Silly Season 2012/2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Silly Season 2012/2013

For some reason I don't like Alguersuari, especially after the track walk he did last year with DC in Italy when he was saying that he feels "like the boss ,like a super hero" when he drives and F1 car. DC was like "Eh, ok...I never felt that".

He has a plus because he drove all those new spec tires in a Renault, but I wouldn't like to see him at Lotus.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

stefan_ wrote:For some reason I don't like Alguersuari, especially after the track walk he did last year with DC in Italy when he was saying that he feels "like the boss ,like a super hero" when he drives and F1 car. DC was like "Eh, ok...I never felt that".

He has a plus because he drove all those new spec tires in a Renault, but I wouldn't like to see him at Lotus.
You are not the only one. I thought he was a total pompous twit, he was always overly critical on car set up and car was overly sensitive to extreme changes to set up.

I was more a Buemi guy, a driver that found a way to drive a difficult car in a difficult situation.

However the latest rumours are that Sutil/Senna for Force India with Di Resta getting the 5 or so races that Sutil cant attend like China, Canada, USA and a couple others as well. However Di Resta would get 8 FP1 sessions as well in Sutils car and 3 days testing pre season.

As for Caterham, its about 90% certain that Van Der Garde is in the seat. Marussia will settle for Glock & Chilton. Williams will be Maldanado and Bottas. Lotus will probably keep Grosjean on a performance deal where he has to score 70% of the points that Kimi is scoring. So if Kimi has 100 for the 10th GP he has to have scored 70 in order to be retained. This may be the only way to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Then the grid will be settled as HRT are closing down.

As the grid will be settled, then the talk will be then turned to FP1 seats and Test/Reserve & Development drivers.

With that, i think the grid will be sewn up for 2013 early this year.

The silly season is more or less sensible now.

PlatinumZealot

That Hamilton Mercedes move was one big ass domino! The whole field is shuffling!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Intego

Nando wrote:any link confirming it?
If it helps: Adrian Newey: "Jaime Alguersuari rechazó el papel de tercer piloto"

PS: I don't speak Spanish ... ;-)
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Nando
Nando

Intego wrote:
Nando wrote:any link confirming it?
If it helps: Adrian Newey: "Jaime Alguersuari rechazó el papel de tercer piloto"

PS: I don't speak Spanish ... ;-)
That confirms what i said though.

Article states Jamie turned down the offer, hence they asked Buemi which said yes.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

godlameroso

Alguesauri is a rich kid, his family has plenty of money and to be honest he seemed to me a better driver than Buemi. Also lets be frank the STR isn't much faster than Caterham, so for that car to score points is a bit of a miracle although it does nab the odd point or two. Furthermore STR did better last year, maybe they went backwards design wise, or maybe they went backwards driver-wise.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

godlameroso wrote:Alguesauri is a rich kid, his family has plenty of money and to be honest he seemed to me a better driver than Buemi. Also lets be frank the STR isn't much faster than Caterham, so for that car to score points is a bit of a miracle although it does nab the odd point or two. Furthermore STR did better last year, maybe they went backwards design wise, or maybe they went backwards driver-wise.
IMO as a driver Alguersuari vs Buemi was the usual conundrum of one having higher highs, but also having lower lows.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

Jamie doesn´t even seem to take things fully serious. Almost as if F1 is an extra job.
If you ask him what his passion is he will probably say music before he says F1.

raymondu999

Not been a fan of his BBC column either to be honest. Rather biased IMO. For some reason every weekend that passes by - his column seems to note that Alonso's chances of the title have increased. And he seems to praise Alonso's victories as works of art while Vettel victories are Newey's works of art.

I get that there is some truth to that - but honestly? Even other columnists (BBC, Sky, or whatever website) at least have some decency to offer some credit to the driver.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nando wrote:Jamie doesn´t even seem to take things fully serious. Almost as if F1 is an extra job.
If you ask him what his passion is he will probably say music before he says F1.
I really don't get why so many people here seem to think that you can't joke about things, and still be passionate about them, or do a good job.

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:Jamie doesn´t even seem to take things fully serious. Almost as if F1 is an extra job.
I really don't get why so many people here seem to think that you can't joke about things, and still be passionate about them, or do a good job.
The sad thing it´s not a joke. the guy is a DJ and he loves music.

I think that if you are one of the 24 out of 7 billion people you should focus on one thing and one thing only.
either you do music 100% or driving 100% not some sideshow-crap where he´s in F1 just because he can.

there´s a million other drivers that would A do better and B actually are 110% commited to F1 and only F1.

Richard
Richard

Nando wrote: I think that if you are one of the 24 out of 7 billion people you should focus on one thing and one thing only.
either you do music 100% or driving 100% not some sideshow-crap where he´s in F1 just because he can.

there´s a million other drivers that would A do better and B actually are 110% commited to F1 and only F1.
I wonder if you'd say the same about Kimi who appears to not care about F1 at all.

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

A person can ABSOLUTELY have a passion outside of their profession, or main passion.

As a musician I have to reference that there was a group called the Russian five. They were 5 of the gratest composers to come out of Russia in the 19th/20th century and they ALL had 2nd jobs. Look up Alexander Borodin and you'll see a slew of chemistry credits to his name in addition to his multiple operas and many many other masterpieces of Russian music, or Rimsky-Korsikov who had a highly successful career as a naval officer, as well as being a superb composer AND orchestrating most of Mussorgsky's work because his second job was alcohol. You can absolutely have two passions and be amazing at both.

Have you ever heard the phrase Ingre's Violin?
Ingre's Violin - Refers to the French neoclassical artist Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, who while famous for his paintings was also incredibly talented though less well known for his skill on the violin.

The phrase refers to a person who is known for one talent but is so exceptional at another unrelated talent they could be equally well know for the second if not for the first.
In short, Algesuari's love of music has absolutely no bearing on his performance as a driver.

(I acknowledge that this topic may have impacted me a little more than most, and I may be biased, because of my profession.)

Edit for syntax
Last edited by Absolutelee on 25 Nov 2012, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

lukeaar
lukeaar

Yeah saying you can't have anything else in your life in order to do well in one area is an absolute joke.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

I'm pretty sure it was Nando who was up in arms over Webber when he had his mountain bike accidents.