Asymmetric suspension setup in F1?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Belatti
Belatti

Re: Asymmetric suspension setup in F1?

DaveW wrote:Perhaps. I think however that dampers are impedance sensitive, especially when their response is characterised by "peak load peak velocity" plots. There is a very large difference between the impedance presented by a dyno (when the trajectory is forced) & that presented by a car (where the damper can make its own trajectory)....
And thats one of the big keys for why post rigs are such a big advantage over a simple dyno.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

DaveW wrote:
Eager Learner wrote:Is there any reason to run asymmetric (left to right) damping when the lateral mass distribution is not perfectly 50%?
Probably. I have often though about that as a solution for offset c.g.'s, but never had the confidence to suggest it seriously. It does appear to work for "oval" vehicles, but the "low risk" solution for me (and the best, I think), is to suggest moving ballast around. We often play with that to prove the cause of asymmetric response. Incidentally, the solution probably also requires asymmetric springs...

p.s. By ballast I mean anything that is not "fixed by function" e.g. batteries, electronics boxes, etc.
Belatti wrote:Then I would suspect of the dyno measurement, the purge and some other details, etc.. Even more if dampers are non presurized bi-tube. I have seen dampers measurements "normalize" after cycling them at different speeds, when recently assembled. I attribute the problem to shim+oil layer friction effects.
Perhaps. I think however that dampers are impedance sensitive, especially when their response is characterised by "peak load peak velocity" plots. There is a very large difference between the impedance presented by a dyno (when the trajectory is forced) & that presented by a car (where the damper can make its own trajectory)....
The cars that I mentioned previously, that were exhibiting differing problems in corners going one way compared to the other almost exclusively had offset weight and did not have ballast margin to play with or had no minimum weights. Just something to qualify a data point.

DaveW
DaveW

It is interesting, perhaps, that a Caterham, & presumably the Lotus 7 before it, has an offset drive train so that the vehicle c.g. is centralised with a Chapman-sized driver installed. Caterham discovered this (curiously) when they proved that making a left-hand version that worked was rather more difficult than simply swapping over the steering wheels & pedals.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

I'm guessing that this was inherited from the 'cheap&cheerful' racer's method of lowering the driver to reduce frontal area and cg height by modifying the axle to offset the prop shaft (the Lotus 6/7 was a cheap racer)

Belatti
Belatti

viewtopic.php?p=361599&f=6&sid=0fba9497 ... f1#p361599

Asymmetric tyre pressures for Hockenheim, a track with more right curves than lefts.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna