Pastor Maldonado

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Pastor Maldonado

Nando wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Sorry but no, he won one time and now he suddenly is a god or something? He won one time, let him show some more good performances and then we can call him good.

On the friday in Barcelona he still was the guy that bought his seat, now he suddenly is world championship material?

Lets talk about Rosberg...
Although not everyone thought he was "just" a pay driver.
But 95% did, now see that 95% percent get shattered just because he won once.
Sure he had sponsors that helped him into F1 but the same goes for Vettel, Hamilton, and even the great Schumacher.
Mercedes paid Jordan $150.000 to land Schumacher a seat for example.
Difference is, these guys showed to be worth their place by immediately putting in good performances. And yes they needed money to get in f1, but these 3 together didnt need as much sponsorship money as Maldonado did.(as far as you can tell they eve had sponsorship money, they were all supported by a team or manufacturer, no sponsor at all)
Maldonado is also the most succesful GP2 driver in the history of the series.

He´s also a GP2 world champion and won it with a team that had never won it before.
It took him 3 years if I'm correctly, hardly succesful at all. Also he finally won it in the year that the quality of drivers in there reaches closer and closer to zero. The quality of drivers in GP2 is nowhere near it was when it started.

Former GP2 champions,
Rosberg
Hamilton
Pantano
Hulkenberg
Grosjean

And yet he was never "worthy" of being in Formula 1. He just showed everyone you had been wrong all along.
Here you prove my point, he wins once(with a quite amount of luck) and suddenly he is some sort of god. Excuse me but you now got one point to state why he is formula 1 material against a lot more points which proves he dont. Bravo!

Suddenly people seem to forget that he was banned from racing in Monaco once because he was a complete idiot and because of that killed a steward, while yellow flags were waved.

Also the same guy that just decided to drive into Hamilton because he overtook him some place earlier while both being on a hot lap in Spa last year.

Not to mention he completely ignored blue flags in Abu Dabhi last year, multiple times.

Then we have him creating Havoc all over the place when overtaking other drivers, or chasing down other drivers.

No, he still has to earn his place in f1 for me. He now is a pay driver with a win, nothing more. The guy barely knows the flag rules, he should have been out because of that a long time ago.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:Did he? Who's to say that any one of those other drivers in his position would not have managed a much more dominant win? What he's shown this season is that he's volatile but that he has talent. Winning this race does not suddenly elevate him to the level of Nando or Hamilton.
You mean already established guys like Hulkenberg taking a pole in the Williams, Hamilton being a world champion, Rosberg we know always was a good driver but never had the car etc etc.

I don´t think anyone is saying he´s the greatest ever but i think he showed everyone that he´s now a certified F1 driver.
Which not many thought. He´s well deserving of being in Formula 1 and yes he´s a bit aggressive but that will be toned down i think as he gets more F1 years under his belt.
stefan_ wrote:I don't agree with that. The incident with Grosjean is 100% on Maldonado.
Not even Boullier disagreed with that, his own boss.
Fact is your wheel will come off if you try and claim space that never existed for you. Kimi in China, Hamilton in Monza etc.
He got overtaken and tried to react but was way to late.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando
Nando

wesley123 wrote:Sorry but no, he won one time and now he suddenly is a god or something? He won one time, let him show some more good performances and then we can call him good.
You called him a god. I didn´t. I said the vast majority did not believe he was anything. And he proved you and everyone else wrong. He´s a certified F1 driver who´s now got it in black and white.
wesley123 wrote:On the friday in Barcelona he still was the guy that bought his seat, now he suddenly is world championship material?
Who said that? YOU did.
wesley123 wrote:But 95% did, now see that 95% percent get shattered just because he won once.
Season aint over yet. He´s put in some very good performances this year, some ended in stupid mistakes yes.
But who haven´t done mistakes?
wesley123 wrote:Difference is, these guys showed to be worth their place by immediately putting in good performances. And yes they needed money to get in f1, but these 3 together didnt need as much sponsorship money as Maldonado did.(as far as you can tell they eve had sponsorship money, they were all supported by a team or manufacturer, no sponsor at all)
Maybe some flowers blossoms later then everyone else. Again, not saying he´s the worlds greatest which you dreamt up.
The amount of money is irrelevant really, bottom line is they all needed it to get into F1.
wesley123 wrote:It took him 3 years if I'm correctly, hardly succesful at all. Also he finally won it in the year that the quality of drivers in there reaches closer and closer to zero. The quality of drivers in GP2 is nowhere near it was when it started.
It took Senna 4 years to win a title. Hardly succesful at all?

