Alonso on Vettel vs Hamilton

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nando
Nando

Re: Alonso on Vettel vs Hamilton

Vettel we know of too little to speak of him in the same sense as Hamilton or Alonso.

Those two are proven fighters with different skill sets.
Vettel has yet to truly show any of these.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

PlatinumZealot

bhallg2k wrote:
_________ wrote:[Driver A] for his pure speed. he really drives the car; to and beyond its capability.

[...]

[Driver B] may not have the pure raw speed as [Driver A], but what he lacks there he gains in knowing how to race, rarely making a mistake you know the car is going as fast as possible for the given situation.

[...]
I have an inherently smartass tone that's often perceived as condescending, because, well, it often is. I say that now, because I'm going to try my best to temper that tone so any focus can fall on the substance of what I'm about to say rather than the style with which I'm likely to say it. And also because I really don't want to offend anyone or necessarily put anyone on the defensive. Honest.

No driver in the history of motor racing has ever successfully driven his/her car beyond its capability. Ever. In fact, many have died trying.

Simply put: a car driven beyond its capability is wrecked or otherwise hindered by the attempt. Every time. Without exception.

That's the very essence of capability. If a car can do it, it's capable. It might not always be easy to get there, but if it can do it, it's capable. If not...

On the flip-side of that coin, a driver driving as fast as possible for any given situation is driving his car as successfully as it can be driven. He/she cannot possibly improve without exceeding the capability of the equipment.

Simply put: it does not get better than that. At all.

I see these things said about drivers all the time, and it points to a fundamental and terminal flaw in the way in which drivers are viewed. Somehow, a driver who has considerable success, but also regularly exceeds the limits of his equipment, is somehow and inexplicably viewed as "faster" than a driver who has the same success, but rarely exceeds those same limits. How is this right?

I've deleted all names, because, frankly, I don't care who we're talking about or about who says it. Of course, you can figure it out, but it's immaterial nonetheless. It's the methodology that's frustrating. It happens over and over and over again, even amongst professionals who should know better.
I disagree with this from an engineering standpoint.

Your statement is only true for instantaneous capability. The cability of the car, on that tyres, at that time, at that temperature, at that corner, at that track, at that slip angle, at that speed, at that weather etc.

However there might be a point in time where the instantaneous capability has passed the design capacity, the test capacity and the ultimate test capacity. In other words it is very possible that a machine can operate outside of the documented window.

The state of the car at those instantaneous conditions may be well have passed any and all tested capabilities, that even if the driver is only at 98% of it at that time, it maybe STILL higher than the documented capability of the car.

For example. Toyota Supra. The engine block is trully capable of 1300 horsepower. The rated output of the engine is 340hp. It's a pressure vessel so more than likely it has a saftey factor of 3.5. for e.g. This goes to about 1100hp (FOR EXAMPLE PEOPLE)... So on the stress calculations and test sheet the engine was not designed or tested above 1000hp. It's REAL ultimate capability end up undocumented simply because it was not necessary to do that in the interest of time and money. In the manafacturing process you probably even end up ADDING more material to the design for things like mounting points, oil passages, bolt holes, cooling fins etc. The metallurgy might have been altered due to inaccurate technologies.. more alloying in the block making it even stronger (for example only.. I really don't know what added metals are in the cast iron block)
So - what you have is an engine block who's ultimate strength is untested, unknown and undocumented.

This means that the known capabilities of the engine block can be surpassed.

I think the same for a F1 car. A driver can push the car past its KNOWN capability.. obviously not the instantaneous capability.. but I think what Alonso and Hamilton is able to do is to take these cars into unknown territory taking the car past the rated or even the engineering limits.

Usain Bolt the runner is another example. Scientist had said before that a Human Cannot run faster than 9.65 in the 100m based on calculations.. Now that has changed to 9.42 seconds. He went past a predicted limit.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

bhall
bhall

I appreciate your response, and that you didn't get tangled up in the presentation. (I think I behaved myself reasonably well, but I've been very wrong about that in the past.)

I respect your opinion, and, frankly, I agree with the examples you provided to reinforce it. There's a breakdown, however, with regard to semantics. (And I really hate it when that happens. It often seems so petty.)

There's a very real difference between known capability and capability, which would probably be better stated here as ultimate capability, though I'm indifferent on that matter. But, with that in mind, my view is unchanged. A car simply cannot ever be driven beyond its ultimate capability. The result of doing so will always, always, always be a mishap.

