Alonso on Vettel vs Hamilton

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr
myurr

Re: Alonso on Vettel vs Hamilton

raymondu999 wrote:albeit it was the number 2 McLaren driver.
Who always struggled in the wet burning through his tyres too quickly. Look at HK's pace relative to Hamilton in Silverstone 2008 for example.

WhiteBlue

I think Alonso's comments largely reflect on the time both him and Hamilton have been in F1. They both had some opportunity to wrestle less than fully competitive cars over the years.

Vettel had some of this in 2007 but he wasn't in the spot light then and he wasn't as experienced.

Beside doing great things with less competitive cars both Hamilton and Alonso have also had their lows. With Hamilton it is fresh in memory from last year. Alonso had his own screw ups occasionally but they have never come as frequently as Hamilton's.

Vettel will have enough time in F1 to show what he can do. He has many years ahead of him. Sometimes he will not have a competitive car and then he will hone his skills in dragging such machinery to higher places than they deserve to be. I'm not concerned by Alonso's comments.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

PlatinumZealot

I think Alonso means in raw talent, speed, tenacity, intelligence, aggression and tactics. (i hope people know the difference between tactics and strategy!).

There is a saying: Real recognise real.

Alonso knows who is the best. As the top driver he is the best authority on this. However other drivers down the grid have echoed his sentiments.

Even Paul di Resta thinks he is better than Vettel.

Looking on fron a distance, Hulkenburg! also thinks he is better than Vettel!

To me, this is very meaningful.

I am a big track and field fan, and it very common that opponents can gauge each other accurately even weeks before they meet up to race! Peer rankings a very good way to gauge drivers!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

n smikle wrote:I think Alonso means in raw talent, speed, tenacity, intelligence, aggression and tactics. (i hope people know the difference between tactics and strategy!).

There is a saying: Real recognise real.

Alonso knows who is the best. As the top driver he is the best authority on this. However other drivers down the grid have echoed his sentiments.

Even Paul di Resta thinks he is better than Vettel.

Looking on fron a distance, Hulkenburg! also thinks he is better than Vettel!

To me, this is very meaningful.

I am a big track and field fan, and it very common that opponents can gauge each other accurately even weeks before they meet up to race! Peer rankings a very good way to gauge drivers!
If Hulkenberg thinks he is better then he has to prove it. Or else it's just talk.

I think Vettel is definately amongst the top 5 drivers amongst the grid. Maybe not the top 3 but definately the top 5.

raymondu999

n smikle wrote: Real recognise real.
Agreed 100%

But real might not admit real.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

Alonso says that Vettel hasn't had as much experience as Hamilton, and once he has had that experience, then Vettel will be equal. Nothing controversial there.

Nice to see the thread relatively fanboy free.

Goran2812
Goran2812

Maelstrom wrote:
If Hulkenberg thinks he is better then he has to prove it. Or else it's just talk.
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) why don't we rewind to the beginning of last season and put Hulkenberg in the RB7 and see how he does, shall we...

My God...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Nando
Nando

richard_leeds wrote:Alonso says that Vettel hasn't had as much experience as Hamilton, and once he has had that experience, then Vettel will be equal. Nothing controversial there.
Not really, he said more that we have yet to see Vettel win with bad cars or do amazing performances with cars not capable of winning a title let alone winning a race.
He doesn´t actually say that Vettel will automatically be as good because he gets more experience.

This is the time where Vettel has to shine if he want to be considered one of the best of today.

I´m just glad be stopped seeing the BS threads like "Are we entering a Vettel-era" etc.

Then when you tried to tell the people that the reason why he´s dominating is because of the car they all got butthurt.

Let´s hope this year is like 07-08 where the cars were equal and the driver´s performance over the season was what made the difference.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Echo

Don´t be silly guys, all of you knows THE STIG is the best.
Rich teams should only be allowed to win

Nando
Nando

Echo wrote:Don´t be silly guys, all of you knows THE STIG is the best.
You mean the stig who drove his fastest lap in the dry while Hamilton beat that one in pissing wet conditions? :)

Ahh that guy... ;)

raymondu999

Eh? Hamilton set the fastest wet time on Top Gear amongst the GP drivers - but it didn't beat the Stig's dry time. I'm not saying that Hamilton wouldn't beat it had his lap been dry. But your statement of Hamilton's wet laptime beating the Stig's dry laptime is false.

And of course there is this controversy: (for the record, I'm not taking a stance for or against this.)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQggvBk4asY[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

Oh well 3 tenths is nothing in that slow car. that´s like 0.0001 in an F1 car :)

Video was a bit grasping for straws as well, one corner, wet conditions, probably entered the first turn to quick, understeered straight ahead and got a compromized exit.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Goran2812 wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) why don't we rewind to the beginning of last season and put Hulkenberg in the RB7 and see how he does, shall we...

My God...
My point is exactly that. Maybe he is better. But since it has never been proved its all speculation. So Hulkenburg should know better than to make loose statements.

Lycoming
Lycoming

raymondu999 wrote:Eh? Hamilton set the fastest wet time on Top Gear amongst the GP drivers - but it didn't beat the Stig's dry time. I'm not saying that Hamilton wouldn't beat it had his lap been dry. But your statement of Hamilton's wet laptime beating the Stig's dry laptime is false.

And of course there is this controversy: (for the record, I'm not taking a stance for or against this.)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQggvBk4asY[/youtube]
Ben Collins (AKA the stig who set the time of 1.44.4) said in his book that Hamilton's lap was basically a dry lap. It was cold, and slightly damp at some points, but basically, it would have been slick weather not intermediate weather.

Besides, its a pretty pointless test. As Barrichelo pointed out, to be an accurate comparison you have to put 2 drivers in the car on the same day.

raymondu999

And as James Allison points out - even then track conditions change.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法