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Feb

Hail22 wrote:The Male Red Bull has been neutered.

Bye Bye Off throttle exploitation ;)
I hear even more of that distinctive off throttle crackling noises on the Macca than on the RB.

Hail22

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Feb

Tumbarello wrote:
Hail22 wrote:The Male Red Bull has been neutered.

Bye Bye Off throttle exploitation ;)
I hear even more of that distinctive off throttle crackling noises on the Macca than on the RB.
Glad i'm not a Macca or Red Bull enthusiast.

Would be interesting though to find out which engineer snitched on the teams thinking of using this loophole/exploitation when the season started.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve