The effect of the temperature on the car's performance

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
lva_2060
lva_2060

Re: The effect of the temperature on the car's performance

Cold Fussion wrote:
lva_2060 wrote:
dj_mixmaster_2000 wrote:So what we're basically saying is that there are still enough variables to keep F1 interesting for a very long time. Score one for Science!!! :idea:
It just crossed my mind if the temperature of a wing's surface can have a considerable effect on its aerodynamic performance.
This is a hypothetical scenario, but I would like it to be discussed, in order to be proven realistic or simply absurd.
If we look at the shape of a current F1 cascaded wing, in a sense, it resembles a radiator. If the temperature of the surface of the wing could be lowered through the use of liquid nitrogen or substances like it, effectively, the front wing would become a large radiator that would cool the air down for the rest of the car to use. If not for such purpose, small filaments of liquid nitrogen could be implemented on strategic areas, inside the wings, floor, and or diffuser carbon structures.
Nitrogen and substances like it, obviously, have weight. But on the front wing at least, such weight could be used for the purpose of weight distribution.
There are lots of problems with this idea, not least of which, its safety. But i think it would be interesting to discuss it.
What is the purpose of such a system?
I assumed that the purpose would be a colder and denser air for the car to use. The front brake ducts would be provided with colder air, thus some of their area could be "taped" or reduced in size.
Lets forget the race. If a team could freeze the front wing by any method, without compromising its strength, for the few laps in qualifying, part of the car would receive considerably colder air, as heat is transferred from the air to the front wing. Obviously, the balance of the car would change in some level as the air gets progressively hotter. But, in theory at least, there is a possible benefit for freezing some key parts of the car.