Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Re: Ferrari F2012

Any confirmation and/or explanation about te alledged sudden loss of grip reported by ALO some laps before the end of race?

Kiril Varbanov

dr_cooke wrote:Any confirmation and/or explanation about te alledged sudden loss of grip reported by ALO some laps before the end of race?
His tires obviously dropped off - a typical characteristic of this year's Pirelli tires. Just at the moment you would expect an attack, you need to back off.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
dr_cooke wrote:Any confirmation and/or explanation about te alledged sudden loss of grip reported by ALO some laps before the end of race?
His tires obviously dropped off - a typical characteristic of this year's Pirelli tires. Just at the moment you would expect an attack, you need to back off.

I cannot remember where I read it, but Pat Fry was quoted saying they (we ;-)) would investigate as it had been so sudden

Shrieker

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

I can't for the life of me understand how McLaren can still screw pit stops even after causing Lewis to lose a well earned pole. There's something very wrong going on at McLaren...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The Gazzetta says today that they could not find any cause for what Fernando experienced, so they believe it was the tyres that dropped off.

Speedster
Speedster

Shrieker wrote:I can't for the life of me understand how McLaren can still screw pit stops even after causing Lewis to lose a well earned pole. There's something very wrong going on at McLaren...
That's probably why Lewis only went in twice. Better to lose a few seconds sliding over the track than to enter the gamble that is the McLaren pitstop.

Shrieker

Haha epic :D =D>
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

italian
italian

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
The Gazzetta says today that they could not find any cause for what Fernando experienced, so they believe it was the tyres that dropped off.
Autosprint says that maybe a big marble hit and damaged the rear wing. Remember that Alonso had available only used/lapped hard tyres instead of Maldonado who used new hard tyres.

P.S.: The Italian fans (in motorsport, soccer, basketball...) often use "we" without any problems. Fans & the team are the same thing :D
Last edited by italian on 15 May 2012, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

ArchAngel

What the man needs are eXXtra-hard Pirellis that will allow him to run a no-stopper and stay as far away from the pits as possible 'til the checkered flag. :lol:

Problem is, those are called 'Bridgestones.' :mrgreen:

radosav
radosav

italian wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Autosprint says that maybe a big marble hit and damaged the rear wing. Remember that Alonso had available only used/lapped hard tyres instead of Maldonado who used new hard tyres.

P.S.: The Italian fans (in motorsport, soccer, basketball...) often use "we" without any problems. Fans & the team are the same thing:D
fernando's used tyres are not 'used', they are run in constant speed during free practice so that surface of the tyre changes( i don't know details) and to have better characteristics when they are used in race.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

radosav wrote: fernando's used tyres are not 'used', they are run in constant speed during free practice so that surface of the tyre changes( i don't know details) and to have better characteristics when they are used in race.

Adam Cooper's Plus article, he reminds everyone Fernando was on used Hards from Quali after the pitstops whereas Maldonado was on new Hards.

Lap 10
Instead through the second stint the gap came down from 3.4s to 1.4s, Pastor taking full advantage of his first set of new hard tyres, while Alonso had to make do with an ex-qualifying set.

Lap 24
Sure enough when Fernando came in on lap 26 he was still trundling down the pitlane when Maldonado blasted past, having done his part by setting the fastest lap of the race – and he had new hards, while once again Alonso had to make do with used hards

Lap 44
Alonso eventually came in on lap 44 – taking a set of used hards for a third time.

F2012 around Montmelo
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQw7ejuuiuI[/youtube]
via F1DavidR

@Italian Thanks mate. I guess the Mods are unaware of how Italian people identify with their teams.

bhall
bhall

Is the use of scrubbed tires in a race that detrimental to performance?

Chuckjr

Guys on this forum will know better than me, but the car looked pretty stable on that lap--I'm assuming that was a quali lap (??) so he was pushing...? If so, then would others agree the car looked like it had pretty good traction compaired to the previous races?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:Is the use of scrubbed tires in a race that detrimental to performance?
I don't think so. I think Cooper is making it out to be more than it really is. The F2012 has proven pretty decent on it's tyres.

bhall
bhall

As little as I know about anything, really, I know even less about tires. But, I can't think of any reason in the world why Ferrari would send Alonso out on scrubbed tires three times unless there was a good reason to do so. Otherwise, one is pretty much left to assume that Ferrari somehow grossly mismanaged Ferrari's supply of tires all weekend.

EDIT: Hopefully JT will come around and corrected my ignorance, but I think scrubbed tires sacrifice a bit of outright performance in favor of increased longevity.