Pastor Maldonado

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zyphro
zyphro

Re: Pastor Maldonado

n smikle wrote:
Maldonado, for some reason I don't like him much, but I always knew he was the fastest of the rookies in 2011.
Belgium GP? :lol:

Shrieker

Well, some people have the ability to remain impartial contrary to what you might think.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

What is he doing!

I initially thought that crash on Perez was not deliberate but looking back at it appears that it was. Absolutely no need for that.

Nando
Nando

I don´t think any of them really was deliberate, just really bad judgement.

If anyone saw the GT1 race last year at Silverstone? One guy was so mad he blew past the other dude waving his hand.
It ended up with him touching the other guy and they both wrecked massively.

It was never an intention to take the other guy out, just really bad judgement.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Nando wrote:I don´t think any of them really was deliberate, just really bad judgement.

If anyone saw the GT1 race last year at Silverstone? One guy was so mad he blew past the other dude waving his hand.
It ended up with him touching the other guy and they both wrecked massively.

It was never an intention to take the other guy out, just really bad judgement.
This incident:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94AmBfkcEzE[/youtube]

He had his licence withdrawn for a period of time and a 10 place drop at the first event of his return.

Personally i think Maldanado should have got a 5 place drop after his explanation, however Maldanado and Perez have plenty of previous from the 2010 GP2 championship.

myurr
myurr

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksrr9DbwP3I[/youtube]

BBC coverage of the incident and penalty. I don't know how any unbiased observer of the incident can claim that it was an accident. Even if Maldonado only meant to chop across the front of Perez and misjudged it, that is still an offense which deserves a strong penalty. So at best he got the penalty he deserved, at worst the FIA have shown themselves to be weak when dealing with a driver with clear anger management issues.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

myurr wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksrr9DbwP3I[/youtube]

BBC coverage of the incident and penalty. I don't know how any unbiased observer of the incident can claim that it was an accident. Even if Maldonado only meant to chop across the front of Perez and misjudged it, that is still an offense which deserves a strong penalty. So at best he got the penalty he deserved, at worst the FIA have shown themselves to be weak when dealing with a driver with clear anger management issues.
He said on SkyF1 that he lost the end and was correcting the car. Which if true is not that is now what it looks like. I initially thought it was an accident, after seeing it a couple of times though I now think it was on purpose. To be sure we would need to see inside Maldonado's cock pit to see what his hands were doing on the wheel.

myurr
myurr

JimClarkFan wrote:He said on SkyF1 that he lost the end and was correcting the car. Which if true is not that is now what it looks like. I initially thought it was an accident, after seeing it a couple of times I think it was on purpose. To be sure we would need to see inside Maldonado's cock pit
Clearly a made up excuse, just like he said "it was difficult, it was just an accident" after he deliberately drove the car into Hamilton in Spa. Seeing the on board footage would be nice, but I wouldn't expect it to be made available if it hasn't already. Don't the FIA only record the streams from 4 cars at a time or some such lunacy?

If he lost control of the car then I presume it was oversteer - he certainly didn't understeer into him. At the point of contact I can't see any massive opposite lock from Maldonado trying to avoid the collision. Immediately after impact he then applies the opposite lock, but not before. So I can only conclude that he is wilfully lying to cover up for his indiscretion.

strad

JimClarkFan wrote:What is he doing!

I initially thought that crash on Perez was not deliberate but looking back at it appears that it was. Absolutely no need for that.
Definitely deliberate..But I think he got more than he bargained for but I'd say Perez was acting like a punk on the streets. I understand his frustration but he has to behave in a more mature way.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nacho
nacho

Missed this before qualy, that's puzzling because I don't know if he is being an idiot or a lunatic.

waynes
waynes

his actions in a vehicle capable of 200 plus mph are a joke

he is a fantastic racing driver, however i hope Sir Frank has dragged him down and reminded him that although he is an F1 winner, his actions are the actions of a man in need of anger management. if he'd took Perez's wheel off he wouldnt be starting today. his petulance is very childish, and the sort of stuff you see in karting

grow the hell up and act like you are driving for one of the finest teams in Formula One

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

waynes wrote:his actions in a vehicle capable of 200 plus mph are a joke

he is a fantastic racing driver, however i hope Sir Frank has dragged him down and reminded him that although he is an F1 winner, his actions are the actions of a man in need of anger management. if he'd took Perez's wheel off he wouldnt be starting today. his petulance is very childish, and the sort of stuff you see in karting

grow the hell up and act like you are driving for one of the finest teams in Formula One
:roll:

Go count how many times contact is made between Arnoux and Villeneuve. What was Prost's penalty for booting Senna? Senna's for booting Prost? Schumacher's for booting Hill?

Why is there a TEN PLACE penalty for tapping someone's front wheel at forty miles per hour? Monaco or not, safety paranoia or not, there's no reason to jack with things on track. Fine them, suspend them, but let's cut this grid penalty garbage out entirely.

myurr
myurr

thearmofbarlow wrote: :roll:

Go count how many times contact is made between Arnoux and Villeneuve. What was Prost's penalty for booting Senna? Senna's for booting Prost? Schumacher's for booting Hill?

Why is there a TEN PLACE penalty for tapping someone's front wheel at forty miles per hour? Monaco or not, safety paranoia or not, there's no reason to jack with things on track. Fine them, suspend them, but let's cut this grid penalty garbage out entirely.
You can roll your eyes all you want, those were all incidents in the race between two people competing. Schumacher was lucky to get away with booting Hill, but what was his penalty when he did it to Villeneuve? That's right, disqualification from the entire championship. This is Maldonado's second offence, maybe he should suffer the same penalty.

Prost booting Senna, Senna booting Prost, those were both incidents where two drivers went into a corner without the intention of backing down. Should they have had more respect for each other? Absolutely. Should they have been punished more than they were? Possibly. But still there is a huge difference between driving as if the other car was not there as you don't want to give any quarter in the world championship fight and deliberately ramming someone in a red mist moment in a practice session just because they held you up a little bit when you wanted to go quicker.

And bringing up the Arnoux / Villeneuve battle shows what a joke your argument is. That was a battle for position where they were banging wheels as they tried to go side by side through a whole sequence of corners. They weren't deliberately hitting each other either, it's just very hard to fit two cars through that space and drive alongside each other like that whilst carrying racing speed through the corner so there is bound to be a little wheel tapping. Neither car was hindered or damaged by it, neither driver deliberately steered into the other, neither driver ever complained about it, and it was all conducted with huge respect for each other.

Maldonado clearly has a huge problem respecting his fellow competitors and suffers from real anger management issues if he ever feels someone slighted him. In my view that kind of behaviour has no place in adult life let alone on a race track. He is a thug and a bully, and the FIA need to stand up to him and show him that this behaviour is not at all acceptable in F1. Instead the stewards have chickened out from even looking at whether it was deliberate or not leading to the farcical situation where Maldonado is complaining about the inconsistency of the penalty!

stefan_
stefan_

It just crossed my mid. Didn't the front left wheel made Perez lose direction and kiss the wall in quali, the same wheel Maldonado touched?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

myurr
myurr

stefan_ wrote:It just crossed my mid. Didn't the front left wheel made Perez lose direction and kiss the wall in quali, the same wheel Maldonado touched?
That was Brundle's hypothesis.