That´s not true, Perez was also in the championship, When Hamilton won his there was the same quality as it is today.

Di GRassi, Piquet JR and Glock when Hamilton ran. Some other guys are still in GP2.....

wesley123 wrote:Here you prove my point, he wins once(with a quite amount of luck) and suddenly he is some sort of god. Excuse me but you now got one point to state why he is formula 1 material against a lot more points which proves he dont. Bravo!
I´ve got several points on why he is Formula 1 material. You just haven´t paid any attention.
wesley123 wrote:Suddenly people seem to forget that he was banned from racing in Monaco once because he was a complete idiot and because of that killed a steward, while yellow flags were waved.
This is a lie. The guy did not die. Atleast get your facts straight.

bhall
bhall

Maldonado won a race in F1, not an easy feat and one that deserves some respect.

(That is, until it's Petrov's turn in the Pirelli Sweepstakes, and he wins at Spa.)

Morteza

Maldonado deserved to win Spanish GP. He was competitive all weekend. Well done! But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to win a race when your car is fast enough. He had the car and took his chance. Perfect weekend for him
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wesley123
wesley123

Nando wrote:
You called him a god. I didn´t. I said the vast majority did not believe he was anything. And he proved you and everyone else wrong. He´s a certified F1 driver who´s now got it in black and white.
Yes you think that because he won a race, just like anyone else thinks that. He is still the same idiot that will completely ignore blue flags the next race or ram you off the road because he feels like doing so.
wesley123 wrote:On the friday in Barcelona he still was the guy that bought his seat, now he suddenly is world championship material?
Who said that? YOU did.
You dont udnerstand it do you? No one, really no one talks good about him, and now suddenly after he wins once(which was, again, with lots of luck), everyone thinks he is a good and worthy f1 driver.
wesley123 wrote:But 95% did, now see that 95% percent get shattered just because he won once.
Season aint over yet. He´s put in some very good performances this year, some ended in stupid mistakes yes.
But who haven´t done mistakes?
Mistakes are human, yet you, and everyone else suddenly seems to forget the mistakes he makes. Also most of the field makes much less mistakes, creates much less havoc than him and acts more mature than he does.
wesley123 wrote:Difference is, these guys showed to be worth their place by immediately putting in good performances. And yes they needed money to get in f1, but these 3 together didnt need as much sponsorship money as Maldonado did.(as far as you can tell they eve had sponsorship money, they were all supported by a team or manufacturer, no sponsor at all)
Maybe some flowers blossoms later then everyone else. Again, not saying he´s the worlds greatest which you dreamt up.
The amount of money is irrelevant really, bottom line is they all needed it to get into F1.
And you point is? If Frank really signed him for the talent, he took enough with 10 mil, but how much did he pay again for his seat? He pays more for his seat alone than the whole grid does together.
wesley123 wrote:It took him 3 years if I'm correctly, hardly succesful at all. Also he finally won it in the year that the quality of drivers in there reaches closer and closer to zero. The quality of drivers in GP2 is nowhere near it was when it started.
It took Senna 4 years to win a title. Hardly succesful at all? [/quote]
Nah, but on the other hand, it took Senna only 3 races to prove how great he was.

[/quote]That´s not true, Perez was also in the championship, When Hamilton won his there was the same quality as it is today. [/quote]

No it is not
wesley123 wrote:Here you prove my point, he wins once(with a quite amount of luck) and suddenly he is some sort of god. Excuse me but you now got one point to state why he is formula 1 material against a lot more points which proves he dont. Bravo!
I´ve got several points on why he is Formula 1 material. You just haven´t paid any attention.
So have I to state he is not.
wesley123 wrote:Suddenly people seem to forget that he was banned from racing in Monaco once because he was a complete idiot and because of that killed a steward, while yellow flags were waved.
Indeed he did not die, but he actually was banned for life there, does that now make him less of an idiot on track?