Driving a car beyond its known capability is not the same as driving it beyond its ultimate capability; that's driving a car to its full potential. It may just seem like wordplay, but words are important, as they have a great influence on what we think. And I think that in much the same way as pushing too hard is as bad as not pushing hard enough when it comes to driving, being overly-reverential is just as damaging to any discussion as being overly-dismissive.

I dunno. I'm probably just being picky.

raymondu999

What bhall means is there is a single optimum lap where every braking point is ht perfectly, the appropriate amount of speed carried through, etc. if some corners are quicker done by rotating the car through the rear sliding, so be it. But you can never go past that. It's just physics.

It's probably not a lap that is humanely possible to achieve - basically it's about a car providing an ultimate laptime that's only theoretical, and how close drivers can get to that.

For example Hamilton's nurburgring 2011 quali lap. From what we saw previously at any point, the car logically shouldn't have been able to get that lap. But at the specific moment in time for every moment by moment breakdown, the car was capable of braking, accelerating and turning as it did.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

Lycoming
Lycoming

I thought that was mainly because Mclaren were the only ones that weekend that could get their tyres up to temperature. If memory serves, it was freezing during quali and the race.

raymondu999

It was the only one to get the hard tyres on. But that's irrelevant. My point is, the car was able to brake as late as Lewis did for turn 1, it was able to accelerate as hard as Lewis asked it to on corner exits, etc.

PlatinumZealot

Hmm.. Vettel has now lost 3-love to Webber in Q3. It seems he does not like the balance of the non EBD cars on Pirelli rubber.

raymondu999

More like he doesn't like the balance of non-OTB cars. We saw in 2010 before the off-throttle maps that Webber had the advantage too; after Webber found his superlate apex technique

ringo

Lycoming wrote:I think thats a fairly accurate analysis, and I could consider myself to be a Hamilton fan. Could you elaborate on the "grounding" part? I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Also, I think at this point, having him spend a season in, say, a Force India, would change little. He's had the experience of fighting for a points finish in the first half of 2009 and that did not seem to have changed much.

I would also like to add that I think there is a point to be made in that he does not seem to have developed the same level of maturity as even Vettel, which I agree, is in part a product of the way he was brought into F1.

Of course, there is no correlation between age and maturity.
At the moment i think Vettel is the most immature champion ever in F1. He still behaves like a kid, and he's disrespectful when things dont go his way.
Hamilton doesn't have a mean streak with other drivers. In fact he's quite respectful to all drivers, even Felipe Massa.
Vettel's middle finger, and insults don't come across as mature to me.
For Sure!!

Pup
Pup

Oops.

Lycoming
Lycoming

ringo wrote: At the moment i think Vettel is the most immature champion ever in F1. He still behaves like a kid, and he's disrespectful when things dont go his way.
Hamilton doesn't have a mean streak with other drivers. In fact he's quite respectful to all drivers, even Felipe Massa.
Fair point. Though I still wouldn't call him the most immature... people have been flipping the bird in F1 for a long time.

And worse.

mnmracer
mnmracer

ringo wrote:
Lycoming wrote:I think thats a fairly accurate analysis, and I could consider myself to be a Hamilton fan. Could you elaborate on the "grounding" part? I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Also, I think at this point, having him spend a season in, say, a Force India, would change little. He's had the experience of fighting for a points finish in the first half of 2009 and that did not seem to have changed much.

I would also like to add that I think there is a point to be made in that he does not seem to have developed the same level of maturity as even Vettel, which I agree, is in part a product of the way he was brought into F1.

At the moment i think Vettel is the most immature champion ever in F1. He still behaves like a kid, and he's disrespectful when things dont go his way.
Schumacher: age 27 when he wanted to brawl with Coulthard.
Senna: age 31 when he started a fight with Irvine.
Alonso: age 29 when he 'got upset' with Petrov.
Villeneuve: late 20's when he 'was not a robot'.

I can go on for a while, but you should get the point. Don't be delusional and confuse facts with fiction there.

PlatinumZealot

I think fighting is more respectful than a cowardly middle finger! Heck, I think fighting is honourable as long as it's not from behind!

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

mnmracer wrote:
ringo wrote:

Schumacher: age 27 when he wanted to brawl with Coulthard.
Senna: age 31 when he started a fight with Irvine.
Alonso: age 29 when he 'got upset' with Petrov.
Villeneuve: late 20's when he 'was not a robot'.

I can go on for a while, but you should get the point. Don't be delusional and confuse facts with fiction there.
The point was that Vettel is immature. By naming other people who have behaved badly you haven't proved anything but the fact that Vettel has now joined their ranks.

NathanOlder

True, on the flip side,

Its not a bad List to join
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC