Bahrain GP situation: postponed, reinstated, cancelled

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Race in Bahrain?

Yes.
29%
Don't care either way.
8%
No.
63%

Total votes: 93

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Change of date for Bahrain

Ethics and morals don't come into it at all and have no place in the decision. None of the countries which host F1 races have a spotless human rights record.

If you apply ethics and morals there would be no races at all, except maybe on the moon.

You cannot in all seriousness cherry pick which human rights atrocities you want to be unhappy with.

LionKing
LionKing

Re: Bahrain is reinstated! What do you think?

I hope that teams, at least the big 5 boycott the race. That would be the decision I would respect...

Another nice thing would be a top driver in the paddock tells exactly what he thinks about King of Bahrain in live televised interview...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

gridwalker wrote:This is disgusting. South Africa was the subject of a total sporting boycott because of systematic repression. I see no reason why Bahrain should be any different.

I endeavor to be an ethical consumer, so boycott many brands on principle. Strangely, my preference for drivers is influenced by any boycotts placed on the brands that sponsor them. Unfortunately, if Murdoch gets exclusive broadcasting rights, I will have to give up watching live races ... Either way, there is no way that I can watch this race.

Thanks Bernie, you've convinced me that Vettel should win the championship as quickly as possible. That way, there is no excuse to watch the event.
You pretty much have sumed my thoughts up as well.

Bahrain should have been canceled, not posponed. I think that the fact that Bernie/FIA wants a full callander this year is deplorable. I also think this is them trying to avoid a "Second Korea" as they say in press releases they are on track, but from someone i know that has family in that region, they say the Indian GP is about as far behind as Korea at this moment in time.

I wonder what would happen if so many drivers didnt turn up for the event?? I know that Mark Webber has tweeted (in not theese exact words) that he is willing to boycott the GP, and there are many more high profile drivers willing to do the same.

The situation is a mess.

Ive got nothing against the track as i like it, its the regime that its under im against.

Just more politicking to get the desired result for certain parties.

Although it could be worse, it coule be a Zimbabwe or Libian GP that is being put on, maybes the Syrians and Yemeni authorities have a track somewhere that could also be raced uppon.

I just wonder what would happen if the parties that want the GP to go ahead were faced with a dilema where the teams and their staff couldnt get Insurance for the GP and they had to say to the parties that are putting the GP on, we cannot go, our insurers have said we will not be covered.

strad

example:
This is disgusting. South Africa was the subject of a total sporting boycott because of systematic repression. I see no reason why Bahrain should be any different.
You guys are funny...After years and years of repression,,,NOW you're mad and don't like the Barainian government...You thought they were nice guys a couple of years ago.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

gridwalker
gridwalker

I never thought they were nice guys. A member of the Royal Family promotes the race and it has always been a rich man's plaything in a land where most of the local population can't afford to attend the race.

I've been a spokesman for the UK activist group Unlock Democracy and care very deeply about representative government. The way that nation is ruled whilst providing a naval base to the US military makes a mockery of the pro-democracy stance of the west.

It just goes to show that the current system values the dollar more than public opinion, which suits Bernie to a T. This is why I only try to "vote with my money" : it seems to have more effect.

But, please, can we drop that one? This kind of thread has a habit of getting heated.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

andrew
andrew

It goes to show that some observers like to pick and choose which human rights atrocities they want to be outraged about whilst at the same time turning a blind eye to other crimes.

I wonder if the track was the best track ever in the history of F1 if the opinions would be different.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Isn't that a bit off topic? The thread is about opinions on the race, not to start attacking the people who hold opposing views.

Please can we have this discussion civilly?

gridwalker
gridwalker

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 04 Jun 2011, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted 2 off-topic posts. Nothing to see here

myurr
myurr

I'm in the camp that believes that sport shouldn't get dragged into politics and that the event should go ahead. Holding the event could actually attract more world attention to the plight of the populace than if the medias attention were pointed elsewhere. And why single out Bahrain as being the event that should be boycotted when we have events in India and China, not exactly bastions of human rights.

What about the United States that has a habit of invading other countries and meddling throughout the world (often justifiably in my view, but not in the minds of others), or the corruption endemic throughout the European political classes? Should we veto and boycot those events? Where do you draw the line?

The world is full of differing opinions with different peoples of the world victimised, oppressed and persecuted by other groups of people to varying degrees. There is no one universal viewpoint that can be right, so who is to say which political views should be upheld by each sporting event? So in my mind I'd rather keep the politics out of F1 and find other ways to aid the less fortunate in the world than turning off the telly for a couple of hours.

aral
aral

Tazio wrote:This reeks. Unless there is discernable conciliation I refuse to watch this race on philosophical principals. No Brainer.
So, don't watch it! That will make no difference, and will not have the slightest effect on anyone, particularily the Bahrainis, who want the race.

Giblet
Giblet

There is all this talk about employees being ordered to go, but if it is unsafe, and recent force majeure in the form of a rebellion where unarmed people were mowed down in the street, I would be invoking my "right to refuse unsafe work" clause.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Tozza Mazza

F.I.A : Foolish Insensitive A**holess.
Disgrace.

andrew
andrew

gridwalker wrote:Isn't that just attacking a whole group of people? Last time I checked, that still counted.

I am one of those people : You have no idea what I do, nor the causes I support, besides the limited information I put on a forum.

I could continue listing the efforts I've made over the years, but this isn't the place.

This thread is starting to taste like flamebait; I don't have the time for that.
That is certainly not the meaning of the point I am making. I have seen comments stating that the race should not go ahead due to claims of Bahrain's poor human rights record. To me this is a (very) lame excuse. All countries which F1 visits have a poor human rights record due various atrocities, some more recent than others.

If you want to take this as an attack then that is up to you. I cannot state the point I am trying to make any clearer than that.

If the country is safe then there is no reason that the race cannot be held.

gridwalker
gridwalker

None of the other countries currently holding races are shooting their own civilians in the streets in between races. I don't know if there is a precedent : has any other country gunned down their citizens and kept their grand prix?

This is an interesting comparison though. Examples from other sports could make an interesting comparison.

Mr Alcatraz

gilgen wrote:
Tazio wrote:This reeks. Unless there is discernable conciliation I refuse to watch this race on philosophical principals. No Brainer.
So, don't watch it! That will make no difference
It does to me, and in an equally idiotic retorical tone I say "Then watch it, leave me my own opinion, and rest assured you will never be confused with Albert Schweitzer." :lol:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand