Paying Sky for F1....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andylaurence

Re: Paying Sky for F1....

I'd consider myself a die-hard fan. I've not missed a race since 1988.

It's not because I've got beef with Murdoch or any of that rubbish that I'm not upgrading, but simply because it's £20/month for the basic package, plus £10/month for the HD pack. I shelled out £400 or so on a Freesat HD box when the BBC got the F1 coverage thinking it was a good investment to watch F1 in HD in the future. I got one season out of it! More to the point, it's only 10 races that are not on the BBC and it's £360/year to watch those 10 races. For £360, I can take the whole family to the pub to watch the 10 races not on BBC. So that's my decision - 10 afternoons at the pub and some good scoff washed down with a cold beer or three rather than having a new box put in my living room.

andartop
andartop

I am not going to pay a single penny to watch F1, and that's NOT because I expect to get everything for free: I subscribe to Lovefilm and still buy original CDs, DVDs, BDs and games, rather than download everything for free. I am convinced the Sky package is good value for money, and could easily afford it, but refuse to contribute to F1 broadcasting becoming a paid for only service, which is exactly what will eventually happen worldwide if the Sky experiment succeeds. I believe everyone involved in the F1 circus is already making enough money out of it to be able to offer me a decent broadcasting service free of extra charge (I still have to pay for a TV license), and only charge for features like high definition, live race data, camera selection, etc. Just because media barons take advantage of sports fans' love for football, rugby, F1 or whatever in many countries doesn't make it right.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Websta wrote:I disagree - I think the majority of people who are complaining are doing so because of the cost. Sure, it sucks that you have to pay - but to go on and on about it, and to try organise boycotts etc (not on this forum) is waaay over the top.
Rubbish. I could afford to pay for Sky for myself and several others in here should I so wish. But I'm buggered if I'm going to pay that Aussie tw*t a penny. The guy and his organisation are a leech on society.

Having said that, my real beef is with the BBC for doing a toally underhand deal with Sky when they could have done a deal that was better for more people with a different broadcaster. A deal that would have allowed another terrestrial braodcaster to help out. But they were more worried about market share/ power than anything else. That and the fact that they bascially prevented any discussion about the deal before or afterwards. Try to get anyone in the Beeb to discuss it and you hit a wall of silence.

Having been a big Beeb fan, my view now is: "go and be a commercial operator" and cut them off from the licence fee. Cutting that little "tax" would certainly help everyone in the UK.

Of course, if Ofcom decide that BSkyB is an unfit person to hold a broadcasting licence then we could see all sorts of fun next year...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TomAsh
TomAsh

After what I've seen today I'm deffo not getting Sky. Quali Build-up was lame and boring. No ads during the race, but before it started, much hated 'Go Compare' ad was on every 15 minutes...

Can't believe that I've actually get out of bed and visit my mate's TV for that...
Roll on BBC highlights!

andartop wrote:I am not going to pay a single penny to watch F1, and that's NOT because I expect to get everything for free: I subscribe to Lovefilm and still buy original CDs, DVDs, BDs and games, rather than download everything for free. I am convinced the Sky package is good value for money, and could easily afford it, but refuse to contribute to F1 broadcasting becoming a paid for only service, which is exactly what will eventually happen worldwide if the Sky experiment succeeds. I believe everyone involved in the F1 circus is already making enough money out of it to be able to offer me a decent broadcasting service free of extra charge (I still have to pay for a TV license), and only charge for features like high definition, live race data, camera selection, etc. Just because media barons take advantage of sports fans' love for football, rugby, F1 or whatever in many countries doesn't make it right.

+1

Hopefully F1 won't sell exclusive rights to a single platform, subscription only broadcaster.

I hate the fact that if a broadcaster gets exclusive rights to a sport, they can hold it to the randsom of having to subscribe to their platform and other channels.

The broadcaster borrows money for a bid, then charges a subscription fee as well as adding it's own sponsorship deals and adverts to get even more revenue.

We end you paying twice through sitting through ads as well as subscription.
You could argue that it's just charging what the market will bear, but once a deal is signed, there is no market, it's a monopoly.

Should video on demand be offered directly from FOM, I would pay even on a ppv basis. I don't mind paying, but don't give anyone a monopoly on paid for services, and ideally don't allow ad breaks if it's a subscription service - only let them charge you once.

It's what drove football players pay so high and changed the sport forever. Hopefully they'll leave Rugby Union internationals alone for a few years yet!
Last edited by avatar on 17 Mar 2012, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Shakeman

I really enjoyed r5l coverage and sat on the sofa with iPad watching twitter feed was an enjoyable experience. Looking forward to the race.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I'm not paying for SKY, but I'm watching the SKY coverage (got a family SkyGO login). I'm also watching the BBC coverage only because I feel it's better quality, even including EJ! The SKY coverage I got up early for this morning was hard to watch, it was so diluted in an apparent attempt to explain F1 to people who had never watched it. I won't be getting up at 4.30am tomorrow to watch the build-up on SKY, I'll just get up to watch the race coverage and then watch the BBC coverage later in the day to get all the news/gossip etc.

If SKY provided a cheap option for getting the F1 coverage I might consider it, but I won't be paying for a full TV package just to get 1 channel. They should offer a £10 a month option which doesn't include the standard subscription, just the F1 stuff.

The main reason for watching it live for me is I want to follow the live timing, especially for qualifying, and I can't do this watching a rerun, especially highlights.

On another note, the iOS live timing app has gone from FREE to £20 a year. WTF!?

Just watching the BBC coverage, the SKY coverage was missing the interviews with drivers during qualifying, and an replay & analysis of the pole lap.

db__

It's not a matter of not wanting to pay for Sky (which yes I do find unpalatable for all the reasons already mentioned) but living where I do in London I'm not able to put up a dish so can't have Sky even if I wanted to - neither can I get Virgin Cable.

I did manage to watch this morning's coverage and can't believe how the same presenters seem to have swapped their brains for their wallets when they left the BBC. If I hear the mention of Dolby 5.1 once more....

will try the commentary on R5l tomorrow but can't wait for the first BBC live race.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Thing I found that was most annoying was because they are stuffing all the advert breaks in during the pre & post session part of the programme we miss out on impromptu driver interviews. The coverage suffers on a whole from the adbreaks as well, as they eat in to the running time, so they have to make the whole show longer. That's why tomorrow's pre-race is 1 hour 30 minutes long, it's probably got 30 minutes worth of adverts in there, who is going to get up at 4.30 am to watch adverts? Not me!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I have sky already and tbh, paying the extra tenner a month for a sport I love so much, (plus having some actual HD channels to watch on my HD tv) wasn't hard.

I would definately rather not pay for it, but I want as much F1 as I can get in any way.

Having said that, I can wholeheartedly say that I prefer the BBC team MUCH more. The Sky team seem to be lacking in people who truly have a passion for F1 outside of Martin Brundle and he's just an a-hole.

They only brought my new HD+ box and activated my HD subscription a few hours ago so I had to listen to Radio 5 Live for the qualifying and I actually really enjoyed it too.

Knowing the tracks by heart through onboard cams/games helped me visualise what was going on a lot more.

gurgeh
gurgeh

Watching the Qualifying today,

BBC:
Ben Edwards was cool
Great to see Jake and DC back

Amusing when Jake tried a Brundle style interview with Kimi Räikkönen... Kimi:"What are you doing?" Jake:"What do you think?" Nice recovery, it worked and Kimi started to talk.

SKY:
I disagree with sport being behind a paywall so I won't sign up.
Instead I found it streamed online in quite a few places.
First impression was that I preferred BBC.
Sky's version of Jake isnt as much fun.
One of the comentators made a mistake and had to backtrack "he's only 1 second behind" (i.e. 1 second is massive in F1)Shows big lack of understanding to me just there.
Good communication of the additional features (app, twitter etc.)
Nobody likes adverts.

gold333
gold333

Don't pay that scum Rupert Murdoch a penny. Just torrent the races for free off the internet (in HD).

Rupert Murdoch's empire (FOX, NOTW, MTV) is one of the only few handful of root causes that morality in society is as it is today. Don't give him a cent.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

NathanOlder

Sky coverage is great! The F1 programmes with Mansell, Murray, Hill, Stewart , Emmo are good watching, as are the highlights of the 88, 89, 90, 91 seasons iv watched already. The 94 season highlights are on this weekend.

The Race has 9 camera's to choose from, and the race highlights from Oz are on all week, withh access to all 9 cameras still. I have watched the race from onboard many cars now. Great Stuff.

As for the sky crew, you cant say one crew is bad or good, as its all down the personal preference. I love Martin Brundle and hate DC, so Sky was always going to win for me.

Brundle, Croft, Hill & Kravitz are better than DC, Edwards, Jordan.

Everyone likes Jake on the BBC , as do I. But everyone hated him to start with. before F1 he did kids tv (i think). So give the unknowns on SKy a chance first.

BBC picked Wimbledon over F1. How can anyone defend them ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

thevlack
thevlack

Nevermind.