PlatinumZealot

Maldonado to me Wesely was always a blazingly fast driver and he showed it by being faster than Rubens on average over 2011. Compare him the 2nd Coming, Hulkenberg who could barely manage old Ruby. See Hulkenberg now struggling against Paul.

Maldonado, for some reason I don't like him much, but I always knew he was the fastest of the rookies in 2011.

What he showed in Barcelona proves that he has not only raw speed but a steady hand and control of execution. He will be right up there with the Vettels and Alonsos in a year or two, if not this year.

Call me crazy, but I have him down for another podium. Sometimes a driver just turns on.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Just to let some of you guys know, I made this thread in March, before he took his win in Spain. He has been impressive throughout the start of this season, so its not like I have been jumping on any bandwagon. He has been unlucky in several races this year but he is easily out performing Senna and has been increasingly impressive.

Never would have predicted a win two months ago though.

ringo

Yes, i've been a supporter from the get go with the pay driver threads and what not. Kid is fast. Monaco 2011 was enough to convince me. Also if you bring up the 2011 stats he was putting the car in Q3 a couple times.,

Spain 9th
Monaco 8th
Great Britain 7th

Not bad considering his teammate's qualifying results. He had a couple close calls as well, so you see the speed was always there. Some F1 fans are just clouded by the pay driver thing, or the Chavez thing.
For Sure!!

Nando
Nando

Agree 100% RIngo.

What he showed in Spain was nothing short of impressive. Not just the win but everything.
Took P2 - "ok keep pushing" - what? you just fought in the middle of the grid last time, why are you so calm!?

Lost the start, does what any top driver would and try to box Alonso and only give him just enough space.
Kept his cool and "kept pushing" and voila, he´s ahead of Nando again.

Saving tires while Keeping Alonso out of the DRS but only just is an impressive feat.
He drove like a champion who´s been at it for years, i was thoroughly impressed by his exceptional calmness and focus.

FW17

wesley123 wrote:
Suddenly people seem to forget that he was banned from racing in Monaco once because he was a complete idiot and because of that killed a steward, while yellow flags were waved.

Indeed he did not die, but he actually was banned for life there, does that now make him less of an idiot on track?
Every racing driver ignored yellow flags at some point in his career.

Alonso ignored it big time in 2003, Massa and Vettel did it in the last race and got a penalty.

Pastor's was one that went more wrong than others.

Websta

Maldonado ignored red flags in WSR as well as his Monaco incident:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5nt7IdyPs[/youtube]
This could have been a very nasty accident, and they were red flags, not yellows. What was he thinking?

wesley123
wesley123

WilliamsF1 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Alonso ignored it big time in 2003, Massa and Vettel did it in the last race and got a penalty.

Pastor went more wrong than others you mean? He ignores the flags every race. Apart from ignoring the yellow flag in Monaco causing serious injury, he also ignored the red flag as seen above here as well as ignoring the blue flags multiple times. Unless he is color blind he is a complete idiot. There is no way you'll not notice a yellow flag on Monaco or a red flag in the vid above. And even if he missed the flags, doesnt he notice the rest driving more slowly and being more cautious?

Enough said, he is still a complete idiot on track, and therefore doesnt belong in formula 1

FW17

wesley123 wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Pastor went more wrong than others you mean? He ignores the flags every race. Apart from ignoring the yellow flag in Monaco causing serious injury, he also ignored the red flag as seen above here as well as ignoring the blue flags multiple times. Unless he is color blind he is a complete idiot. There is no way you'll not notice a yellow flag on Monaco or a red flag in the vid above. And even if he missed the flags, doesnt he notice the rest driving more slowly and being more cautious?

Enough said, he is still a complete idiot on track, and therefore doesnt belong in formula 1
In all fairness if blue flags are ignored then you get a penalty. I dont have the time to research the topic of PM and blue flags, but i guess it should be close to 0

I am not saying PM went more wrong, just saying the incident went ended up worse than so many other cases.

Nando
Nando

Come on Maldo, just keep winning races and stay competitive and maybe the 95% will have to eat their words.

He´s exceptional in Monaco so i think he will do good there, like last year before the incident.